GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Advise - centre Piece (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/156891-advise-centre-piece.html)

Carl Scott 15-04-2007 06:16 PM

Advise - centre Piece

Hi all

I am very new to gardening and am planning a redesign of our garden , we are
thinking as a focal point to build a 2nd tier in one corner of the garden
approx 3 ft high , and about 4m in diameter , we would like to put a tree /
grass as a focal point in the centre of this , we would like it to grow no
more than about 10ft high , is there such a tree or grass , ideally it would
be quite decorative as well

Thanks in advance

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 16-04-2007 10:01 AM

Advise - centre Piece

"Carl Scott" wrote in message
Hi all

I am very new to gardening and am planning a redesign of our garden , we
are thinking as a focal point to build a 2nd tier in one corner of the
garden approx 3 ft high , and about 4m in diameter , we would like to put
a tree / grass as a focal point in the centre of this , we would like it
to grow no more than about 10ft high , is there such a tree or grass ,
ideally it would be quite decorative as well

Thanks in advance

Some of the Japanese acers are fairly restrained and might suit the spot, or
how about a bamboo?

La Puce 16-04-2007 03:10 PM

Advise - centre Piece

On 15 Apr, 18:16, "Carl Scott" wrote:
I am very new to gardening and am planning a redesign of our garden , we are
thinking as a focal point to build a 2nd tier in one corner of the garden
approx 3 ft high , and about 4m in diameter , we would like to put a tree /
grass as a focal point in the centre of this , we would like it to grow no
more than about 10ft high , is there such a tree or grass , ideally it would
be quite decorative as well

I'm pleased to recommend Sambucus racemosa 'Plumosa Aurea' Sutherland
Gold. Because I have one and it has just started, for the 5th year, to
take my breath away. It is a very beautiful tree, changing constantly
as the month go by, likes any type of soil, provide constant
entertainment from scented flowers to berries, bright yellow/green new
leaves to red in the autumn, plume like leaves and gracious arching
branches. You can prune it hard to ensure brighter colours, but I've
grown mine as a little tree. Looks a bit chinese, like a bonsai,
because I've kept about 6 branches and the growth clump at the end
together. Very effective. Won't grow more than 3m, about 10ft. Have I
sold it to you?

sam[_2_] 16-04-2007 10:30 PM

Advise - centre Piece

Carl Scott wrote:
Hi all

I am very new to gardening and am planning a redesign of our garden , we are
thinking as a focal point to build a 2nd tier in one corner of the garden
approx 3 ft high , and about 4m in diameter , we would like to put a tree /
grass as a focal point in the centre of this , we would like it to grow no
more than about 10ft high , is there such a tree or grass , ideally it would
be quite decorative as well

Thanks in advance

In the sun Magnolia Stelata is quite nice,
in the shade Camelia.

Sam.