Old 18-04-2007, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Am I too late to prune autumn raspberries?

I completely forgot in March, and now they have started new shoots.
Should I just leave them, or cut down last year's growth (which
doesn't seem to have any new shoots from it)? I'm in the NW, so it
hasn't been that warm - I am pretty sure the new shoots are only in
the last couple of weeks as I've been away but I don't remember there
being much new growth before we went away.

Thanks!

Katie

Old 18-04-2007, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

" wrote in message
ups.com...
I completely forgot in March, and now they have started new shoots.
Should I just leave them, or cut down last year's growth (which
doesn't seem to have any new shoots from it)? I'm in the NW, so it
hasn't been that warm - I am pretty sure the new shoots are only in
the last couple of weeks as I've been away but I don't remember there
being much new growth before we went away.

Cut out all the dead wood, and leave the new growth.

Alan

Thanks!

Katie

Old 19-04-2007, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Cut out all the dead wood, and leave the new growth.

Alan

Katie as these are autumn fruiting rasps you should be seeing new
young shoots coming from the ground by now. If so cut off all of last
years canes at ground level. It is a bit late but not too late.
Autumn fruiting fruit on current years canes, normal season rasps
fruit on canes made last year.
--
Rod

My real address is rodthegardeneratmyisp

Old 19-04-2007, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

Rod wrote:
"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Cut out all the dead wood, and leave the new growth.

Alan

Katie as these are autumn fruiting rasps you should be seeing new
young shoots coming from the ground by now. If so cut off all of last
years canes at ground level. It is a bit late but not too late.
Autumn fruiting fruit on current years canes, normal season rasps
fruit on canes made last year.

Or, if you don't have any summer raspberries, leave half of the canes. These
will fruit in summer and the ones you do cut down will fruit in the autumn.
Then you can cut the summer ones after they have fruited and leave this
years autumn ones to fruit in the summer next year.

(disclaimer: I'm told this works but I haven't actually tried this yet but I
am doing so this year. Has anyone had any success doing this?)

Tom

Old 19-04-2007, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Following up to "Tom" :

Rod wrote:
"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Cut out all the dead wood, and leave the new growth.

Alan

Katie as these are autumn fruiting rasps you should be seeing new
young shoots coming from the ground by now. If so cut off all of last
years canes at ground level. It is a bit late but not too late.
Autumn fruiting fruit on current years canes, normal season rasps
fruit on canes made last year.

Or, if you don't have any summer raspberries, leave half of the canes. These
will fruit in summer and the ones you do cut down will fruit in the autumn.
Then you can cut the summer ones after they have fruited and leave this
years autumn ones to fruit in the summer next year.

(disclaimer: I'm told this works but I haven't actually tried this yet but I
am doing so this year. Has anyone had any success doing this?)

I tried it by accident once and it seems to work.
--
Tim C.

Old 19-04-2007, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tom wrote:

Or, if you don't have any summer raspberries, leave half of the canes. These
will fruit in summer and the ones you do cut down will fruit in the autumn.
Then you can cut the summer ones after they have fruited and leave this
years autumn ones to fruit in the summer next year.

(disclaimer: I'm told this works but I haven't actually tried this yet but I
am doing so this year. Has anyone had any success doing this?)

It works. I've been doing it for several years with All Gold and Autumn
Bliss. However I don't leave half, I leave about a tenth, but that's
because I've got summer rasps as well.

I find these give _early_ summer raspberries, when left like this. So they
start off my rasp season and finish it!

Jim
Wakefield Yorks
Old 20-04-2007, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/4/07 2:29 pm, in article , "Jim
Jackson" wrote:

Tom wrote:

Or, if you don't have any summer raspberries, leave half of the canes. These
will fruit in summer and the ones you do cut down will fruit in the autumn.
Then you can cut the summer ones after they have fruited and leave this
years autumn ones to fruit in the summer next year.

(disclaimer: I'm told this works but I haven't actually tried this yet but I
am doing so this year. Has anyone had any success doing this?)

It works. I've been doing it for several years with All Gold and Autumn
Bliss. However I don't leave half, I leave about a tenth, but that's
because I've got summer rasps as well.

I find these give _early_ summer raspberries, when left like this. So they
start off my rasp season and finish it!

Gosh - perhaps I should try that, as I don't have summer raspberries. Do
they come out the same as the same variety would in the autumn? I have
Autumn Bliss.

I only have about four canes on a tiny patch so perhaps I would just leave
one.

Katie

Old 20-04-2007, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Katie Alcock wrote:
On 19/4/07 2:29 pm, in article
, "Jim Jackson"
wrote:

Tom wrote:

[...]

Seabrook said on GQT, 11 Feb this year, to prune _all_ canes of Autumn
Bliss down to the last fruiting shoot in spring (taking off about a
third). They then fruit in June. Then cut right right down and they
fruit again from August. But I rather think it may now be too late in
the spring for this to work properly, so perhaps the suggestion to do
only half this time is the best idea for this year.

--
Mike.

Old 21-04-2007, 12:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike Lyle wrote:

It works. I've been doing it for several years with All Gold and
Autumn Bliss. However I don't leave half, I leave about a tenth, but
that's because I've got summer rasps as well.

I find these give _early_ summer raspberries, when left like this.
So they start off my rasp season and finish it!

Gosh - perhaps I should try that, as I don't have summer raspberries.
Do they come out the same as the same variety would in the autumn? I
have Autumn Bliss.

Yes.

I only have about four canes on a tiny patch so perhaps I would just
leave one.

Seabrook said on GQT, 11 Feb this year, to prune _all_ canes of Autumn
Bliss down to the last fruiting shoot in spring (taking off about a
third). They then fruit in June. Then cut right right down and they
fruit again from August...

.... from new canes that should have grown new this year.

If you leave lots of last years canes to fruit in June, you might not
force new canes to start growing this year. The plants only have so much
energy to expend.

Old 21-04-2007, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jim Jackson wrote:
Mike Lyle wrote:

[...]
Seabrook said on GQT, 11 Feb this year, to prune _all_ canes of
Autumn Bliss down to the last fruiting shoot in spring (taking off
about a third). They then fruit in June. Then cut right right down
and they fruit again from August...

... from new canes that should have grown new this year.

If you leave lots of last years canes to fruit in June, you might not
force new canes to start growing this year. The plants only have so
much energy to expend.

That's what I would have thought, but Seabrook knows more than I do.
Have you tried it? I assume the whole bed would want feeding, of course.

Old 21-04-2007, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike Lyle wrote:
Seabrook said on GQT, 11 Feb this year, to prune _all_ canes of
Autumn Bliss down to the last fruiting shoot in spring (taking off
about a third). They then fruit in June. Then cut right right down
and they fruit again from August...

... from new canes that should have grown new this year.

If you leave lots of last years canes to fruit in June, you might not
force new canes to start growing this year. The plants only have so
much energy to expend.

That's what I would have thought, but Seabrook knows more than I do.
Have you tried it? I assume the whole bed would want feeding, of course.

As I said, I've only ever left a smaller proportion of canes to give
very early rasps, then my normal summer varieties take over. I do get a
wonderful crop from mid/late august to nov from the bliss and allgold.
I'm not jeopodising that :-)