Old 20-04-2007, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Whats the best thing to keep cats out.......... ?

Peter James wrote:
On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 13:49:33 +0100, Will Wilkinson wrote
(in article ):

In message , Howard
Haigh writes
"woodglass" wrote in message
. uk...
Whats the best thing to keep cats out of my parents garden ?.

New neighbours have moved in next door to my parents.

They have 7 cats that crap all over the garden.

We don't want to harm the cats, just keep them out of the garden.

woodglass...

You could try an ultrasonic pet scarer - these are small battery powered
devices that look a bit like the PIR detectors that are included in home
burglar alarm systems but they have a built-in ultrasonic siren supposed to
scare off a range of animals. If it's only cats involved then the variety
where you select the frequency range for the animal concerned is the
cheapest (they usually will have around 3 or 4 frequency ranges for either
cats or dogs or rats/mice or foxes I think). I bought a unit that has a
continually variable range that's supposed to deter cats and dogs and rats
etc... it seems to work for some cats but it hasn't kept the dogs away
(however I understand that when you also use the appropriate mains adaptor
for these units then they are a fair bit louder). If you choose to buy one
of these I'd suggest you shop around on the Net as I saw the same unit being
sold at twice the price by some retailers. Once you've spotted one you think
might be appropriate then Google the model number and you'll no doubt find
it being sold by several different companies at a range of prices.

HTH

Howard

We've had one of the Ca****ch ultrasonic scarers for a couple of years -
they do work and you can get an adapter to run them off the mains rather
than keep changing batteries. They're not cheap though, around £50 IIRC
but better than some of the cheaper alternatives as they have a motion
detector so only trigger on movement. The cats quickly learn that the
constant type aren't a threat and ignore them. Even the Ca****ch
benefits from relocating every couple of months so the cats don't learn
where the perimeter is. No connection with the company that produces
them, just a satisfied user. The RSPB sell them and no doubt other
stockists can be found on-line.

Will

I can endorse the comments made here on the Ca****ch scarers. I have two.
Ine that covers the back garden and we've been cat free for five years. And
one for the front lawn. Our little estate is open plan, and the moggies took
to using our lawn as a cat toilet. I bought a second Ca****ch scarer and
we've been cat free for the past 4 months on the front lawn. As a previous
poster said, move them around a bit, and if you can buy a transformer rather
than relying on batteries which are quite expensive.
I have no connection with the firm that makes them, other than as a very
satisfied user.

I'm sad to say that having purchase and electronic one for my Daughter
it does not work. the cats stroll past give it a look of disdain then
carry on their way. Maybe the cats in Manchester are different, or
perhaps they are all old, and like me their hearing of high frequency is
cream crackered!
Old 20-04-2007, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"woodglass" wrote in message
. uk...
Whats the best thing to keep cats out of my parents garden ?.

New neighbours have moved in next door to my parents.

They have 7 cats that crap all over the garden.

We don't want to harm the cats, just keep them out of the garden.

woodglass...

The local Humane Soc rents out cat trapping cages. One can then take the
animal to them and the owner will have to pay to get it back and also a
licence fee (cats must be licensed here). If one likes the neighbour, one
can hose the cat in the cage scaring the bejesus out of it.
Graham

Old 20-04-2007, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Howard Haigh" wrote in
message news:0t0Wh.4346

I can endorse these Electronic scarers as well, BUT, watch which ones you
buy. We have two to keep the vermin out IF they get past the carpet
gripper strips on the fences, however one is 'tall and upright' and blows
over if placed on a windy place.

Also, keep moving them about. Rechargeable batteries are best and if you
have two, get three sets of batteries.

With the carpet gripper strips, nails along the tops of gates and two
alarm things, we are almost free of the vermin and we have a neighbour
with three of the horrible things :-((

Should be drowned at birth or a massive cull made.

Mike

My sentiments!
Occasionally, a Great-Horned Owl (~6 ft wingspan) will take up residence in
the neighbourhood and feed on the damned things.
Graham

Old 20-04-2007, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Broadback
writes
Peter James wrote:
On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 13:49:33 +0100, Will Wilkinson wrote
(in article ):

Snip
[...]

I have heard this several times from people who've bought brands other
than Ca****ch, but never from a Ca****ch user, that's why we spent the
extra when we bought ours - what brand was it?

Will
--
lancre dot net - The personal domain of Will and Cath Wilkinson.
Send e-mail to news dot will at lancre dot net

Old 20-04-2007, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message
I spotted something the other day that might do the trick. A movement
sensing water sprayer, take a look at

Great idea. Would be better if only you could also control the direction of
the jet from inside your house, fit it with a web cam etc :-)

Old 20-04-2007, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"graham" wrote in message
news76Wh.100446$6m4.42372@pd7urf1no...

With the carpet gripper strips, nails along the tops of gates and two
alarm things, we are almost free of the vermin and we have a neighbour
with three of the horrible things :-((

Should be drowned at birth or a massive cull made.

Mike

My sentiments!
Occasionally, a Great-Horned Owl (~6 ft wingspan) will take up residence
in the neighbourhood and feed on the damned things.
Graham

Got any fertile eggs?

Wow you would do a roaring trade :-))

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 20-04-2007, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message

The birds in our garden are totally disinterested by CDs, even by Val
Doonigan
CDs.
--

Martin

Try a Max Bygraves one or two :-(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Clear ANYTHING

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 20-04-2007, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The local Humane Soc rents out cat trapping cages. One can then take the
animal to them and the owner will have to pay to get it back and also a
licence fee (cats must be licensed here). If one likes the neighbour, one
can hose the cat in the cage scaring the bejesus out of it.
Graham

Moggy clamping! Whatever next. Could be a job there for someone. Put signs
in gardens saying stray cats will be clamped and a fee charged for their
release. Send wardens around checking for clamped cats and tow them away.
Brilliant. Would unclaimed cats end up in a crusher :-) ?

Norman Digger.

Old 20-04-2007, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Whats the best thing to keep cats out of my parents garden ?.

New neighbours have moved in next door to my parents.

They have 7 cats that crap all over the garden.

We don't want to harm the cats, just keep them out of the garden.

woodglass...

How about a catapult? You wouldn't need to use "ammunition" that could
injure the cat, a little garden soil fired at them may be all that's needed
to frighten them off. You can get suitable catapults from fishing shops -
they are used to broadcast bait onto the water.

Can't help wondering if catapults were originally designed for this function
hence the name 'pelt a cat', cat a pult :-)

Norman Digger.

Old 20-04-2007, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Norman Digger" wrote in message
Whats the best thing to keep cats out of my parents garden ?.

New neighbours have moved in next door to my parents.

They have 7 cats that crap all over the garden.

We don't want to harm the cats, just keep them out of the garden.

woodglass...

How about a catapult? You wouldn't need to use "ammunition" that could
injure the cat, a little garden soil fired at them may be all that's
needed to frighten them off. You can get suitable catapults from fishing
shops - they are used to broadcast bait onto the water.

Can't help wondering if catapults were originally designed for this
function hence the name 'pelt a cat', cat a pult :-)

Apparently it's derived from two Greek words kata and peltes.

Kata means against and peltes means hurler.

Stephen

Old 20-04-2007, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stephen Stewart" wrote in message
Can't help wondering if catapults were originally designed for this
function hence the name 'pelt a cat', cat a pult :-)

Apparently it's derived from two Greek words kata and peltes.

Seems your spilchucker failed to correct Greek to Geek.

Mike

Old 21-04-2007, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message

"Stephen Stewart" wrote in message
Can't help wondering if catapults were originally designed for this
function hence the name 'pelt a cat', cat a pult :-)

Apparently it's derived from two Greek words kata and peltes.

Seems your spilchucker failed to correct Greek to Geek.

Mike

Yes but my catapult remark wasn't aimed at the hard of thinking. :-)

Stephen

Old 22-04-2007, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stephen Stewart" wrote in message

Apparently it's derived from two Greek words kata and peltes.

Kata means against and peltes means hurler.

I think the OP would prefer "pelt" as in the skin off a cat. :-)

Old 22-04-2007, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"CWatters" wrote in message

"Stephen Stewart" wrote in message

Apparently it's derived from two Greek words kata and peltes.

Kata means against and peltes means hurler.

I think the OP would prefer "pelt" as in the skin off a cat. :-)

Ahhhh so it's true then, there is more than one way to skin a cat! :-)

Stephen