Old 19-04-2007, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Whats the best thing to keep cats out.......... ?

Whats the best thing to keep cats out of my parents garden ?.

New neighbours have moved in next door to my parents.

They have 7 cats that crap all over the garden.

We don't want to harm the cats, just keep them out of the garden.

woodglass...

Old 19-04-2007, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"woodglass" wrote
Whats the best thing to keep cats out of my parents garden ?.

New neighbours have moved in next door to my parents.

They have 7 cats that crap all over the garden.

We don't want to harm the cats, just keep them out of the garden.

woodglass...

1. A dog and keep it outside in the garden! It's then your dogs crap in the
garden unless you take it for a walk (ie. to crap on someone else's grass)
2. An automatic water sprayer made for the purpose.
3. A powerful water pistol.
4. A well aimed bucket of water every time they appear.

When decided on your actions have a word with the new neighbours and explain
what you intend to do, not that they can do much themselves after their cats
have got used to crapping outside. Too late to train them to use a box. They
will then understand when their cats come home wet and you will have them on
your side (unless they are ignorant people).

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 19-04-2007, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"woodglass" wrote in message
. uk...
Whats the best thing to keep cats out of my parents garden ?.

A dog.

Mike

Old 19-04-2007, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 21:15:19 GMT, "woodglass"
wrote:

Whats the best thing to keep cats out of my parents garden ?.

A shotgun.

Old 20-04-2007, 08:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Well we have the same problem and even the dog doesnt keep the cats away!
They just look in disgust and find a higher perch to sit at...

I have read various ways such as hanging CD's up, putting orange peel on the
garden and "SilentRoar" pellets. Not tried them myself yet though...

Donna

. uk...

Old 20-04-2007, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"woodglass" wrote in message
. uk...
Whats the best thing to keep cats out of my parents garden ?.

New neighbours have moved in next door to my parents.

They have 7 cats that crap all over the garden.

We don't want to harm the cats, just keep them out of the garden.

woodglass...

I spotted something the other day that might do the trick. A movement
sensing water sprayer, take a look at
http://www.gonegardening.com/xq/ASP/...op/product.htm

Pussy won't like that, if it really works!!

Mike

Old 20-04-2007, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"woodglass" wrote in message
. uk...
Whats the best thing to keep cats out of my parents garden ?.

New neighbours have moved in next door to my parents.

They have 7 cats that crap all over the garden.

We don't want to harm the cats, just keep them out of the garden.

woodglass...

Believe it or not the answer is to get a cat yourself.

My cat uses a litter tray and keeps all other cats out of her territory.
I have not seen her back down to any cat including stray toms.

Old 20-04-2007, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"woodglass" wrote in message
. uk...
Whats the best thing to keep cats out of my parents garden ?.

New neighbours have moved in next door to my parents.

They have 7 cats that crap all over the garden.

We don't want to harm the cats, just keep them out of the garden.

Local Circus and lots of Lion shyte!

Spread liberally around periphery of garden.

Old 20-04-2007, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"woodglass" wrote in message
. uk...
Whats the best thing to keep cats out of my parents garden ?.

New neighbours have moved in next door to my parents.

They have 7 cats that crap all over the garden.

We don't want to harm the cats, just keep them out of the garden.

woodglass...

You could try an ultrasonic pet scarer - these are small battery powered
devices that look a bit like the PIR detectors that are included in home
burglar alarm systems but they have a built-in ultrasonic siren supposed to
scare off a range of animals. If it's only cats involved then the variety
where you select the frequency range for the animal concerned is the
cheapest (they usually will have around 3 or 4 frequency ranges for either
cats or dogs or rats/mice or foxes I think). I bought a unit that has a
continually variable range that's supposed to deter cats and dogs and rats
etc... it seems to work for some cats but it hasn't kept the dogs away
(however I understand that when you also use the appropriate mains adaptor
for these units then they are a fair bit louder). If you choose to buy one
of these I'd suggest you shop around on the Net as I saw the same unit being
sold at twice the price by some retailers. Once you've spotted one you think
might be appropriate then Google the model number and you'll no doubt find
it being sold by several different companies at a range of prices.

HTH

Howard

Old 20-04-2007, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20 Apr, 08:29, "Donna \(UK\)" wrote:
Well we have the same problem and even the dog doesnt keep the cats away!
They just look in disgust and find a higher perch to sit at...
I have read various ways such as hanging CD's up, putting orange peel on the
garden and "SilentRoar" pellets. Not tried them myself yet though...

The CDs are a strange concept really - I've read it somewhere in here
last week and thought it quite strange. I've never seen cats being
detered by hang CDs. Birds on the other hand are quite worried of
them. But I've used Silent Roar and it was great. It worked the
longest, but around 4 weeks is too short time for the cost of the
product. I only wish we were closer to a zoo. I have to find something
else myself. I've tried scatered crystals which made us very sick for
the smell was really over powering. Didn't last more than 2 weeks.
We've tried the plastic rod smelling of citronela. Didn't last either,
and I keep finding the rods with a pooh next to it ...

My tom's too old to be bothered of other cats and my she cat Lilly aka
Duchesse is most of the time on her cushion on a platform on the
second floor landing. She couldn't care who's or what's in the garden.
She's well above it all.

So far what worked for the cats from across the road is WATER from
water pistols held by kids. My kids enjoy this very much indeed. I
haven't seen 2 of hte 6 cats who had the courage to try our cat flap
into our kitchen even though we have 2 huge Belgium Shepperd dogs.
Dogs didn't deter them but well aimed water pistol did. I never tried
the ultrasound things - I don't like techy stuff in a garden.

So I recommend water pistols which are really good fun and don't hurt,
perhaps only some pride. If your garden is big enough, a water spray
on a switch would be handy. Every time the cats come in, switch it
on ! We've got a water pistol at the ready on every window seals.
Roll on summer ))

Old 20-04-2007, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Draven wrote:
"woodglass" wrote in message
. uk...
Whats the best thing to keep cats out of my parents garden ?.

New neighbours have moved in next door to my parents.

They have 7 cats that crap all over the garden.

We don't want to harm the cats, just keep them out of the garden.

woodglass...

Believe it or not the answer is to get a cat yourself.

My cat uses a litter tray and keeps all other cats out of her
territory. I have not seen her back down to any cat including stray
toms.

Can I swap cats, please? My cat can't even keep other cats from coming in
our cat-flap, let alone coming in the garden!

--
Linz
Wet Yorks

Old 20-04-2007, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Howard Haigh" wrote in message

[...]

I can endorse these Electronic scarers as well, BUT, watch which ones you
buy. We have two to keep the vermin out IF they get past the carpet gripper
strips on the fences, however one is 'tall and upright' and blows over if
placed on a windy place.

Also, keep moving them about. Rechargeable batteries are best and if you
have two, get three sets of batteries.

With the carpet gripper strips, nails along the tops of gates and two alarm
things, we are almost free of the vermin and we have a neighbour with three
of the horrible things :-((

Should be drowned at birth or a massive cull made.

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 20-04-2007, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Howard
Haigh writes
"woodglass" wrote in message
.uk...
[...]

We've had one of the Ca****ch ultrasonic scarers for a couple of years -
they do work and you can get an adapter to run them off the mains rather
than keep changing batteries. They're not cheap though, around £50 IIRC
but better than some of the cheaper alternatives as they have a motion
detector so only trigger on movement. The cats quickly learn that the
constant type aren't a threat and ignore them. Even the Ca****ch
benefits from relocating every couple of months so the cats don't learn
where the perimeter is. No connection with the company that produces
them, just a satisfied user. The RSPB sell them and no doubt other
stockists can be found on-line.

Will
--
lancre dot net - The personal domain of Will and Cath Wilkinson.
Send e-mail to news dot will at lancre dot net
Old 20-04-2007, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 13:49:33 +0100, Will Wilkinson wrote
(in article ):

In message , Howard
Haigh writes
"woodglass" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

I can endorse the comments made here on the Ca****ch scarers. I have two.
Ine that covers the back garden and we've been cat free for five years. And
one for the front lawn. Our little estate is open plan, and the moggies took
to using our lawn as a cat toilet. I bought a second Ca****ch scarer and
we've been cat free for the past 4 months on the front lawn. As a previous
poster said, move them around a bit, and if you can buy a transformer rather
than relying on batteries which are quite expensive.
I have no connection with the firm that makes them, other than as a very
satisfied user.

Old 20-04-2007, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Will Wilkinson wrote:

"woodglass" wrote in message
o.uk...
Whats the best thing to keep cats out of my parents garden ?.

We've had one of the Ca****ch ultrasonic scarers for a couple of years -
they do work and you can get an adapter to run them off the mains rather
than keep changing batteries. They're not cheap though, around £50 IIRC
but better than some of the cheaper alternatives as they have a motion
detector so only trigger on movement.

I got one with a motion detector, really aiming to keep squirrels
away:
http://www.zencatalog.com/PestContro...ar den_9.html

It was completely useless on any setting, all wildlife seemed
undeterred. However, my partner, whose hearing is clearly more
acute than mine, found it very annoying.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.