GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Can anyone please identify this April flowering yellow flowered plant? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/157160-can-anyone-please-identify-april-flowering-yellow-flowered-plant.html)

jim 21-04-2007 01:26 AM

Can anyone please identify this April flowering yellow flowered plant?

I would love to know what this April flowering plant is but I have no
books or knowledge of botany. It is about 10-12 ft tall in my
garden. It features long spindly branching stems - there are perhaps
60 making up the manifestation in my garden. The flowers are yellow
and superficially (from a distance) a little like dandelion flowers.
The leaves are a little like less hairy mint leaves.

My soil is very clay and I live on a hill where the run of water keeps
my soil pretty moist under the surface. I am particularly keen to
establish what the plant is because if the flowers are edible I aim to
make wine out of it. Can anyone help? Here is a link to a picture
of the flowers etc: http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/4088/dsc00026pu1.jpg

Any help very gratefully received.

Many thanks, Jim

jim 21-04-2007 02:41 AM

Can anyone please identify this April flowering yellow flowered plant?

On 21 Apr, 02:38, Anne Jackson wrote:
The message from jim contains these words:

I would love to know what this April flowering plant is but I have no
books or knowledge of botany. It is about 10-12 ft tall in my
garden. It features long spindly branching stems - there are perhaps
60 making up the manifestation in my garden. The flowers are yellow
and superficially (from a distance) a little like dandelion flowers.
The leaves are a little like less hairy mint leaves.
My soil is very clay and I live on a hill where the run of water keeps
my soil pretty moist under the surface. I am particularly keen to
establish what the plant is because if the flowers are edible I aim to
make wine out of it. Can anyone help? Here is a link to a picture
of the flowers etc:http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/4088/dsc00026pu1.jpg
Any help very gratefully received.
Many thanks, Jim

Kerria japonica

--
'She'

~Rosa Luxemburg

Thank you so much!

Jim

sarahsop 21-04-2007 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim (Post 706520)
I would love to know what this April flowering plant is but I have no
books or knowledge of botany. It is about 10-12 ft tall in my
garden. It features long spindly branching stems - there are perhaps
60 making up the manifestation in my garden. The flowers are yellow
and superficially (from a distance) a little like dandelion flowers.
The leaves are a little like less hairy mint leaves.

My soil is very clay and I live on a hill where the run of water keeps
my soil pretty moist under the surface. I am particularly keen to
establish what the plant is because if the flowers are edible I aim to
make wine out of it. Can anyone help? Here is a link to a picture
of the flowers etc: http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/4088/dsc00026pu1.jpg

Any help very gratefully received.

Many thanks, Jim

Hi Jim

I love this cheerfull bush! It can get quite big if you don't keep on top of it!

Its a Kerria japonica 'plentiflora'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plant...ages/442.shtml

Not sure if its edible though

sarah x

Sacha 21-04-2007 09:01 AM

Can anyone please identify this April flowering yellowflowered plant?

On 21/4/07 02:41, in article
, "jim"
wrote:

On 21 Apr, 02:38, Anne Jackson wrote:
The message from jim contains these words:

I would love to know what this April flowering plant is

snip

Kerria japonica

--
'She'

~Rosa Luxemburg

Thank you so much!

It spreads itself pretty rapidly, IME, so make sure it doesn't take over
altogether.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Muddymike 21-04-2007 10:58 AM

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
[...]

Having had it identified as one of my garden shrubs, I could have answered
that, now that is progress in my gardening knowledge thanks to this group.

Mike

Dave Hill 21-04-2007 01:07 PM

On 21 Apr, 10:58, "Muddymike" wrote:
[...]

It also comes in a single flowered form, supposed to grow to 6 to 8ft
but I have seen it around 25 ft growing out of the top of an Oak tree.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries