Old 21-04-2007, 01:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
jim jim is offline

Default Can anyone please identify this April flowering yellow flowered plant?

I would love to know what this April flowering plant is but I have no
books or knowledge of botany. It is about 10-12 ft tall in my
garden. It features long spindly branching stems - there are perhaps
60 making up the manifestation in my garden. The flowers are yellow
and superficially (from a distance) a little like dandelion flowers.
The leaves are a little like less hairy mint leaves.

My soil is very clay and I live on a hill where the run of water keeps
my soil pretty moist under the surface. I am particularly keen to
establish what the plant is because if the flowers are edible I aim to
make wine out of it. Can anyone help? Here is a link to a picture
of the flowers etc: http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/4088/dsc00026pu1.jpg

Any help very gratefully received.

Many thanks, Jim

Old 21-04-2007, 02:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
jim jim is offline

On 21 Apr, 02:38, Anne Jackson wrote:
The message from jim contains these words:

I would love to know what this April flowering plant is but I have no
books or knowledge of botany. It is about 10-12 ft tall in my
garden. It features long spindly branching stems - there are perhaps
60 making up the manifestation in my garden. The flowers are yellow
and superficially (from a distance) a little like dandelion flowers.
The leaves are a little like less hairy mint leaves.
My soil is very clay and I live on a hill where the run of water keeps
my soil pretty moist under the surface. I am particularly keen to
establish what the plant is because if the flowers are edible I aim to
make wine out of it. Can anyone help? Here is a link to a picture
of the flowers etc:http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/4088/dsc00026pu1.jpg
Any help very gratefully received.
Many thanks, Jim

Kerria japonica

--
'She'

~Rosa Luxemburg

Thank you so much!

Jim

Old 21-04-2007, 07:56 AM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
I would love to know what this April flowering plant is but I have no
books or knowledge of botany. It is about 10-12 ft tall in my
garden. It features long spindly branching stems - there are perhaps
60 making up the manifestation in my garden. The flowers are yellow
and superficially (from a distance) a little like dandelion flowers.
The leaves are a little like less hairy mint leaves.

My soil is very clay and I live on a hill where the run of water keeps
my soil pretty moist under the surface. I am particularly keen to
establish what the plant is because if the flowers are edible I aim to
make wine out of it. Can anyone help? Here is a link to a picture
of the flowers etc: http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/4088/dsc00026pu1.jpg

Any help very gratefully received.

Many thanks, Jim

Hi Jim

I love this cheerfull bush! It can get quite big if you don't keep on top of it!

Its a Kerria japonica 'plentiflora'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plant...ages/442.shtml

Not sure if its edible though

sarah x
Old 21-04-2007, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
[...]

Having had it identified as one of my garden shrubs, I could have answered
that, now that is progress in my gardening knowledge thanks to this group.

Mike

Old 21-04-2007, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 21 Apr, 10:58, "Muddymike" wrote:
[...]

It also comes in a single flowered form, supposed to grow to 6 to 8ft
but I have seen it around 25 ft growing out of the top of an Oak tree.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries