GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pollinating apple espalier apple (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/157230-pollinating-apple-espalier-apple.html)

Peter James[_2_] 22-04-2007 09:01 AM

Pollinating apple espalier apple

I've got an apple tree, variety "Spartan" trained as an espalier that is now
in blossom. I've also got a Crab Apple also in blossom. Will this be
enough for pollination or should I help with a small paint brush.

Chris S 22-04-2007 03:33 PM

Pollinating apple espalier apple

"Peter James" wrote in message
s.com...
I've got an apple tree, variety "Spartan" trained as an espalier that is
now
in blossom. I've also got a Crab Apple also in blossom. Will this be
enough for pollination or should I help with a small paint brush.

Hi,
I'd tend to play safe with the paint brush - unless you have a lot of
pollinating insects on the go at the moment - bumble bees and the like.
Chris S

cliff_the_gardener 22-04-2007 06:44 PM

Pollinating apple espalier apple

Peter
I would not worry about pollination, for Spartan is self fertile
Regards
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire