GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Is my stick (actually a Star Magnolia) dead? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/157268-my-stick-actually-star-magnolia-dead.html)

huLLy not in Greece 22-04-2007 05:33 PM

Is my stick (actually a Star Magnolia) dead?

Hello,

I purchased a Star Magnolia from the Daily Telegraph in the middle of March
this year, planted it the same day etc. So far, no sign of life.. it's just
a stick in the mud!

Is this normal? When should I expect to see any sign of life?

Cheers..

--

huLLy
Tel: 07976 123278

Sacha 22-04-2007 05:40 PM

Is my stick (actually a Star Magnolia) dead?

On 22/4/07 17:33, in article ,
"huLLy not in Greece" wrote:

Hello,

I purchased a Star Magnolia from the Daily Telegraph in the middle of March
this year, planted it the same day etc. So far, no sign of life.. it's just
a stick in the mud!

Is this normal? When should I expect to see any sign of life?

Cheers..

Well down here in the SW they're all in leaf, having flowered, too.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

huLLy not in Greece 22-04-2007 05:50 PM

Is my stick (actually a Star Magnolia) dead?

Sacha wrote:
On 22/4/07 17:33, in article
, "huLLy not in Greece"
wrote:

Hello,

I purchased a Star Magnolia from the Daily Telegraph in the middle
of March this year, planted it the same day etc. So far, no sign of
life.. it's just a stick in the mud!

Is this normal? When should I expect to see any sign of life?

Cheers..

Well down here in the SW they're all in leaf, having flowered, too.

Well I'm down in sunny Littlehampton and it looks like this star mag is dead
as a dead thing - cheers
--

huLLy
Tel: 07976 123278

Sacha 22-04-2007 05:56 PM

Is my stick (actually a Star Magnolia) dead?

On 22/4/07 17:50, in article ,
"huLLy not in Greece" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 22/4/07 17:33, in article
, "huLLy not in Greece"
wrote:

Hello,

I purchased a Star Magnolia from the Daily Telegraph in the middle
of March this year, planted it the same day etc. So far, no sign of
life.. it's just a stick in the mud!

Is this normal? When should I expect to see any sign of life?

Cheers..

Well down here in the SW they're all in leaf, having flowered, too.

Well I'm down in sunny Littlehampton and it looks like this star mag is dead
as a dead thing - cheers

You could try scraping a teeny tiny bit of the bark to see if it's still
green underneath and if it is, leave it alone. Miracles do happen!

K 22-04-2007 06:49 PM

Is my stick (actually a Star Magnolia) dead?

huLLy not in Greece writes
Hello,

I purchased a Star Magnolia from the Daily Telegraph in the middle of March
this year, planted it the same day etc. So far, no sign of life.. it's just
a stick in the mud!

Is this normal? When should I expect to see any sign of life?

The leaves on ours have just sprouted (Yorks). Flowers just beginning
to go over.

You could try scraping a tiny bit of bark off with a fingernail - if
it's brown underneath, it's definitely dead, if it's green, there's
still hope.
--
Kay

huLLy not in Greece 22-04-2007 07:00 PM

K wrote:
huLLy not in Greece writes
Hello,

I purchased a Star Magnolia from the Daily Telegraph in the middle
of March this year, planted it the same day etc. So far, no sign of
life.. it's just a stick in the mud!

Is this normal? When should I expect to see any sign of life?

The leaves on ours have just sprouted (Yorks). Flowers just beginning
to go over.

You could try scraping a tiny bit of bark off with a fingernail - if
it's brown underneath, it's definitely dead, if it's green, there's
still hope.

There was a layer of green... so all looks hopeful.. maybe it was in shock
this year! I'll keep it fed and watered till next year...

Thanks all
--

huLLy sans fingers vert
Tel: 07976 123278

Sacha 22-04-2007 07:06 PM

Is my stick (actually a Star Magnolia) dead?

On 22/4/07 19:00, in article , "huLLy
not in Greece" wrote:

K wrote:
huLLy not in Greece writes
Hello,

I purchased a Star Magnolia from the Daily Telegraph in the middle
of March this year, planted it the same day etc. So far, no sign of
life.. it's just a stick in the mud!

Is this normal? When should I expect to see any sign of life?

The leaves on ours have just sprouted (Yorks). Flowers just beginning
to go over.

You could try scraping a tiny bit of bark off with a fingernail - if
it's brown underneath, it's definitely dead, if it's green, there's
still hope.

There was a layer of green... so all looks hopeful.. maybe it was in shock
this year! I'll keep it fed and watered till next year...

Thanks all

When you got it, how big was it?

huLLy not in Greece 22-04-2007 07:22 PM

Is my stick (actually a Star Magnolia) dead?

Sacha wrote:

When you got it, how big was it?

It's just under a metre, with about 3 or 4 off shoots, each under 5cm's..
the average diameter of said stick is about 9mm...

--

huLLy
Tel: 07976 123278

Sacha 22-04-2007 11:23 PM

Is my stick (actually a Star Magnolia) dead?

On 22/4/07 19:22, in article ,
"huLLy not in Greece" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

When you got it, how big was it?

It's just under a metre, with about 3 or 4 off shoots, each under 5cm's..
the average diameter of said stick is about 9mm...

And you put it straight into the garden, I imagine? Weeeellll, all I'm
going to say is that we bought a Magnolia wiesneri from a famous nursery
about 4 years ago and it roughly fits your physical dimensions description.
We actually saw and chose this plant because I really wanted it BUT Ray put
it into a polytunnel and nurtured it for a year or so before planting it
into the garden. I'm not saying your baby Magnolia is going to die but I am
saying that some of these 'special offer' plants are youngsters that might
do better for a bit of cosseting and, IMO, inexperienced gardeners don't
know this. So - you can't dig yours up and put it in a greenhouse now, so
leave it be. Make sure it drains well and in cold weather, put a bit of
horticultural fleece round it and I think it will make it. But with all
possible respect, I would suggest that you get to know your plants by buying
future stock from known and trusted nurserymen or garden centres with
knowledgeable staff.

Carol Hague 23-04-2007 01:30 PM

Is my stick (actually a Star Magnolia) dead?

Sacha wrote:

On 22/4/07 17:50, in article ,
"huLLy not in Greece" wrote:

You could try scraping a teeny tiny bit of the bark to see if it's still
green underneath and if it is, leave it alone. Miracles do happen!

But do it with a knife, not a fingernail.

I worked with a gentleman recently who lost part of his thumb to an
infection after doing a similar test on a possibly dead tree.

I daresay this is quite a rare thing, but better safe than sorry !

--
Carol
"The glassblower's cat is bompstable"