GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Unknown Veg (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/157397-unknown-veg.html)

Dave Hill 25-04-2007 10:29 AM

Unknown Veg

This year I bought a Veg from a market stall in Malta, it is in the
marrow family. I think a friend called it the 100 year fruit? but I
wont swear to this.
The stall I bought it of spoke no English, and the Maltese name name
for it just went in one ear and out the other..
http://www.twango.com/channel/Taffy4u2.Unknown

When I bought it it had young shoots growing from the stalk end.
The fruit is very dense and a heavily pitted surface.

Also on site it a pic of a pink flower. These were bought as seed of a
supposed Solanium, it is not, the plants have been inside a cold poly
tunnel and they died back to the ground for the winter,
Any ideas?
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Stewart Robert Hinsley 25-04-2007 10:59 AM

Unknown Veg

In message .com, Dave
Hill writes
This year I bought a Veg from a market stall in Malta, it is in the
marrow family. I think a friend called it the 100 year fruit? but I
wont swear to this.
The stall I bought it of spoke no English, and the Maltese name name
for it just went in one ear and out the other..
http://www.twango.com/channel/Taffy4u2.Unknown

When I bought it it had young shoots growing from the stalk end.
The fruit is very dense and a heavily pitted surface.

Also on site it a pic of a pink flower. These were bought as seed of a
supposed Solanium, it is not, the plants have been inside a cold poly
tunnel and they died back to the ground for the winter,
Any ideas?

Try Phytolacca (pokewood).

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

K 25-04-2007 12:01 PM

Unknown Veg

Dave Hill writes
This year I bought a Veg from a market stall in Malta, it is in the
marrow family. I think a friend called it the 100 year fruit? but I
wont swear to this.
The stall I bought it of spoke no English, and the Maltese name name
for it just went in one ear and out the other..
http://www.twango.com/channel/Taffy4u2.Unknown

When I bought it it had young shoots growing from the stalk end.
The fruit is very dense and a heavily pitted surface.

Also on site it a pic of a pink flower. These were bought as seed of a
supposed Solanium, it is not, the plants have been inside a cold poly
tunnel and they died back to the ground for the winter,

Looks like Pokeweed. Has very juicy black berries, poisonous. Quite
striking.
--
Kay

Mike Lyle 25-04-2007 02:02 PM

Unknown Veg

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
oups.com...
This year I bought a Veg from a market stall in Malta, it is in the
marrow family. I think a friend called it the 100 year fruit? but I
wont swear to this.
The stall I bought it of spoke no English, and the Maltese name name
for it just went in one ear and out the other..
http://www.twango.com/channel/Taffy4u2.Unknown

When I bought it it had young shoots growing from the stalk end.
The fruit is very dense and a heavily pitted surface.

[...]

It's probably a choko, aka chayote. Waste of space if you ask me, but
here are some recipes:
http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/200...rchives?p=1320

--
Mike.

Dave Hill 26-04-2007 10:44 AM

Unknown Veg

On 25 Apr, 12:01, K wrote:
Dave Hill writes

This year I bought a Veg from a market stall in Malta, it is in the
marrow family. I think a friend called it the 100 year fruit? but I
wont swear to this.
The stall I bought it of spoke no English, and the Maltese name name
for it just went in one ear and out the other..
http://www.twango.com/channel/Taffy4u2.Unknown

When I bought it it had young shoots growing from the stalk end.
The fruit is very dense and a heavily pitted surface.

Also on site it a pic of a pink flower. These were bought as seed of a
supposed Solanium, it is not, the plants have been inside a cold poly
tunnel and they died back to the ground for the winter,

Looks like Pokeweed. Has very juicy black berries, poisonous. Quite
striking.
--
Kay

Thanks Kay, looks like a Pokeweed, but not Americum
On a quick search it looks like Phytolacca clavigera.
Will look more tonight.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries