GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   asparagus (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/157409-asparagus.html)

The Reid 25-04-2007 03:12 PM

asparagus

I think the cutting season is something like may 1st for six weeks.
I've been cutting if for over a week already, will it be best to stop
early at the end of the season?

What about spindly growth, cut and discard or leave in place?
--
Mike Reid
UK walking, food, photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site

Sacha 25-04-2007 06:10 PM

asparagus

On 25/4/07 15:12, in article ,
"The Reid" wrote:

I think the cutting season is something like may 1st for six weeks.
I've been cutting if for over a week already, will it be best to stop
early at the end of the season?

What about spindly growth, cut and discard or leave in place?

I've never grown sparrers but isn't that sort of growth called sprue? I
don't know if it comes at the end of the growing season or from young
plants, though. It will be interesting to find out from someone who does
know about it.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

K 25-04-2007 06:12 PM

asparagus

The Reid writes
I think the cutting season is something like may 1st for six weeks.
I've been cutting if for over a week already, will it be best to stop
early at the end of the season?

There are two factors a) the amount of energy the plant has wasted in
producing spears that you have cut off b) the length of season that
remains for it to put out new spears and regain all that energy

If you feel it will be a long autumn, then perhaps you don't need to
stop cutting early.

What about spindly growth, cut and discard or leave in place?

Why not cut and eat? But if you don't want to eat, then leave.
--
Kay

The Reid 25-04-2007 07:45 PM

asparagus

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 18:12:58 +0100, K wrote:

What about spindly growth, cut and discard or leave in place?

Why not cut and eat? But if you don't want to eat, then leave.

right, so it will aid growth but not stop new spears coming?

Murray Crawford 26-04-2007 01:44 AM

asparagus

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 15:12:02 +0100, The Reid
wrote:

I think the cutting season is something like may 1st for six weeks.
I've been cutting if for over a week already, will it be best to stop
early at the end of the season?

What about spindly growth, cut and discard or leave in place?

Shove them up your arse?

The Reid 26-04-2007 09:36 AM

asparagus

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 23:08:53 +0100, K wrote:

right, so it will aid growth but not stop new spears coming?

Yep.

excellent, I shall pass that on to mt fellow new asparagus grower.
Thanks.

[email protected] 26-04-2007 02:44 PM

asparagus

On Apr 25, 11:08 pm, K wrote:
The Reid writes

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 18:12:58 +0100, K wrote:

What about spindly growth, cut and discard or leave in place?

Why not cut and eat? But if you don't want to eat, then leave.

right, so it will aid growth but not stop new spears coming?

Yep.

--
Kay

And don't forget to tell him Kay not to cut at the end of the season
even though there is still lucious growth.