Old 27-04-2007, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Biblical Plants

In message , bluebell
writes

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Des Higgins" wrote in message

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 20:46:55 +0100, "Baldoni"
wrote:

Does anyone know of any plants, shrubs etc. that are mentioned in the
bible
or the gospel that are available in the UK for purchase ?

olives?

Rose of Sharron. Its a member of the hebe family. I have one at home - quite
common I think.
--

In Britain Rose of Sharon normally refers to Hypericum calycinum, which
is far removed from the Hebe family (Scrophulariaceae, or

What plant is the Biblical Rose of Sharon is uncertain; WikiPedia
suggests a Crocus, or Tulipa montana, or Tulipa agenensis, or Lilium
candidum. Christian Answers suggests Cistus (rock-rose), and Old
Dominion University has Gladiolus italicus or Gladiolus atroviolaceus.
Sharon United Methodist Church suggests Ornithogalum umbellatum in
addition to Hypericum calycium and Hibiscus syriacus. AllWords.com (an
online dictionary) suggests a type of Narcissus.

Which do you have?
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 27-04-2007, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 27, 8:42 am, David Rance
wrote:
On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 wrote:

Does anyone know of any plants, shrubs etc. that are mentioned in the bible
or the gospel that are available in the UK for purchase ?

Was Daphne a Saint?

No. Not in the Bible anyway.

David

Well David, I'm not in the Bible, but I'm a Saint, I even have a day
named after me.

Judith

Old 27-04-2007, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 27, 9:33 am, K wrote:
" writesOn Apr 26, 8:46 pm, "Baldoni" wrote:
Does anyone know of any plants, shrubs etc. that are mentioned in the bible
or the gospel that are available in the UK for purchase ?

Was Daphne a Saint?

Greek mythology, wasn't she?
--
Kay

I don't know but on the French Meteo each evening, we have this stick
thin insect of a woman, about my age, wearing tight short skirts with
slits up the sides, she drives me crazy, I miss the weather as I am
muttering about her prancing all over the screen, and then at the end
she says today is Saint Daphen's day and bon soiree. They do this
every single night, so they must have 365 saints, it's a bit like
their cheese, one for every day.

Old 27-04-2007, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 27, 6:36 pm, Chris Hogg wrote:

A nymph, chaste and beautiful, daughter of the river Peneius and
Ladon, a river god. Apollo tried to seduce her, but was rejected. He
then became more forceful, and she fled, but he caught her and she
cried out to Gaea for help. The earth opened beneath her and she was
swallowed up, and a laurel tree sprang up at the spot. Apollo made the
tree sacred to him.

So whether laurels or daphnes are wrongly named, I'll leave you to
decide......

I don't remember her and I did classics!!!!! Aah bless, what a lovely
story.

Old 27-04-2007, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 27, 8:20 pm, "shazzbat"
wrote:
"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 09:33:39 +0100, K wrote:

" writes
On Apr 26, 8:46 pm, "Baldoni" wrote:
Does anyone know of any plants, shrubs etc. that are mentioned in the
bible
or the gospel that are available in the UK for purchase ?

Was Daphne a Saint?

Greek mythology, wasn't she?

A nymph, chaste and beautiful, daughter of the river Peneius and
Ladon, a river god. Apollo tried to seduce her, but was rejected. He
then became more forceful, and she fled, but he caught her and she
cried out to Gaea for help. The earth opened beneath her and she was
swallowed up, and a laurel tree sprang up at the spot.

Don't you hate it when that sort of thing happens when you're out on the
pull?

Steve- Hide quoted text -

tee hee hee!!!

Old 27-04-2007, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baldoni wrote:

Does anyone know of any plants, shrubs etc. that are mentioned in the bible
or the gospel that are available in the UK for purchase ?

"Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean."

Peter
Old 27-04-2007, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

" writes
On Apr 27, 8:42 am, David Rance
wrote:
On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 wrote:

Does anyone know of any plants, shrubs etc. that are mentioned in
the bible
or the gospel that are available in the UK for purchase ?

Was Daphne a Saint?

No. Not in the Bible anyway.

David

Well David, I'm not in the Bible, but I'm a Saint, I even have a day
named after me.

Your namesake is in the Bible, though -
"The Old Testament story of the widow Judith - the siren who lured her
people's deadly enemy, Holofernes, to his death, beheading him in his
own bed to save Jerusalem - is an enduring cultural myth in Western
society."
--
Kay
Old 28-04-2007, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 27/4/07 21:13, in article
.com,
" wrote:

On Apr 27, 6:36 pm, Chris Hogg wrote:

A nymph, chaste and beautiful, daughter of the river Peneius and
Ladon, a river god. Apollo tried to seduce her, but was rejected. He
then became more forceful, and she fled, but he caught her and she
cried out to Gaea for help. The earth opened beneath her and she was
swallowed up, and a laurel tree sprang up at the spot. Apollo made the
tree sacred to him.

So whether laurels or daphnes are wrongly named, I'll leave you to
decide......

I don't remember her and I did classics!!!!! Aah bless, what a lovely
story.

Aren't Daphneas some kind of fly or water nymph? ;-)

Daphnia - a type of freshwater crustacean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daphnia

Garden Banter does not have permission to use my posts.
Join uk.rec.gardening instead.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 28-04-2007, 06:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/4/07 00:03, in article , "Stewart Robert
Hinsley" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes

snip

Aren't Daphneas some kind of fly or water nymph? ;-)

Daphnia - a type of freshwater crustacean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daphnia

Thanks, Stewart. I knew it rang a bell.

Garden Banter does not have permission to use my posts.
Join uk.rec.gardening instead.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
Garden Banter does not have permission to use my posts.
(remove weeds from address)

Old 28-04-2007, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , bluebell
writes

Which do you have?

Does it matter what I have? The OP asked if there were any plants which
available in Britain which are Biblical.

I have something called a Rose of Sharron. Rose of Sharron is Bibliucal.

At the end of the dy it gave you an oportunity to show how much you know (
or stupid paedia - you know it can be wrong dont you? Its hardly
Britannica. But then even the last RHS guide is wrong too apparently). How
confusing it all is if you want to be literal.

I also have all of the other plants you mention in your list. But I didnt
plant my garden , its been done over generations by old fashioned country
people who probably couldnt tell what they were beyopnd common names either.

OK , so you are a great expert and I just have a Rose of Sharron and
obviously may not even know what species or family group it belongs to.

It remains a fact I have one and I can grow plants , regardless of whether
my knowldege is correct.

Thats all you have proved - and that modern gardeners are nasty aggressive
folk. There are ways of saying things - and then there is your way, which is
so common these days.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 28-04-2007, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"bluebell" wrote in message

In message , bluebell
writes

Which do you have?

Does it matter what I have? The OP asked if there were any plants which
available in Britain which are Biblical.

I have something called a Rose of Sharron. Rose of Sharron is Bibliucal.

I also have a several forms of it " The Rose of Sharon". One grows upright
and another is prostrate. One has a large flower and the other a small
flower in clusters . It grwos like a weed in my garden. I am always pulling
it out - and its subject to some form of rust ( of course that gives you
another opportunity to tell me the differences between rusts, moulds and
insect infestations.

It doesnt matter. At the end of the day, its a plant and it has a name.
Thats all I need to know.

Old 28-04-2007, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

bluebell writes

Which do you have?

Does it matter what I have? The OP asked if there were any plants which
available in Britain which are Biblical.

I have something called a Rose of Sharron. Rose of Sharron is Bibliucal.

But not perhaps the same plant which is called Rose of Sharon in the
Bible? That was one of the points of Stewart's posting.

It remains a fact I have one and I can grow plants , regardless of whether
my knowldege is correct.

It helps if knowledge is correct if it's being shared with other
people. I have never come across Rose of Sharon being used for a hebe,
and the most common use of Rose of Sharon is for Hypericum, which is
certainly not in the hebe family. If the OP buys a hebe in the belief
that he is buying the biblical Rose of Sharon, he's not getting what he
wanted.

It would be great if you could share some of your knowledge of growing
plants with us. And, if you post advice outside your area of expertise,
and someone else has better knowledge than you and posts a correction,
then accept it gracefully as a learning experience. I've had a good many
'learning experiences' on this group!

Thats all you have proved - and that modern gardeners are nasty aggressive
folk. There are ways of saying things - and then there is your way, which is
so common these days.

And there is your response, to Stewart's perfectly polite post showing
that some of your information was totally incorrect. It would seem you
too aspire to be a modern gardener.

--
Kay