Old 28-04-2007, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Biblical Plants

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"bluebell" writes:

| Beyond that is conjecture and belief. ( ie whas he the long awaited
| Messiah of Judaism or a prophet ( as Islam believes) or the Son of God
in
| Christian faith is neither here nor there is what I am suggesting.

That's not quite true. There is significant evidence that at least
some of his followers believed that he was the Messiah, not least
because he was crucified and not stoned.

Certainly some of his followers believed that. I have not suggested
otherwise. I have suggested that such is not important in the context of
what I was saying in my post.

Old 28-04-2007, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"bluebell" writes:

And, returning to plants, there are some that we shall never be able
to identify - indeed, the names might well have been generic, not
specific - but there are others that are pretty clear from the
context. It is, however, effectively certain that Rose of Sharon
was NOT a Hebe, no matter what it was - Hebes are southern hemisphere
plants.

And returning to plants, I didnt say otherwise to this either. I just
answered the OP at face value. I didnt interpret it in terms of plants that
are from the Palastine area which are found in the Bible. I took the post
to mean any plant that carries a name mentioned in the Bible, no matter
where on earth it may have originated or whether it bears any association
with any plant which might have been referred to in the original Biblical
reference.

Old 28-04-2007, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"bluebell" writes:

| And returning to plants, I didnt say otherwise to this either. I just
| answered the OP at face value. I didnt interpret it in terms of plants that
| are from the Palastine area which are found in the Bible. I took the post
| to mean any plant that carries a name mentioned in the Bible, no matter
| where on earth it may have originated or whether it bears any association
| with any plant which might have been referred to in the original Biblical
| reference.

I agree. You did. And that might even have been what the original
poster meant, though I can't be bothered to refer back to it.

But uk.rec.gardening generally has higher standards than that, as a
regular observer would notice, and THAT is why people jumped on your
posting. There are at least half a dozen regular posters with close
to a degree-level knowledge of botany, or more, and the readership
is generally fairly clued-up.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-04-2007, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

And, returning to plants, there are some that we shall never be able to
identify - indeed, the names might well have been generic, not specific
- but there are others that are pretty clear from the context. It is,
however, effectively certain that Rose of Sharon was NOT a Hebe, no
matter what it was - Hebes are southern hemisphere plants.

She did write Hebe family, not Hebe.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 28-04-2007, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:
| writes
|
| And, returning to plants, there are some that we shall never be able to
| identify - indeed, the names might well have been generic, not specific
| - but there are others that are pretty clear from the context. It is,
| however, effectively certain that Rose of Sharon was NOT a Hebe, no
| matter what it was - Hebes are southern hemisphere plants.
|
| She did write Hebe family, not Hebe.

I stand corrected, Veronica!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 28-04-2007, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 bluebell wrote:

Out of interest, what was the subject of the thesis for your doctorate?

Relationships, and in my case working toward a theology of cohabitation.
Thats where I got interested in language interpretations and culture in the
Bible. In order to establish a theology for cohabitation ( as oposed to
marriage but could include marriage) I had to deal with the language of
relationships that has been used in the Bible , OT and NT. and interpret
that for a modern age if you like.

Thing is, all of that which 15/ 20 years ago was revolutionary and cutting
edge is now accepted by the church and the seal was the C of E's report on
the family back in the early 1990's ( and I am in there ;-), so I quietly
went back to my plants.

Fascinating, and I would like to take this further but I fear that this
is not the place. I'm not sure we will agree on many things but that is
the joy of debate. :-)
I'll have to ask my daughter if she has a copy of this report.

All somewhat off topic now I fear. I have to go and strim my banks - a job I
started but will finish with difficulty now , and feed my tomatoes before
putting them to bed ;-)

And I'm afraid my attention has been somewhat disjointed as I have been
demolishing a privet hedge this afternoon (my word, it has made a lot of
compost!). But in this thread, perhaps you have let slip a possible
reason for misunderstanding Stewart's intentions and that is that
English is not your first language. Believe me, I could see nothing
offensive in what he wrote and I don't think anyone else could either.
He did seem genuinely trying to be helpful. In your own culture, or in
the cultures you have studied, maybe it seemed a bit abrupt but for us
English in the 21st century it was quite normal.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old 28-04-2007, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 28, 5:21 pm, Martin wrote:
On 28 Apr 2007 09:11:39 -0700, "

wrote:
On Apr 28, 5:06 pm, Martin wrote:

The Catholic list seems to be all Johns and no Judiths
--

It's just not fair, I am always missing out.

Judith (what about my second name Charlotte? Is she a saint?)

with or with the C? :-)
Martin

Ooooooooo Martin, I stared at this for ages wondering what you meant,
bad boy!!! Actually I don't mind it without the C, it sounds more
interesting and there are plenty of them in the Bible.

Old 28-04-2007, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 28, 5:08 pm, Martin wrote:
On 28 Apr 2007 08:57:16 -0700, "

wrote:
On Apr 27, 10:51 pm, K wrote:
" writes

On Apr 27, 8:42 am, David Rance
wrote:
On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 wrote:

Does anyone know of any plants, shrubs etc. that are mentioned in
the bible
or the gospel that are available in the UK for purchase ?

Was Daphne a Saint?

No. Not in the Bible anyway.

David

Well David, I'm not in the Bible, but I'm a Saint, I even have a day
named after me.

Your namesake is in the Bible, though -
"The Old Testament story of the widow Judith - the siren who lured her
people's deadly enemy, Holofernes, to his death, beheading him in his
own bed to save Jerusalem - is an enduring cultural myth in Western
society."

I like that Kay, a bit like me then, the siren thing, I mean?

Touch of the female praying mantis about her, don't you think?
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

What's got into you?????? hee heeee.

Old 28-04-2007, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"bluebell" writes:

| I think you will find most mainstream philosophers / theologians (
including
| atheist ones these days!) and archeologists accept a person called
Jesus ,
| probably an itinerant preacher ( there were many such in first century
| Palastine) , Jewish ( Jewish authjorities dont deny it) and aramaic
speaking
| did exist and was cricified. He was not a made up figure or fairy
tale He
| was not some conglomerate of many figures.
|
| Beyond that is conjecture and belief. ( ie whas he the long awaited
| Messiah of Judaism or a prophet ( as Islam believes) or the Son of God
in
| Christian faith is neither here nor there is what I am suggesting.

That's not quite true. There is significant evidence that at least
some of his followers believed that he was the Messiah, not least
because he was crucified and not stoned.

And, returning to plants, there are some that we shall never be able
to identify - indeed, the names might well have been generic, not
specific - but there are others that are pretty clear from the
context. It is, however, effectively certain that Rose of Sharon
was NOT a Hebe, no matter what it was - Hebes are southern hemisphere
plants.

Must ave been a miracle then!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 29-04-2007, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 29, 12:15 pm, (Gregoire Kretz) wrote:
wrote:
Judith (what about my second name Charlotte? Is she a saint?)

Possibly for cooks?
Or hairdressers? (In colloquial French it's the plastic bag they make
you wear to keep your hair dry)

In any case that's alright, I can make you a saint if you like given it
seems I'm a pope.

Greg
--

You may ask yourself, how do I work this?

No ficus = no spam

En nomini patri, et filius.........

Merci Greg

Old 07-05-2007, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 20:46:55 +0100, Baldoni wrote:

Does anyone know of any plants, shrubs etc. that are mentioned in the bible
or the gospel that are available in the UK for purchase ?

HiBaldoni,dont know about purchase but here is a few lists of plants to
keep you busy.

http://www.biblicalgardens.org/Heppe...InTheBible.htm
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12149a.htm
http://www.catholicity.com/encyclope..._in_bible.html