GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Leaves breaking off (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/157697-leaves-breaking-off.html)

Steve[_13_] 29-04-2007 09:05 AM

Leaves breaking off

Hi, I have noticed that some of the plants I have been growing from
seed that I planted out, or are in pots outside, appear to have had
their stems shreaded, basically the leaves break away from the plant.
There are no other obvious signs of the leaves being eaten, just that
the stems. I can't work out if it's cold weather, slugs or aphids
(both of which are a problem in my garden). They tend to be plants in
the early stages of growth, not established ones but it's making a
serious dent in my collection!

Any help or advice would be great!

Thanks, Steve

K 29-04-2007 09:38 PM

Leaves breaking off

Steve writes
Hi, I have noticed that some of the plants I have been growing from
seed that I planted out, or are in pots outside, appear to have had
their stems shreaded, basically the leaves break away from the plant.
There are no other obvious signs of the leaves being eaten, just that
the stems. I can't work out if it's cold weather, slugs or aphids
(both of which are a problem in my garden). They tend to be plants in
the early stages of growth, not established ones but it's making a
serious dent in my collection!

Slugs typically eat the stems of seedlings, basically rasping away from
one side.
--
Kay

Steve[_13_] 30-04-2007 07:39 AM

Leaves breaking off

On Apr 29, 9:38 pm, K wrote:
Steve writesHi, I have noticed that some of the plants I have been growing from
seed that I planted out, or are in pots outside, appear to have had
their stems shreaded, basically the leaves break away from the plant.
There are no other obvious signs of the leaves being eaten, just that
the stems. I can't work out if it's cold weather, slugs or aphids
(both of which are a problem in my garden). They tend to be plants in
the early stages of growth, not established ones but it's making a
serious dent in my collection!

Slugs typically eat the stems of seedlings, basically rasping away from
one side.
--
Kay

Annoying little creatures aren't they. Thanks!