Old 03-05-2007, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Runner beans

So, my runner beans, growing upwards through inverted 8" plastic flower pots
as I described some time ago, are now 4 feet up the bamboos and there's not
one leaf damaged by slugs/snails and the ants stay away too! I piled up
earth around the pots to protect the beans' roots from any frost there might
be - so far OK. My "insurance" beans (To hell with the small cost!) in the
greenhouse are looking good and I'll give them away if I do not need them.

I thought I'd try another experiment so bought a pack of those yellow double
sided sticky flypaper things for hanging in greenhouses. I cut one sheet
into six parts. With a hole punched in each part I removed the backing and
hung them at various levels on the bamboos using thin galvanised wire to
hold them reasonably still. That was done about two weeks ago and each
portion has caught dozens of what look like blackflies and white flies
besides many normal looking flies. No ladybirds, hover flies or bees have
been caught I'm glad to say and there are no aphids on the plants as yet. I
do not know what sex the blackflies are, they are not wearing skirts or
trousers!

Do not be critical about what I've done - I could not care less but there's
always some smart arse. Try it yourself for a few weeks.

Geoff

Old 03-05-2007, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Geoff" wrote in message
[...]

Good luck with the beans Geoff, it would be a little time-consuming for me
to grow them so early, but the early crop is tempting.
I written a page showing my experiences with runner beans.
It is on the site below /bean

--
Rog
http://www.rog.richieward.com

Old 03-05-2007, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"seveniron" wrote

Snip

Good luck with the beans Geoff, it would be a little time-consuming for me
to grow them so early, but the early crop is tempting.
I written a page showing my experiences with runner beans.
It is on the site below /bean
Rog
http://www.rog.richieward.com

Rog,

"Seveniron" don't you putter around in the veg. patch!!

Interesting about so many plants on one stick - I'll be using my insurance
beans whatever happens!

Regards

Geoff

Old 03-05-2007, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Runner beans P.S.

One reason for my continual fight against blackfly and aphids is that just
across the dusty lane are two lime/linden/tilia trees from which a shower of
honeydew drops from the millions of aphids on them! Anybody who parks a car
there for very long finds their car's surface is like sandpaper if it's
windy!

Geoff

Old 03-05-2007, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3 May, 20:48, "Geoff" wrote:
One reason for my continual fight against blackfly and aphids is that just
across the dusty lane are two lime/linden/tilia trees from which a shower of
honeydew drops from the millions of aphids on them! Anybody who parks a car
there for very long finds their car's surface is like sandpaper if it's
windy!

My entire street has lime trees ... Sold my Suzuki for 1K cheaper
because the roof was so badly damaged. But they don't bring me
blackfly and aphids?! I have some but it's not a problem.

Runner beans, wot beans ?? AriesVal[_11_] United Kingdom 17 18-07-2011 12:38 PM
Is a runner bean a runner bean lloyd United Kingdom 9 28-09-2009 11:12 PM
Runner Beans mark United Kingdom 27 01-05-2009 11:37 PM
Runner Beans - No Beans ! Mike United Kingdom 10 02-09-2004 05:17 PM
Runner Beans, lots of flowers but no beans X United Kingdom 6 19-06-2003 10:32 AM