Old 07-05-2007, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Autumn planted potatoes

I was going to plant my potatoes in the Autumn, but the weather
prevented me from lifting all I had in, so they were left to grow on
for this year and are now around 12 inches tall.
My question is .... Has anyone here tried autumn planting of
Potatoes?
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 07-05-2007, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7 May 2007 14:50:54 -0700, Dave Hill
wrote:

I was going to plant my potatoes in the Autumn, but the weather
prevented me from lifting all I had in, so they were left to grow on
for this year and are now around 12 inches tall.
My question is .... Has anyone here tried autumn planting of
Potatoes?
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Only accidentallly where I missed digging quite a few. (Bad sight!) I
had a meal for two a couple of weeks ago!

Pam in Bristol
Old 08-05-2007, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I was going to plant my potatoes in the Autumn, but the weather
prevented me from lifting all I had in, so they were left to grow on
for this year and are now around 12 inches tall.
My question is .... Has anyone here tried autumn planting of
Potatoes?
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Only accidentallly where I missed digging quite a few. (Bad sight!) I
had a meal for two a couple of weeks ago!

Pam in Bristol

I,M not sure what you are asking Dave. Do you mean planting potatoes for
digging in the Winter? If so yes. On the other hand beds where I have
had potatoes the previous year drive me up the wall, as there are always
some left that come up like weeds. The problem with planting in Autumn
for the following year is that the frosts we normally get in April and
even May (I have known one on June 6th here in North Staffordshire) will
kill the new growth. It will re-grow but no earlier than planting normally.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8 May, 09:15, Broadback wrote:
I,M not sure what you are asking Dave. Do you mean planting potatoes for
digging in the Winter? If so yes. On the other hand beds where I have
had potatoes the previous year drive me up the wall, as there are always
some left that come up like weeds. The problem with planting in Autumn
for the following year is that the frosts we normally get in April and
even May (I have known one on June 6th here in North Staffordshire) will
kill the new growth. It will re-grow but no earlier than planting normally

I've never planted in the autumn. But the problem I have now are some
taties I have forgotten from last year and now a few are growing
amonst my peas and broad beans!!!!! There's nothing I can do than just
cut off as deep as I can. I just can't dig. It's the first time that
happened to me - I think I must have been blind when I digged out our
crop!

Old 08-05-2007, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:

[...]

I thought I had made it clear, but let's try again
Has anyone here tried planting Potatoes in the Autumn and letting them
over winter in the ground so that they get away as soon as conditions
allow in the spring.
I am sure I heard about this On Gardeners Question Time last year.
If there is a chance of a late frost once they were up you could
always cover with fleece.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I've seen advertised potatoes that you can plant to be ready for Christmas
is that what you mean - I plan on trying that this year - I think Charlotte
are a potatothat can be planted then - maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree.

ups.com...

Old 08-05-2007, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8 May, 20:00, "Alan McKenzie" wrote:
I've seen advertised potatoes that you can plant to be ready for Christmas
is that what you mean - I plan on trying that this year - I think Charlotte
are a potatothat can be planted then - maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree.

No you're not. These are planted in July to be harvested for Christmas
- but not planted in the autumn to be harvested in spring. A wet and
warm winter would be fatal for the spuds.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 8 May, 20:00, "Alan McKenzie" wrote:
I've seen advertised potatoes that you can plant to be ready for
Christmas
is that what you mean - I plan on trying that this year - I think
Charlotte
are a potatothat can be planted then - maybe I'm barking up the wrong
tree.

No you're not. These are planted in July to be harvested for Christmas
- but not planted in the autumn to be harvested in spring. A wet and
warm winter would be fatal for the spuds.

When we had our big garden we had a couple of poly tunnels. A ritual we
started which went on for a number of years, was to plant our potatoes in
one of the tunnels on Boxing Day!!!! We were harvesting new spuds before
Easter :-)) I must admit the poly tunnels were in a sheltered part and we do
live on the south coast of the Isle of Wight :-)

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 09-05-2007, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8 May, 21:28, "'Mike'" wrote:
When we had our big garden we had a couple of poly tunnels. A ritual we
started which went on for a number of years, was to plant our potatoes in
one of the tunnels on Boxing Day!!!! We were harvesting new spuds before
Easter :-)) I must admit the poly tunnels were in a sheltered part and we do
live on the south coast of the Isle of Wight :-)

Ha! Poly tunnels. If only I had the room!! I'd grow stuff all year
round. Though not with lights, heat etc. you understand. I've
experimented with 'mache' salad this winter in my veranda and we kept
having little leaves to eat though without toms, cucumbers etc. winter
is simply not a time for salads. Without little sun as well I can't
get a 'healthy' plant and I find the whole process so wrong. I try to
eat what is in season, purchase what is in season and not consume any
imports. It's hard - especially for the kids. If they ask for a
ratatouille in December, I've frozen some but they don't understand if
I cannot provide them with corn on the cob in Feb for their pack
lunches ;o)

Old 09-05-2007, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

Dave Hill wrote:

I thought I had made it clear, but let's try again
Has anyone here tried planting Potatoes in the Autumn and letting them
over winter in the ground so that they get away as soon as conditions
allow in the spring.
I am sure I heard about this On Gardeners Question Time last year.
If there is a chance of a late frost once they were up you could
always cover with fleece.

Not quite Autumn, but a chap on my allotments dug his first International
kidney (Jersey Royals) last weekend after planting under clotches in
December. Still not seen the real thing in the shops yet although you can
get them by post from Jersey (for £9.95 per kilo!)

Tom

Old 09-05-2007, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 May, 10:19, "Tom" wrote:
Not quite Autumn, but a chap on my allotments dug his first International
kidney (Jersey Royals) last weekend after planting under clotches in
December. Still not seen the real thing in the shops yet although you can
get them by post from Jersey (for £9.95 per kilo!)

Where is your lotty?

Old 09-05-2007, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/5/07 10:19, in article , "Tom"
wrote:

Dave Hill wrote:

I thought I had made it clear, but let's try again
Has anyone here tried planting Potatoes in the Autumn and letting them
over winter in the ground so that they get away as soon as conditions
allow in the spring.
I am sure I heard about this On Gardeners Question Time last year.
If there is a chance of a late frost once they were up you could
always cover with fleece.

Not quite Autumn, but a chap on my allotments dug his first International
kidney (Jersey Royals) last weekend after planting under clotches in
December. Still not seen the real thing in the shops yet although you can
get them by post from Jersey (for £9.95 per kilo!)

Or - lucky me - your son brings them with him when he visits! We'll all be
eating some tonight. ;-) But I'm afraid that without being grown in Jersey
soil, they're just not the same....
I've seen Cornish and just the other days saw some Royals in Tesco at £2 per
kilo. To be honest, I think it's worth waiting a bit long because many of
those on sale now will have been grown under plastic and somehow, the
flavour just isn't the same. And those grown using seaweed as fertiliser
are ambrosial.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-05-2007, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

La Puce wrote:

Where is your lotty?

Worcester

Tom

Old 09-05-2007, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 May, 15:03, "Tom" wrote:
La Puce wrote:
Where is your lotty?

Worcester

Ah, Wooster. Not surprised then. It's mild there isn't it. Are you on
the site that the famous Reg Moule promoted for the beeb? Though
growing spuds under cloche I have never seen. Perhaps I'll try it -
but it's very wet and humid in winter here in Manchester. Phacelia is
a surest thing )

Old 10-05-2007, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

La Puce wrote:
On 9 May, 15:03, "Tom" wrote:
La Puce wrote:

Are you on
the site that the famous Reg Moule promoted for the beeb?

Funny you should mention Reg Moule, writes a column for the Worcester
allotment newsletter.

(Issues 1 - 6 available online, this months copy not available online yet)

Tom