GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Appeal for help regarding a very ill olive tree (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/158271-appeal-help-regarding-very-ill-olive-tree.html)

Rick Box 08-05-2007 10:29 AM

Appeal for help regarding a very ill olive tree

Hi - I was given an olive tree in a pot to go on my patio. It looked very green and happy at first, but after three months had lost all of its leaves. I assumed this was because of the autumn and thought nothing of it. I kept it indoors during the colder months to stop it being caught in the frost.

At the start of this year, the leaves did not grow back. A single branch did, however, begin to grow, and became a long thin vine covered in leaves. The remainder of the branches remained like twigs. This vine is now looking limp.

Can anyone recommend a way to bring this tree back from the brink of death? Friends have suggested pruning, but I wouldn't know how far back to cut it or even if this is the correct approach?

Thanks for your help!

Rick

old perennial 09-05-2007 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Box (Post 711589)
Hi - I was given an olive tree in a pot to go on my patio. It looked very green and happy at first, but after three months had lost all of its leaves. I assumed this was because of the autumn and thought nothing of it. I kept it indoors during the colder months to stop it being caught in the frost.

At the start of this year, the leaves did not grow back. A single branch did, however, begin to grow, and became a long thin vine covered in leaves. The remainder of the branches remained like twigs. This vine is now looking limp.

Can anyone recommend a way to bring this tree back from the brink of death? Friends have suggested pruning, but I wouldn't know how far back to cut it or even if this is the correct approach?

Thanks for your help!

Rick

Maybe it suffered from lack of water earlier. They need a regular feed through the growing season too. as regards prunning you can cut out all the dead wood and trim back the new growth to achieve some shape. I doubt you can do it any real harm. Do you live in an area prone to frost? Typically one buys from a garden centre and take straight out into the garden without harden off.

Bit of tlc this year should work

Rick Box 21-05-2007 01:43 PM

Thanks for the advice, Old Perennial. I shall see what happens in the summer months!