Old 08-05-2007, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default HELP! Urgent tomato help needed please!

Hi

Some of my tomato plants (all grown from seed from last years harvest) are
very spindly and don't look at all well compared to one plant in a growbag
in my small lean-to greenhouse which is very healthy with vigorous growth.
Some are flowering already which seems too early to me. See pictures here
for comparison:

http://bassmonsta.spymac.com/DSC00008.JPG
http://bassmonsta.spymac.com/DSC00009.JPG

The seeds were sown in early March and planted out a couple of weeks ago.
The poorly plants are against a south facing wall in troughs which I have
been using for tomatoes for the last three years or so. I normally just
change the compost in the troughs, but this year I added some manure.

Could the manure be the problem and will the plants recover if I change the
compost? Or did I plant them out too early and the cold weather (I'm in
Bristol) has damaged them? Should I just bin them and start again?

Thanks

Old 08-05-2007, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Fergal wrote:
: Hi
:
[...]

My twopence worth says they are suffering from a cold check but they should
recover.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Robert may well have the answer but IMHO they look fine!

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way