GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Which storksbill is this? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/158286-storksbill.html)

Stewart Robert Hinsley 08-05-2007 02:19 PM

Which storksbill is this?

Photographed in one of the wilder (woodland) areas at the University of
Liverpool Botanic Gardens, and I had assumed it was wild - there are
several other species growing wild there.

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Geran168.jpg (plant)
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Geran169.jpg (flowers)
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Geran179.jpg (flower)

Having checked Keble-Martin I'm suspecting a pale-flowered form of
Geranium phaeum.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Bob Hobden 08-05-2007 05:51 PM

Which storksbill is this?

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote...
Photographed in one of the wilder (woodland) areas at the University of
Liverpool Botanic Gardens, and I had assumed it was wild - there are
several other species growing wild there.

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Geran168.jpg (plant)
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Geran169.jpg (flowers)
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Geran179.jpg (flower)

Having checked Keble-Martin I'm suspecting a pale-flowered form of
Geranium phaeum.

Seems to be a problem with the Photos, the first is only the top bit and the
last won't load at all.
However I would agree with you from what I can see.
--
Regards
Bob H

Stewart Robert Hinsley 08-05-2007 06:04 PM

Which storksbill is this?

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote...
Photographed in one of the wilder (woodland) areas at the University of
Liverpool Botanic Gardens, and I had assumed it was wild - there are
several other species growing wild there.

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Geran168.jpg (plant)
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Geran169.jpg (flowers)
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Geran179.jpg (flower)

Having checked Keble-Martin I'm suspecting a pale-flowered form of
Geranium phaeum.

Seems to be a problem with the Photos, the first is only the top bit and the
last won't load at all.
However I would agree with you from what I can see.

The last is a typo. (Sorry!) Try

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Geran170.jpg

The problem with the first is presumably a problem with the network
connection between the hosting company and your computer.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Charlie Pridham 08-05-2007 06:17 PM

Which storksbill is this?

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

[...]

I agree with Bob, its either a Geranium phaeum or one of its hybrids like x
monocense Anglicum

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Stewart Robert Hinsley 08-05-2007 08:13 PM

Which storksbill is this?

In message , Charlie Pridham
writes

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

[...]

Having cogitated on your responses, and have performed a little extra
research, I'm am in agreement that it is that, particular Geranium
phaeum var. lividum or Geranium x monacense nothovar anglicum. It's a
pity I don't have a face-on photograph of a flower as the petal length
to breadth ratio appears to be a convenient criterion for distinguishing
the taxa.

Thanks.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley