GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   are melons self-fertilizing? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/158321-melons-self-fertilizing.html)

Paul 09-05-2007 12:41 PM

are melons self-fertilizing?

As header, we have planted a melon in the greenhouse on the allotment as
an experiment this year, but then it occurred to me that it might need a
companion if it is not self-fertilising. Can't remember the variety
right now, will check later. So are all melons self-fertilising or only
some?
Thanks for any feedback,
Paul.
--
Paul reply-to is valid

La Puce 09-05-2007 01:16 PM

On 9 May, 12:41, Paul wrote:
As header, we have planted a melon in the greenhouse on the allotment as
an experiment this year, but then it occurred to me that it might need a
companion if it is not self-fertilising. Can't remember the variety
right now, will check later. So are all melons self-fertilising or only
some?

Well, we discussed this not long ago. I'm trying out 'Charentais' for
the first time and I had planned to pollinate them with a paint brush,
going from flowers to flowers to aid pollination. You then remove the
male flowers, the ones that don't have a little melon growing on
it ... I'm no expert, you understand, but that's what I understood. As
far as melons are concerned, you need two to tango indeed ;o)