GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Stachyurus for Nick (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/158515-stachyurus-nick.html)

Sacha 12-05-2007 06:36 PM

Stachyurus for Nick

Nick, the friend with the Stachyurus came in today and she told me that it
isn't wind tender in her extremely windy garden. She also gets salt winds
but hasn't found it to be a problem. I don't think this is much comfort to
you, unfortunately!
She did say that, in her garden, the wind is such a problem that the upper
'dangles' get blown to bits and she only gets them at the bottom of hers.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Nick Maclaren 12-05-2007 07:32 PM

Stachyurus for Nick

In article , Sacha writes:
| Nick, the friend with the Stachyurus came in today and she told me that it
| isn't wind tender in her extremely windy garden. She also gets salt winds
| but hasn't found it to be a problem. I don't think this is much comfort to
| you, unfortunately!
| She did say that, in her garden, the wind is such a problem that the upper
| 'dangles' get blown to bits and she only gets them at the bottom of hers.

Thanks very much.

A couple of young leaf shoots are OK, so I will see whether it picks
up. It may have been grown under cover, and so have been more tender
than a naturally grown plant would have been.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Sacha 12-05-2007 09:15 PM

Stachyurus for Nick

On 12/5/07 19:32, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes:
| Nick, the friend with the Stachyurus came in today and she told me that it
| isn't wind tender in her extremely windy garden. She also gets salt winds
| but hasn't found it to be a problem. I don't think this is much comfort to
| you, unfortunately!
| She did say that, in her garden, the wind is such a problem that the upper
| 'dangles' get blown to bits and she only gets them at the bottom of hers.

Thanks very much.

A couple of young leaf shoots are OK, so I will see whether it picks
up. It may have been grown under cover, and so have been more tender
than a naturally grown plant would have been.

A definite possibility. ;-) We bought a Magnolia wiesneri a few years ago
which Ray gentled on in one of the polytunnels for two years before planting
it out.