Old 13-05-2007, 08:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rain

If you would like to see what's in store go to
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_vis.html put it in your
favourites perhaps.

Geoff

Old 13-05-2007, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Geoff" wrote in message
If you would like to see what's in store go to
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_vis.html put it in your
favourites perhaps.

Geoff

I've also found the 10 day forescat at www.weather.com to be quite good....
but I've convinced myself that forecast weather seems to arrive earlier than
they predict. For example ... if they are predicting a sunny week with rain
forecast to arrive in 7 days time, then as the days tick by they bring
forward the expected rain so that it frequently seems to arrive a day or two
earlier that originally predicted. I've not noticed weather being "pushed
back" which should also occur if it's just a random forecasting error..

Old 13-05-2007, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

CWatters wrote:
"Geoff" wrote in message
If you would like to see what's in store go to
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_vis.html put it in your
favourites perhaps.

Geoff

I've also found the 10 day forescat at www.weather.com to be quite good....
but I've convinced myself that forecast weather seems to arrive earlier than
they predict. For example ... if they are predicting a sunny week with rain
forecast to arrive in 7 days time, then as the days tick by they bring
forward the expected rain so that it frequently seems to arrive a day or two
earlier that originally predicted. I've not noticed weather being "pushed
back" which should also occur if it's just a random forecasting error..

Never failed to be puzzled by weather forecasts, they often get
tomorrow, even today wrong,so how can I believe longer range forecasts?
also I use BBC weather web page to get the forecast for my town, often
that says one thing and the BBC TV forecast another, same source so why
is that? The only thing I find consistently accurate is the temperature
forecast.
Old 13-05-2007, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Geoff wrote:
: If you would like to see what's in store go to
: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_vis.html put it in your
: favourites perhaps.
:
: Geoff

It's already here and absolutely pouring down. Glad I'm not on Dartmoor

Old 13-05-2007, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in message
Geoff wrote:
: If you would like to see what's in store go to
: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_vis.html put it in your
: favourites perhaps.
:
: Geoff

It's already here and absolutely pouring down. Glad I'm not on Dartmoor

And here on the Isle of Wight.

8 Water Butts well and truly full, heaped up in fact ;-)

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 13-05-2007, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Geoff wrote:
: If you would like to see what's in store go to
: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_vis.html put it in your
: favourites perhaps.
:
: Geoff

It's already here and absolutely pouring down. Glad I'm not on Dartmoor

Event cancelled I hear - or isn't that on Dartmoor?

Old 13-05-2007, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/5/07 09:48, in article ,
"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote:

Geoff wrote:
: If you would like to see what's in store go to
:
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_vis.html put it in your
: favourites perhaps.
:
: Geoff

It's already here and absolutely pouring down. Glad I'm not on Dartmoor

Ye gods, the Ten Tors! I'd completely forgotten about it - those poor kids
will be miserable. Ray reckons this weather happens almost every year at
this time. Next week we're setting up for the County Show and I recall that
last year, it absolutely poured down. Today is terrible, hammering rain but
at least the wind has died down a bit.
That's another thing that seems to be a yearly occurrence - high winds just
as hanging baskets are ready to go out.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 13-05-2007, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
: On 13/5/07 09:48, in article ,
: "Robert (Plymouth)" wrote:
:
:: Geoff wrote:
::: If you would like to see what's in store go to
:::
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_vis.html put it in
::: your favourites perhaps.
:::
::: Geoff
::
:: It's already here and absolutely pouring down. Glad I'm not on
:: Dartmoor
::
::
: Ye gods, the Ten Tors! I'd completely forgotten about it - those
: poor kids will be miserable. Ray reckons this weather happens almost
: every year at this time. Next week we're setting up for the County
: Show and I recall that last year, it absolutely poured down. Today
: is terrible, hammering rain but at least the wind has died down a bit.
: That's another thing that seems to be a yearly occurrence - high
: winds just as hanging baskets are ready to go out.

Yes it's been abandoned, not surprising considering this rain. I haven't
seen rain like this for many years

Old 13-05-2007, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/5/07 11:13, in article ,
"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
: On 13/5/07 09:48, in article
,
: "Robert (Plymouth)" wrote:
:
:: Geoff wrote:
[...]

I'm very relieved to hear it. That poor girl being drowned during the
training for it may have something to do with that wise decision.

Old 13-05-2007, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
: On 13/5/07 11:13, in article ,
: "Robert (Plymouth)" wrote:
:
:: Sacha wrote:
::: On 13/5/07 09:48, in article
:::
, "Robert (Plymouth)"
::: wrote:
:::
:::: Geoff wrote:
::::: If you would like to see what's in store go to
:::::
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_vis.html put it in
::::: your favourites perhaps.
:::::
::::: Geoff
::::
[...]

Yes and the unusually high drop out rate yesterday they said

Old 13-05-2007, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Compared with Cornwall and Devon (severe weather warning) the corkheads have
drizzle.

Old 13-05-2007, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , "Robert
(Plymouth)" writes
::
:: It's already here and absolutely pouring down. Glad I'm not on
:: Dartmoor
::
::
: Ye gods, the Ten Tors! I'd completely forgotten about it - those
: poor kids will be miserable. Ray reckons this weather happens almost
: every year at this time. Next week we're setting up for the County
: Show and I recall that last year, it absolutely poured down. Today
: is terrible, hammering rain but at least the wind has died down a bit.
: That's another thing that seems to be a yearly occurrence - high
: winds just as hanging baskets are ready to go out.

Yes it's been abandoned, not surprising considering this rain. I haven't
seen rain like this for many years

Just easing here to the east of Torquay, the cloud has now lifted so I
can see the moor, 30 minutes ago I could not see the bottom of the
garden. Whilst I have seen heavier rain here it has always been for
quite limited periods whereas this was for several hours - the recently
cleared guttering and the surface water drains at the front of the
property could not cope but at least it has refilled the pond.

My better half is has been doing a fund raising walk in Torbay for
Cancer Research this morning (as a prelude next weekend's Moon Walk) and
will undoubtedly be in need of a large tot of something warming when she
gets home.
--
Robert
Old 13-05-2007, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert" wrote in message

Just easing here to the east of Torquay, the cloud has now lifted so I can
see the moor, 30 minutes ago I could not see the bottom of the garden.
Whilst I have seen heavier rain here it has always been for quite limited
periods whereas this was for several hours - the recently cleared
guttering and the surface water drains at the front of the property could
not cope but at least it has refilled the pond.

My better half is has been doing a fund raising walk in Torbay for Cancer
Research this morning (as a prelude next weekend's Moon Walk) and will
undoubtedly be in need of a large tot of something warming when she gets
home.
--
Robert

Oh dear :-((

I have a party of Royal Navy Veterans in Torquay this weekend :-((

Sunday is always a Remembrance Service, I 'think' they are having it in the
Hotel, but this afternoon is a coach trip out for them. Let's hope it
clears.

I will hear all about it on Tuesday when I am with the MD of the company who
does all the arrangements :-(

Old 13-05-2007, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/5/07 12:18, in article , "Robert"
wrote:

In message , "Robert
(Plymouth)" writes
::
[...]

The sun is just coming out here, though there are clouds around. And we're
off out to lunch - lovely! ;-)

Old 13-05-2007, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I have just spent quite some time unblocking a drain pipe only to find that
it was a big fat toad that was doing the blocking

kate