GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Asparagus question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/158538-asparagus-question.html)

David \(Normandy\) 13-05-2007 10:02 AM

Asparagus question

I planted some asparagus crowns last year, and this year they are growing
very well. However, the fronds are around 5 feet high and swaying terribly
in the wind. Will this damage the roots? Should they be staked somehow or
cut back a little?
--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk

Geoff[_6_] 13-05-2007 11:59 AM

Asparagus question

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
I planted some asparagus crowns last year, and this year they are growing
very well. However, the fronds are around 5 feet high and swaying terribly
in the wind. Will this damage the roots? Should they be staked somehow or
cut back a little?

My raised bed of asparagus is between two houses and the wind is funnelled
through. I've never bothered to do anything and this year it's cropping
well.

Geoff

K 13-05-2007 06:34 PM

Asparagus question

"David (Normandy)" writes
I planted some asparagus crowns last year, and this year they are growing
very well. However, the fronds are around 5 feet high and swaying terribly
in the wind. Will this damage the roots? Should they be staked somehow or
cut back a little?

The crowns will be a good 6inches to a foot below ground, so you've got
that much support from the soil. I wouldn't have thought there'd be a
problem unless the fronds are moving around enough to widen the hole in
the soil.
--
Kay

David \(Normandy\) 13-05-2007 07:18 PM

Asparagus question

The crowns will be a good 6inches to a foot below ground, so you've got
that much support from the soil. I wouldn't have thought there'd be a
problem unless the fronds are moving around enough to widen the hole in
the soil.
--
Kay

The holes around some of the fronds are widening as they move around in the
wind, so maybe they need staking?

David.