GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   everlasting onions (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/158542-everlasting-onions.html)

sally H 13-05-2007 01:31 PM

everlasting onions

I've just transplanted some perennial onions into my new veggie bed. Their
tops are quite leggy. Do I need to cut these back a bit just like leeks?
Thanks.

Jim Jackson 21-05-2007 09:49 PM

everlasting onions

sally H wrote:
I've just transplanted some perennial onions into my new veggie bed.
Their tops are quite leggy. Do I need to cut these back a bit just like
leeks?

"perennial onions"????

I grow something called Welsh Onions - they grow in bunches like giant
chives - about 1 to 2cms across. Every couple of years, I lift and split
the bunch, use most and plant a small clump for a new bunch. The tops are
really good picked and chopped into stews/sauces etc.