Old 14-05-2007, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

Default Ringed Sparrow?

WE have lots of feeding stations around the garden and have lots of birds.
We also have a veranda across the back of the house and in all of the foul
weather yesterday, we had a great deal of birds taking the food from the
floor 'in the dry'.

Some were very close, just the other side of the patio doors from where I
sit at the computer.

I feel sure there was a Sparrow with a ring on its leg. Kept on visiting but
too close for me to get my binos on and just too far and too quick moving to
give a close examination. (About 5 feet away from me)

Have they been ringed?

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 14-05-2007, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

On 14 May, 10:38, "'Mike'" wrote:
WE have lots of feeding stations around the garden and have lots of birds.
We also have a veranda across the back of the house and in all of the foul
weather yesterday, we had a great deal of birds taking the food from the
floor 'in the dry'.
Some were very close, just the other side of the patio doors from where I
sit at the computer.
I feel sure there was a Sparrow with a ring on its leg. Kept on visiting but
too close for me to get my binos on and just too far and too quick moving to
give a close examination. (About 5 feet away from me)
Have they been ringed?

Dunno. The one I've found in my youngest bedroom yesterday morning
didn't have a ring, nor a head. I found the beak when I vaccumed ...
This is the third one. The massacre has begun. My she cat is
impossible. There's nothing I can do. I just cross my fingers that she
won't get any offsprings fledgling from Mr and Mrs Robin (who took up
residency in my ivy).

Old 14-05-2007, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

"'Mike'" wrote in message
WE have lots of feeding stations around the garden and have lots of birds.
We also have a veranda across the back of the house and in all of the foul
weather yesterday, we had a great deal of birds taking the food from the
floor 'in the dry'.

Some were very close, just the other side of the patio doors from where I
sit at the computer.

I feel sure there was a Sparrow with a ring on its leg. Kept on visiting
but too close for me to get my binos on and just too far and too quick
moving to give a close examination. (About 5 feet away from me)

Have they been ringed?

Quite possibly. See

http://www.bto.org/ringing/ringinfo/ras/index.htm

Sparrows are amongst the species studied.

Old 14-05-2007, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

snip
Have they been ringed?

Quite possibly. See

http://www.bto.org/ringing/ringinfo/ras/index.htm

Sparrows are amongst the species studied.

We had quite a number of swallows ringed last year, the swallows are back
but my eyes are not sharp enough to see if any of them are ringed.

kate

Old 15-05-2007, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

In message . com, La
Puce writes

Dunno. The one I've found in my youngest bedroom yesterday morning
didn't have a ring, nor a head. I found the beak when I vaccumed ...
This is the third one. The massacre has begun. My she cat is
impossible. There's nothing I can do. I just cross my fingers that she
won't get any offsprings fledgling from Mr and Mrs Robin (who took up
residency in my ivy).

Your cat won't eat a second robin, they make cats sick.

--
Sue ]

Old 15-05-2007, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

On 15 May, 20:32, MadCow wrote:
Your cat won't eat a second robin, they make cats sick.

Really?! Well that's good to know ;o)

Old 16-05-2007, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

"MadCow" wrote in message
In message . com, La Puce
writes

Dunno. The one I've found in my youngest bedroom yesterday morning
didn't have a ring, nor a head. I found the beak when I vaccumed ...
This is the third one. The massacre has begun. My she cat is
impossible. There's nothing I can do. I just cross my fingers that she
won't get any offsprings fledgling from Mr and Mrs Robin (who took up
residency in my ivy).

Your cat won't eat a second robin, they make cats sick.

It might not eat a second robin, but might well still stalk and kill one,
just for fun.

Cats love hunting - I watched one yesterday evening, which had climbed to
the roof of a two storey house opposite, and was lying on the end ridge
tile, trying to get at nests constructed under the roof tiles (the birds
gain access by way of deteriorated mortar grouting along the eaves). It
wasn't doing that because it was hungry, judging by its size and condition.

Savannah Sparrow --- nevadensis Padraig Garden Photos 0 03-05-2007 04:45 AM
Sparrow Padraig Garden Photos 1 14-04-2007 11:50 AM
Gambel's White Crowned Sparrow Padraig Garden Photos 0 12-04-2007 02:43 AM
Paphiopedilum Dou Fang Sparrow 1 P Max Orchid Photos 0 03-02-2007 05:16 AM
End of House Sparrow Survey in Leicestershire Malcolm United Kingdom 2 26-06-2004 12:54 PM