Old 15-05-2007, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Runner Beans & Slugs & Snails

Hi,

Having grown runner beans reasonably successfull over the last few
years this year due to the wet weather ours are decimated.

We have tried plastic bottles and someone suggested copper tubing over
the bamboo canes, slug pellets and some gravel on the base of the
plant to no avail.

They are in a border next to a path, any suggestions please

Regards

Alan

Old 15-05-2007, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message . com,
isleofthanet writes
Hi,

Having grown runner beans reasonably successfull over the last few
years this year due to the wet weather ours are decimated.

They are in a border next to a path, any suggestions please

I go out with a torch on warm humid nights like tonight and catch them.
You can kill them by dropping them into some salt water in a jamjar, or
in more imaginative ways.
Their population falls very quickly if you start doing it now - don't
wait for them to breed.

--
Sue ]
Old 16-05-2007, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"isleofthanet" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

Having grown runner beans reasonably successfull over the last few
years this year due to the wet weather ours are decimated.

We have tried plastic bottles and someone suggested copper tubing over
the bamboo canes, slug pellets and some gravel on the base of the
plant to no avail.

They are in a border next to a path, any suggestions please

I've just been round with some slug pellets, hopefully that will have done
the trick.

Old 19-05-2007, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I too use slug pellets but you may wish to try something else!

I spotted a fellow allotmenteer sinking a plastic bowl beside her
strawberries and filling it with water. When I aske why she stated she had
read in an allotment article that it encourages frogs/toads who munch slugs
and snails.

Given it a go but after one week no frogs/toads yet! But the blue pellets
are killing the beasties!!!!!!!!

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving