Old 16-05-2007, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default olive tree - olea europaea - Winter hardy in UK?

Has anyone got any experience growing an olive tree outside in the UK?
I've just bought one (an impulse buy) but according to the label it should
be kept in a frost free place over Winter. The tree is 5 feet high with a
half inch diameter trunk. We don't have much suitable space so it would be
inconvenient to keep it indoors over Winter.

After Googling, it seems they can survive outside in the UK if they are
mature enough. Question is - what is mature enough? Would it survive planted
outdoors in a sheltered but sunny spot provided I wrapped it head to toe in
fleece over Winter, until it is old enough to cope?

Also - are they self fertile or do I need another tree? I'm partial to juicy
black olives.

The weather here in Normandy is very similar to Southern England.

Any suggestions?

--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk

Old 16-05-2007, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"David \(Normandy\)" writes:
| Has anyone got any experience growing an olive tree outside in the UK?
| I've just bought one (an impulse buy) but according to the label it should
| be kept in a frost free place over Winter. The tree is 5 feet high with a
| half inch diameter trunk. We don't have much suitable space so it would be
| inconvenient to keep it indoors over Winter.
|
| After Googling, it seems they can survive outside in the UK if they are
| mature enough. Question is - what is mature enough? Would it survive planted
| outdoors in a sheltered but sunny spot provided I wrapped it head to toe in
| fleece over Winter, until it is old enough to cope?

Damn the fleece - don't let them waterlog. They can take light frosts,
but HATE the wet.

| Also - are they self fertile or do I need another tree? I'm partial to juicy
| black olives.

Eaten straight off the tree? :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-05-2007, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...

In article ,
"David \(Normandy\)" writes:

| Also - are they self fertile or do I need another tree? I'm partial to juicy
| black olives.

Eaten straight off the tree? :-)

Olives striaght off the tree are vile and inedible, but I'm sure you knew that ;-)

Gill M
Old 16-05-2007, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Olives striaght off the tree are vile and inedible, but I'm sure you
knew
that ;-)

Gill M

I didn't! I've never had an olive tree before. What makes them edible?

David.

The whole process of preserving them. Ray tried one off our olive trees
last year, despite my warnings and I wish I'd had a camera handy to record
his face!

--
Sacha

Do you keep your trees outdoors or indoors over Winter?

David.

Old 16-05-2007, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message news:f2flia$hv5
I once tried one, on the grounds that you should try everything once,
except incest and folk-dancing, and came to the conclusion it was an
activity that should be done at most once per lifetime.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

That bad eh? Like watching the Eurovision song contest - once in a lifetime
is too often?

David.

Old 16-05-2007, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message news:f2fllf$i53
They are soaked in lye or something similar, and then pickled.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

And I was looking forward to plucking one or two ripe black ones off the
tree to eat with a salad. :-(

David.

Old 16-05-2007, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David (Normandy) wrote:
Has anyone got any experience growing an olive tree outside in the UK?
I've just bought one (an impulse buy) but according to the label it
should be kept in a frost free place over Winter. The tree is 5 feet
high with a half inch diameter trunk. We don't have much suitable
space so it would be inconvenient to keep it indoors over Winter.

After Googling, it seems they can survive outside in the UK if they
are mature enough. Question is - what is mature enough? Would it
survive planted outdoors in a sheltered but sunny spot provided I
wrapped it head to toe in fleece over Winter, until it is old enough
to cope?
Also - are they self fertile or do I need another tree? I'm partial
to juicy black olives.

The weather here in Normandy is very similar to Southern England.

Any suggestions?

you should be fine - mine in SW19 is thriving.

any problems re likely to come from cold wet water retentive soil, not
moderate frost.

pk

Old 16-05-2007, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

The whole process of preserving them. Ray tried one off our olive
trees last year, despite my warnings and I wish I'd had a camera
handy to record his face!

I tried one straight off mine a couple of years ago - I had not spotted it
and it had stayed there through the winter and was black and shrivelled, but
tasted just fine in a black olive sort of way.

pk

Old 16-05-2007, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren wrote:

I once tried one, on the grounds that you should try everything once,
except incest and folk-dancing, and came to the conclusion it was an
activity that should be done at most once per lifetime.

As with Arbutus unedo, the latin scholars amongst us will no doubt enjoy the
in-joke!

pk

Old 16-05-2007, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"David \(Normandy\)" writes:

| I once tried one, on the grounds that you should try everything once,
| except incest and folk-dancing, and came to the conclusion it was an
| activity that should be done at most once per lifetime.
|
| That bad eh? Like watching the Eurovision song contest - once in a lifetime
| is too often?

Watching the complete Eurodrivel Song contest is a pleasure by comparison!

I am quite seriously deaf (55-60 dB), so probably don't suffer as badly as
most people from that :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-05-2007, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/5/07 20:57, in article ,
"David (Normandy)" wrote:

Olives striaght off the tree are vile and inedible, but I'm sure you
knew
that ;-)

Gill M

I didn't! I've never had an olive tree before. What makes them edible?

David.

The whole process of preserving them. Ray tried one off our olive trees
last year, despite my warnings and I wish I'd had a camera handy to record
his face!

--
Sacha

Do you keep your trees outdoors or indoors over Winter?

David.

Indoors but only frost free, not heated for growth. We're too close to
Dartmoor to risk outdoors. And much, much too wet. They're flowering now
and the almond trees have fruit on them, too. This is going to be a very
interesting year.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk