GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   French Beans (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/158721-french-beans.html)

Compo[_2_] 17-05-2007 04:11 PM

French Beans

I have just planted a number of dwarf French bean seeds (Var. Eden) in
3" pots. I have set two seeds per pot and wonder whether I can plant
them out together or if I should remove the weaker seedling when they
sprout?

Cheers,
Compo.

shazzbat 18-05-2007 08:43 AM

French Beans

"Compo" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have just planted a number of dwarf French bean seeds (Var. Eden) in
3" pots. I have set two seeds per pot and wonder whether I can plant
them out together or if I should remove the weaker seedling when they
sprout?

Picking one out is the norm. If you leave two too close together they
compete for nutrients, water etc, and at best you'll get the same yield from
the two as you would have got from one on it's own.

At least that's the perceived wisdom. You could have an experiment and let
us know the results.

Steve

K 18-05-2007 09:44 AM

French Beans

shazzbat writes

"Compo" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have just planted a number of dwarf French bean seeds (Var. Eden) in
3" pots. I have set two seeds per pot and wonder whether I can plant
them out together or if I should remove the weaker seedling when they
sprout?

Picking one out is the norm. If you leave two too close together they
compete for nutrients, water etc, and at best you'll get the same yield from
the two as you would have got from one on it's own.

At least that's the perceived wisdom. You could have an experiment and let
us know the results.

Of course, if you leave two, a slug can eat through the stem of one and
still leave you with one bean
--
Kay

Compo[_2_] 18-05-2007 10:26 AM

French Beans

On 18 May, 08:43, "shazzbat"
wrote:
"Compo" wrote in message

ups.com...

I have just planted a number of dwarf French bean seeds (Var. Eden) in
3" pots. I have set two seeds per pot and wonder whether I can plant
them out together or if I should remove the weaker seedling when they

\snip\

At least that's the perceived wisdom. You could have an experiment and let
us know the results.

Steve

As I have plenty and lots of space I think I will experiment; planting
some in pairs and some singly. I know that it is normal to prick out
the weaker of most seedlings but I have not grown Frenchies before. I
shall post the result to the ng in the Autumn.

Thanks for the replies,
Compo.

Compo[_2_] 18-05-2007 10:29 AM

French Beans

On 18 May, 09:44, K wrote:
shazzbat writes

"Compo" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have just planted a number of dwarf French bean seeds (Var. Eden) in
3" pots. I have set two seeds per pot and wonder whether I can plant
them out together or if I should remove the weaker seedling when they
sprout?

\snip\

Of course, if you leave two, a slug can eat through the stem of one and
still leave you with one bean
--
Kay- Hide quoted text -

Ah-ha! good thinking there, the garden is boundered by fields and
slugs see our patch as a 5* hotel, so I shall leave some in pairs to
see what happens. Results will be posted in Autumn.

Cheers,
Compo