GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Wind effect on Wisteria Venusta (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/158783-wind-effect-wisteria-venusta.html)

lucretia 19-05-2007 02:57 PM

Wind effect on Wisteria Venusta

I planted a wisteria venusta (silky wisteria) in my garden about a month ago. It's about 3 feet tall (bit of a novice so not sure how old that would make it), and at the time of planting had nice lush leaves and was starting to flower.

My garden is fairly exposed and we've had lots of rain and heavy wind over the last few weeks. The soil is clay-based so it retains the water .

The net effect on my wisteria is that all the leaves and flowers have gone - i.e. its gone back to branch. There's no branch damage - just a lack of greenery.

Could someone let me know whether:
- this is only to be expected
- I can expect any grow back this year
- I should be doing anything (pruning, fertilise, etc.)

Thanks for any advice provided.

old perennial 24-05-2007 11:30 AM

Sound like it was fresh from the garden centre where it had protection. Wisterias dont like early spring morning sunshine hey can suffer from frost damage.

I just think that the change in conditions upset it abit this year before it became aclimatised. Give it a regular liquid feed and train in the runers to your frame work. I wouldnt prune until the plant has reached where you wanted it to grow. It should be much better next year.