GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Winter pansies (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/158959-winter-pansies.html)

Alan Jones 22-05-2007 05:14 PM

Winter pansies

I have a fairly large bowl full of winter-flowering pansies, still blooming
well but getting leggy. If I trimmed them, removing the present flowers, and
fed and watered them, would they start to bloom again soon - or should I
scrap them and plant something else in the bowl? (They are a particularly
brilliant shade of blue - not purple - which is why I am reluctant to scrap
them.)

Alan Jones

Sacha 22-05-2007 05:33 PM

Winter pansies

On 22/5/07 17:14, in article ,
"Alan Jones" wrote:

I have a fairly large bowl full of winter-flowering pansies, still blooming
well but getting leggy. If I trimmed them, removing the present flowers, and
fed and watered them, would they start to bloom again soon - or should I
scrap them and plant something else in the bowl? (They are a particularly
brilliant shade of blue - not purple - which is why I am reluctant to scrap
them.)

It's worth a try, though most people throw them out to make way for summer
plants. But you could dead head them and see what happens and if the answer
is 'nothing much' within a couple of weeks, scrap them and plant something
else. If you like blue try Torenia. It comes in several colours but
there's a wonderful blue form T. Clown Blue, that is reminiscent of the
velvety look of pansies and it's a terrific container plant. Personally,
I'd go for that instead of struggling along with something that might look a
bit scrappy.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk