GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Aphids and whitefly on greenhouse peppers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/159025-aphids-whitefly-greenhouse-peppers.html)

Peter James[_2_] 23-05-2007 02:35 PM

Aphids and whitefly on greenhouse peppers

Does anyone on this NG have an effective control of whitefly and aphids
on sweet peppers. My plants are crawling with the wrtetched things, and
it seems that a lot of the aphids/whitefly are tolerant of a lot of the
control sprays and chemical treatments.

Sacha 23-05-2007 02:54 PM

Aphids and whitefly on greenhouse peppers

On 23/5/07 14:35, in article
, "Peter James"

http://www.just-green.com/

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

K 23-05-2007 05:44 PM

Aphids and whitefly on greenhouse peppers

Peter James writes
Does anyone on this NG have an effective control of whitefly and aphids
on sweet peppers. My plants are crawling with the wrtetched things, and
it seems that a lot of the aphids/whitefly are tolerant of a lot of the
control sprays and chemical treatments.

Whitefly - you can reduce a great deal by vacuum cleaning - use the
small brush that you'd use for delicate things so you don't damage the
leaves. Biological control - Encarsia - widely available.
--
Kay

Tez 24-05-2007 04:24 PM

On 23 May, 14:35, (Peter James) wrote:
Does anyone on this NG have an effective control of whitefly and aphids
on sweet peppers. My plants are crawling with the wrtetched things, and
it seems that a lot of the aphids/whitefly are tolerant of a lot of the
control sprays and chemical treatments.

I use Bio Spray Day, I've had 100% success with this on white and
black fly.

Lionel 24-05-2007 05:53 PM

"Peter James" wrote in message
news:1hyklpw.kjavfs15tnz6uN%pfjames2000@googlemail .com...
Does anyone on this NG have an effective control of whitefly and aphids
on sweet peppers. My plants are crawling with the wrtetched things, and
it seems that a lot of the aphids/whitefly are tolerant of a lot of the
control sprays and chemical treatments.

Bit late now perhaps but you can buy a pack of 7 double sided flypapers
specially made to attract whitefly, greenfly, blackfly (there's a bluebottle
on mine, so no colour prejudice!!) thrips and midges. (Bio make them) I
bought a pack last year and still have two for next year.

A very good thing for getting rid of aphids is softsoap (Not washing-up
liquid nor hard soap from the bathroom!) - Chempack(?) from the garden
centre - but only use sparingly on the massed aphids because it affects
leaves adversly if used often. Perhaps a spray with clean water a few hours
later might be effective - must try that myself if my greenhouse plants are
attacked. The theory is that soft soap de-greases the aphids and they die
of dehydration!

Best of luck

Lionel