GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   problem with olive tree (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/159038-re-problem-olive-tree.html)

Dave Hill 23-05-2007 10:20 PM

problem with olive tree

On 23 May, 18:21, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"eleonora66" wrote Dear all, can you please help me?
I've planted an olive tree in September and it had done quite well but
last night
I've discovered that it is full of white sticky stuff, looks like small
bits of cotton wool in between the leaves,can't explain it any better.
The plant is not large and I could easily spray if necessary but I need to
know what sort of chemical to use and, as it was planted against an
ornamental vine, is there a danger that this could be affected by the
chemical.

I assume the chemical may be suggested by you as I am not experienced.

Just to add to your confusion ...Scale Insect at the breeding stage.
If each bit of white wool is topped by a brown scale then it's scale insect
and you need to spray asap. There are still chemicals on the market that
will do for scale.

--
Regards
Bob H

As your tree is still quite small you could try painting all the
woolly bits with Methylated Spirits using a childs paint brush.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries