GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Ants in compost heap (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/159069-ants-compost-heap.html)

John E 24-05-2007 03:35 PM

Ants in compost heap

I have a compost bin, which I am enthusiastically filling up with kitchen
(plant) waste and occasional weeds/lawn clippings. There is an ants nest in
the soil under the bin, and the ants are regularly to be seen in the
compost.

Is this something I should be concerned about? If so, what should I do to
deal with it? (I would have hoped that the heat of the decomposing plants
might have discouraged the perishers, but it seems not.)

John.

Nick Maclaren 24-05-2007 04:13 PM

Ants in compost heap

In article ,
"John E" writes:
| I have a compost bin, which I am enthusiastically filling up with kitchen
| (plant) waste and occasional weeds/lawn clippings. There is an ants nest in
| the soil under the bin, and the ants are regularly to be seen in the
| compost.
|
| Is this something I should be concerned about? If so, what should I do to
| deal with it? (I would have hoped that the heat of the decomposing plants
| might have discouraged the perishers, but it seems not.)

It generally indicates that the compost is too dry. Other than that,
no. Don't worry even if they move the nest INTO the bin.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

John E 24-05-2007 04:24 PM

Ants in compost heap

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"John E" writes:
| I have a compost bin, which I am enthusiastically filling up with
kitchen
| (plant) waste and occasional weeds/lawn clippings. There is an ants
nest in
| the soil under the bin, and the ants are regularly to be seen in the
| compost.
|
| Is this something I should be concerned about? If so, what should I do
| deal with it? (I would have hoped that the heat of the decomposing
plants
| might have discouraged the perishers, but it seems not.)

It generally indicates that the compost is too dry. Other than that,
no. Don't worry even if they move the nest INTO the bin.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks, Nick. (I'm watering it now...)

John.