Old 25-05-2007, 12:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wellington Boots for the garden

Everywhere I look I come across the same Wellington Boots ( Town & Country
etc) sold at Garden Centres, marketed at gardeners, that are useless for
digging as they haven't got a steel mid-sole and digging pad and will fail
if they are used for digging. Some fail very dramatically and painfully as I
know!
However after talking to the chap on the Hunter stand at Chelsea it appears
they make a suitable boot...
http://www.wellie-boots.com/ukmofcar...y-knee-dp.html
anyone used them? Are they any good?
Anyone found a real gardening Wellington boot of another make?

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 25-05-2007, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

You need to be looking in agri/construction industrial suppliers
rather than garden places, no need to pay Hunter prices. Most of the
work boots I've had have been from the Dickies range. The current
wellies are Branded Dickies Super safety - Ultra Safe. Reinforced
toecaps and mid-sole though not steel. Having said that I tend to do
most of my digging in ordinary workboots with reinforced mid sole and
toe, they've usually been Dickies but the current excellent pair are
branded DeWalt, all numbers and markings are worn off because they've
had a couple of hard years of all day everyday use, including digging
14 new deep beds in heavy soil - each roughly 50ft x 4 ft - the instep
of the digging foot is breaking down now though.
--
Rod

My real address is rodthegardeneratmyisp

Old 25-05-2007, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/5/07 23:17, in article , "Bob
Hobden" wrote:

Everywhere I look I come across the same Wellington Boots ( Town & Country
etc) sold at Garden Centres, marketed at gardeners, that are useless for
digging as they haven't got a steel mid-sole and digging pad and will fail
if they are used for digging. Some fail very dramatically and painfully as I
know!
However after talking to the chap on the Hunter stand at Chelsea it appears
they make a suitable boot...
http://www.wellie-boots.com/ukmofcar...y-knee-dp.html
anyone used them? Are they any good?
Anyone found a real gardening Wellington boot of another make?

Have you got a store like Tucker's (seedsmen and country store) or Mole
Valley Farmers near you, Bob? Ray wears wellies sometimes but the other men
here tend to wear steel capped boots. Don't know about the sole but I'll
ask when I remember!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 25-05-2007, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote after..
"Bob Hobden"asked
[...]

Not that I know of, I used to use the Cornwall Farmers in Wadebridge for
stuff like that but our friends that used to live near Camelford now live in
SW France so I don't travel to Cornwall anywhere near as much. I'll take a
look at the Safety clothing shops, of which I've seen a couple, around here
but somehow I doubt they will stock boots with a digging pad.
I have got a pair of DeWalt trainers with steel toecaps etc which I wear
when using the mower but I do like to wear Wellies if I'm digging or using
the Rotovator otherwise I get covered in mud and get a shoe full, messy sod
that I am.
Perhaps I'll just wait and put them on my Christmas pressy list! :-)

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 25-05-2007, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
Everywhere I look I come across the same Wellington Boots ( Town & Country
etc) sold at Garden Centres, marketed at gardeners, that are useless for
digging as they haven't got a steel mid-sole and digging pad and will fail
if they are used for digging. Some fail very dramatically and painfully as I
know!
However after talking to the chap on the Hunter stand at Chelsea it appears
they make a suitable boot...
http://www.wellie-boots.com/ukmofcar...y-knee-dp.html
anyone used them? Are they any good?
Anyone found a real gardening Wellington boot of another make?

I do my best to avoid digging but I can vouch for Hunter boots. I have
a pair of 3/4 Argyle farming boots which have three great advantages -
they really are comfortable when worn for extended periods, they cope
well with rough terrain and they are relatively easy to take off. I
bought them about 5 years ago and they are high on my list of 'best ever
buys' .
They are available at branches of Mole Valley and some tack shops.
--
Robert
Old 25-05-2007, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 25 May, 20:38, Robert wrote:
In message , Bob Hobden
writesEverywhere I look I come across the same Wellington Boots ( Town & Country
[...]

In over 50 years of digging I have NEVER had a pair of wellies damaged
by a spade
I was always told when I was young to use the ball of my foot on the
spade and in those days we were on heavy clay, when I started on the
parks in Hastings we hand dug all the beds and borders every winter,
and when I moved over to market gardening we used to hand dig all the
greenhouse plots during the winter, a total of over half an acre for 2
of us.
Some old gardeners used to put a bit of split hose pipe over the top
of the blade.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.

Old 25-05-2007, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/5/07 20:38, in article , "Robert"
wrote:

[...]

I don't do the digging but I've had my Hunters for at least 12 years. Ray
prefers cheapie ones from Tuckers which have very wide tops. He can slip
them on and off with ease as he comes in and out of the house whereas my
Hunters are a bit fitted round the calf. Thank heaven for stone flagged
floors, is all I can say!

Old 25-05-2007, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote ...((snip))
In over 50 years of digging I have NEVER had a pair of wellies damaged
by a spade

Lucky you, I had one of a pair of Barbour wellies (a present) go suddenly
and catastrophically when under full pressure and really did think I'd cut
my foot in half it was so painful.
Years ago I had a pair of Huntairs which were wonderful but they don't make
them any more and, again, they aren't designed for digging anyway.
--
Regards
Bob H

Old 26-05-2007, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24 May, 23:17, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
Everywhere I look I come across the same Wellington Boots ( Town & Country
etc) sold at Garden Centres, marketed at gardeners, that are useless for
digging as they haven't got a steel mid-sole and digging pad and will fail
if they are used for digging. Some fail very dramatically and painfully as I
know!
However after talking to the chap on the Hunter stand at Chelsea it appears
they make a suitable boot...http://www.wellie-boots.com/ukmofcar...y-knee-dp.html
anyone used them? Are they any good?
Anyone found a real gardening Wellington boot of another make?

http://tinyurl.com/yt9exd
There are others on the Dickies site, but I have bought these from the
local farm shop with great satisfaction. I've never seen one with a
steel insole without it having safety toecaps, mind, but it's no bad
thing.

Old 26-05-2007, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Rod
wrote

You need to be looking in agri/construction industrial suppliers
rather than garden places, no need to pay Hunter prices. Most of the
work boots I've had have been from the Dickies range. The current
wellies are Branded Dickies Super safety - Ultra Safe. Reinforced
toecaps and mid-sole though not steel.

Around £23 from ebrookes

http://www.ebrookes.co.uk/?c=1305

or cheaper for 'unbranded'