Old 27-05-2007, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default me garden shed roof is leaking :-(

The shed is only a few months old and this is the second time it has leaked
badly, it has roof felt on it and my OH put lots more nails in the joins
and then painted some sealant on there but it has happened again, not quite
so bad but bad enough. Does anyone know of a really good sealant that we
could perhaps paint the whole to with or any other brainwaves please

kate

Old 27-05-2007, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Kate Morgan wrote:

The shed is only a few months old and this is the second time it has leaked
badly, it has roof felt on it and my OH put lots more nails in the joins
and then painted some sealant on there but it has happened again, not quite
so bad but bad enough. Does anyone know of a really good sealant that we
could perhaps paint the whole to with or any other brainwaves please

kate

Hi Kate,

If it is just a matter of generally good felt but unfortunately a number
of nails (or anything else) have pierced it, then consider buying a roll
of that bituminous stuff that I know is sold in many different widths
and lengths by FOCUS. I think £7 buys you about 10 metres by 10
centimetres. You unroll it, cut it to the required length, peel off the
plastic film from the underside, and then gently press the stuff down
over the affected area - after having thoroughly cleaned it, washed it,
and dried it. It's best to do it on a sunny day when the heat of the
sun will make the bitumin somewhat "tarry" or sticky so that you can
make sure it adheres fully and well, particularly along the outer edges.
If you are only assailed with a few sporadic holes, then buy a short
roll and cut out some patches. Think of it as "sticking plaster for
roofs".

This product is a couple of millimetres thick, at least as thick as
felt, and should last as long as the felt roof does, before you next
replace the roof entirely.

Good luck.

Eddy.

P.S. I think it's called "Flash" something, as it's a cheap DIY
alternative to proper lead flashing on roofs and chimneys.

Old 27-05-2007, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 27 May 2007 16:29:46 +0100, "Kate Morgan"
wrote:

The shed is only a few months old and this is the second time it has leaked
badly, it has roof felt on it and my OH put lots more nails in the joins
and then painted some sealant on there but it has happened again, not quite
so bad but bad enough. Does anyone know of a really good sealant that we
could perhaps paint the whole to with or any other brainwaves please

kate

About five years ago I sealed all the leaks in the roof up with strips
of Duck tape. It was supposed to be a temporary measure until a real
job was done but the roof hasn't leaked since.

Steve

Old 27-05-2007, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

The shed is only a few months old and this is the second time it has
leaked
badly, it has roof felt on it and my OH put lots more nails in the joins
and then painted some sealant on there but it has happened again, not
quite
so bad but bad enough. Does anyone know of a really good sealant that we
could perhaps paint the whole to with or any other brainwaves please

kate

About five years ago I sealed all the leaks in the roof up with strips
of Duck tape. It was supposed to be a temporary measure until a real
job was done but the roof hasn't leaked since.
Steve

Reminds me of the time I had a hole in my rain poncho while walking in the
Lake District.....Got back to the car park/Forestry info place where there
was a bike hire. I asked if they could put a patch on my poncho....The young
guy got out some duct tape and mended it for me. He said " Like The Force,
duct tape has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe
together".

Jenny "~)

Old 27-05-2007, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:
The shed is only a few months old and this is the second time it has leaked
badly, it has roof felt on it and my OH put lots more nails in the joins
and then painted some sealant on there but it has happened again, not quite
so bad but bad enough. Does anyone know of a really good sealant that we
could perhaps paint the whole to with or any other brainwaves please

kate

About five years ago I sealed all the leaks in the roof up with strips
of Duck tape. It was supposed to be a temporary measure until a real
job was done but the roof hasn't leaked since.

Steve

I have the same problem with a 20 ft garage roof, as soon as I have
time and a suitable day I am going to felt over the roof so that it
has an extra layer.
As the roof pitch isn't to steep I would be tempted to turf it, but I
don't have an area where I could take that much turf without leaving a
hefty scar
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 27-05-2007, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 27 May 2007 15:48:00 GMT, Eddy Bentley
wrote:

Kate Morgan wrote:

[...]

I use this stuff to repair splits in the felt on the flat roof of our
house extension, but I always first paint the area I'm going to repair
with a very generous coat of bitumen paint, and then apply the tape
while the bitumen paint is still wet. It helps the adhesion and
encourages a good watertight seal that you might not otherwise get.
Lasts years if done thoroughly, but can be messy (think 'Brer Rabbit
and the Tar Baby'!).

--
Chris

Old 27-05-2007, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote ...
The shed is only a few months old and this is the second time it has
leaked badly, it has roof felt on it and my OH put lots more nails in the
joins and then painted some sealant on there but it has happened again,
not quite so bad but bad enough. Does anyone know of a really good sealant
that we could perhaps paint the whole to with or any other brainwaves
please

Roofing felt should not be nailed, that defeats the purpose of it, it should
be stuck down with the correct bitumen paint.

Very messy, you will need strong gloves and an old (disposable) paint brush
and something to spread it with like a trowel and possibly some old
disposable clothes too if you are as messy as me. When you have stuck felt
on both sides cut a good width to go over the ridge and the two sides and
stick that down too. Should last years.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 27-05-2007, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I think that is obvious that the felt was not put on the roof correctly in
the first place and we have made it worse by trying to nail it down flatter,
I can see that now. Thank you all very much for the good advice, I have some
duct tape so could use that until I am able to get to a DIY store and then I
will know what I am looking for.

thanks all again

kate
------------------------

"Kate Morgan" wrote ...

Old 27-05-2007, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27 May, 19:22, "JennyC" wrote:
Reminds me of the time I had a hole in my rain poncho while walking in the
Lake District.....Got back to the car park/Forestry info place where there
was a bike hire. I asked if they could put a patch on my poncho....The young
guy got out some duct tape and mended it for me. He said " Like The Force,
duct tape has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe
together".

'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads
to hate. Hate leads to suffering. I sense much fear in you'. Why
didn't I remembered that when I needed it the most ;o)

Old 28-05-2007, 06:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message

So many people have so much trouble with bitumen felt. I cannot understand
why those very thin imitation roofing slates are not more widely used. They
dont perish and dont leak and are not heavy. O.k., they probably cost a
bit more initially, but once down thats the end of it.

Old 28-05-2007, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote
"JennyC" wrote:
Reminds me of the time I had a hole in my rain poncho while walking in the
Lake District.....Got back to the car park/Forestry info place where there
was a bike hire. I asked if they could put a patch on my poncho....The
young
guy got out some duct tape and mended it for me. He said " Like The Force,
duct tape has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe
together".

LOL I'll try to remember that.
Martin

This definition is even better :~))

"All of life's problems can be solved with two things-duct tape and WD40. If
it moves and it shouldn't, you need duct tape. And if it doesn't move and it
should, you need WD40."-Unknown

Jenny

Old 28-05-2007, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
The shed is only a few months old and this is the second time it has
leaked badly, it has roof felt on it and my OH put lots more nails in the
joins and then painted some sealant on there but it has happened again,
not quite so bad but bad enough. Does anyone know of a really good sealant
that we could perhaps paint the whole to with or any other brainwaves
please

kate

B&Q

Aquaseal. 5 litre tin. Blue/Black and White tin

Apply with old paint brush and really put it on in quite a good layer.

:-))))))))))))))))))))

Instant repair lasts for ages

Did the flat roof on my shed. Even when the wind ripped the roofing felt, I
nailed it back on and covered it with this Aquaseal stuff

BRILLIANT stuff

Me? Shares in the company? What makes you think that?

Well you're wrong :-)) Just find it superb stuff

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 30-05-2007, 09:59 AM
Registered User

If you have a Wickes store handy, they sell sheets of corrigated bitchmin rubber type product coloured green. This is perfect for shed rooves and lasts for ever and doesnt leak as its nailed onto the roof at the top of the corrigated peak.
Old 30-05-2007, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 28 May 2007 22:23:27 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

[...]

I never got on with * Aquaseal * when I used it afew years back . Have
used Wickes roof felt adhesive which I found to be much better .....
thicker + trowelable also cheaper especially when u buy a bigger tin
etc. Also did you use proper nails i.e. Clout nails which shouldn't
cause problems if your roof is pitched and you allow agood overlap
over the ridge ...... 12 ins or so
Old 18-06-2007, 10:13 AM
Registered User

Location: Newbury
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate Morgan View Post
The shed is only a few months old and this is the second time it has leaked
badly, it has roof felt on it and my OH put lots more nails in the joins
and then painted some sealant on there but it has happened again, not quite
so bad but bad enough. Does anyone know of a really good sealant that we
could perhaps paint the whole to with or any other brainwaves please

kate
The best thing to felt your roof with is a high grade 38kg nylon backed mineral felt. It's not cheap but in the long run it will pay for itself.

Silly question but did you remove the exsiting felt before your relayed the new felt? Also did you use felt nails (these are short stubby nails designed to just peirce the felt and not go all the way through the timber).