GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Unusual trees for a new park (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/159262-unusual-trees-new-park.html)

Bob Hobden 28-05-2007 06:56 PM

Unusual trees for a new park

Been thinking of some unusual trees to plant in a new local Park of about 10
acres that used to be my old allotment site. We already have lots of native
trees and shrubs btw but they won't get tree preservation orders on them for
a long time. (not that I'm suggesting the Council might eventually want to
build on the land!)

Here is my list so far....

Aesculus pavia "Briotii".

Red Buckeye (also var. flavescens, yellow flowered form) Small tree to
5 - 8m tall. Red Horse Chestnut type flowers.

Albizia julibrissin.

Silk Tree. Small tree with spreading crown to 5-12 m tall. Pink puff ball
flowers.

Aralia elata 'Aureovariegata'
Japanese Angelica Tree. To 5 m tall. Spiny.

Aralia spinosa
Devil's Walking-stick. 2 - 4 m Tall. Spiny.
Aralia chinensis

Chinese angelica tree. To 3.5 m tall. More frost tender.

Catalpa bignonioides
Indian Bean tree. To 25m tall eventually. Becoming common.

Catalpa speciosa
Northern Bean tree. To 15 - 20 m tall.

Cercis chinesis
Chinese redbud. To 12ft tall, flowers well.

Clerodendrum trichotomum
To 3 m tall. Autumn flowers and unusual fruit.

Eucalyptus coccifera

To 15 m tall quickly.

Eucalyptus gunnii

Cider Gum. To 30 m tall quickly.

Eucalyptus pauciflora
Snow Gum. To 20 m tall.

Eucalyptus subcrenulata

Tasmanian Alpine Yellow Gum. To 15 m tall.

Ficus carica
Fig. 3 - 9 m tall.

Firmiana simplex
Chinese Parasol tree. To 10 - 15 m tall.

Idesia polycarpa
To 12 m tall. Fragrant flowers.

Itoa orientalis
To 8 -12 m tall. Rare. (hardiness?)

Kalopanax septemlobus
Castor aralia. To 30 m tall. Flowers in autumn. Very hardy, tropical
looking.

Koelreuteria paniculata
Goldenrain tree. To 15 m tall.

Leitneria floridana
Corkwood. To 2 - 6 m tall. Shruby. Likes damp ground.

Liriodendron chinense and tulipifera
Tulip tree. To 30 m + tall.

Paulownia tomentosa
Foxglove tree. To 10 - 25 m tall. Purple foxglove flowers in spring. Huge
leaves.

Please feel free to comment about hardiness etc, add more suggestions, pick
the list to pieces. :-)

--
Regards
Bob H

Stewart Robert Hinsley 28-05-2007 07:29 PM

Unusual trees for a new park

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
[...]

Bean suggests that it is better suited to Cornwall than London, needing
wall protection in London. The climate's warmed since Bean wrote, but I
think that it will still need a sheltered location in most parts of the
country.

Idesia polycarpa
To 12 m tall. Fragrant flowers.

Itoa orientalis
To 8 -12 m tall. Rare. (hardiness?)

Kalopanax septemlobus
Castor aralia. To 30 m tall. Flowers in autumn. Very hardy, tropical
looking.

Koelreuteria paniculata
Goldenrain tree. To 15 m tall.

Leitneria floridana
Corkwood. To 2 - 6 m tall. Shruby. Likes damp ground.

Liriodendron chinense and tulipifera
Tulip tree. To 30 m + tall.

The latter probably doesn't count as unusual; it's a fairly common
specimen tree. There's a variegated form.

Paulownia tomentosa
Foxglove tree. To 10 - 25 m tall. Purple foxglove flowers in spring. Huge
leaves.

Can be coppiced as a foliage plant. If you don't coppice it the leaves
are less huge.

Please feel free to comment about hardiness etc, add more suggestions, pick
the list to pieces. :-)

Castanopsis cuspidata. Sort of intermediate between an oak and a sweet
chestnut.

Entelea arborescens (New Zealand Mulberry). Not very hardy.

Illicium floridanum (Star Anise).

Lomatia sp.

Phymosia rosea. Deep purple somewhat Abutilon like flowers (but actually
more closely related to mallows). I've only seen one specimen, grown on
a south facing terrace (and mislabelled as Malvaviscus arboreus, which I
doubt would be hardy).

Wollemia nobilis.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Bob Hobden 28-05-2007 11:47 PM

Unusual trees for a new park

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote ((SNIP))

Lomatia sp.

Thought they were flies :-)

Phymosia rosea. Deep purple somewhat Abutilon like flowers (but actually
more closely related to mallows). I've only seen one specimen, grown on a
south facing terrace (and mislabelled as Malvaviscus arboreus, which I
doubt would be hardy).

Wollemia nobilis.

Thanks Stewart.
I had thought about a Wollemi Pine but they are expensive for their size.
However that puts me on another tack, how about ancient, prehistoric tree
species like the Wollemi?
Suggestions please...

--
Regards
Bob H

Stewart Robert Hinsley 29-05-2007 12:10 AM

Unusual trees for a new park

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote ((SNIP))

Lomatia sp.

Thought they were flies :-)

Quite a few generic names are reused between plants and animals. For
example, Modiola, Napaea, ...

Phymosia rosea. Deep purple somewhat Abutilon like flowers (but actually
more closely related to mallows). I've only seen one specimen, grown on a
south facing terrace (and mislabelled as Malvaviscus arboreus, which I
doubt would be hardy).

Wollemia nobilis.

Thanks Stewart.
I had thought about a Wollemi Pine but they are expensive for their size.
However that puts me on another tack, how about ancient, prehistoric tree
species like the Wollemi?
Suggestions please...

Lots of plant genera have long fossil records. For example limes (Tilia,
not Citrus) are about 60 million years old. However some plants often
considered under this category are

Gingko biloba
Araucaria araucana (any other hardy Araucaria would be more unusual)
Metasequoia glyptostroboides
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 29-05-2007 08:50 AM

Unusual trees for a new park

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
[...]

Would a palm or three not break up the monotony of all that common stuff:-)

Nick Maclaren 29-05-2007 08:55 AM

Unusual trees for a new park

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:

| I had thought about a Wollemi Pine but they are expensive for their size.
| However that puts me on another tack, how about ancient, prehistoric tree
| species like the Wollemi?
| Suggestions please...

A female gingko.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Nick Maclaren 29-05-2007 09:04 AM

Unusual trees for a new park

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:

| Albizia julibrissin.
|
| Silk Tree. Small tree with spreading crown to 5-12 m tall. Pink puff ball
| flowers.

Maybe. I have been trying for some years, and it dies back to the
ground every winter, and so has never started to grow.

| Cercis chinesis
| Chinese redbud. To 12ft tall, flowers well.

You could also try C. canadiensis.

| Ficus carica
| Fig. 3 - 9 m tall.

Grrk. In the open, it will be a small shrub, if it thrives. As with
some of the others, it's the lack of a summer that is its problem.

You could also try Halesia monticola and Maclura aurantica.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

CWatters 29-05-2007 10:28 AM

Unusual trees for a new park

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Been thinking of some unusual trees to plant in a new local Park of about

10
acres that used to be my old allotment site. We already have lots of

native
trees and shrubs btw but they won't get tree preservation orders on them

for
a long time. (not that I'm suggesting the Council might eventually want to
build on the land!)

Here is my list so far....

How big is this allotment? Sounds like it might be a bit crowded.

Emery Davis 29-05-2007 10:55 AM

Unusual trees for a new park

Hi Bob,

On Mon, 28 May 2007 18:56:23 +0100
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

[]
Albizia julibrissin.

Silk Tree. Small tree with spreading crown to 5-12 m tall. Pink puff ball
flowers.

Does best on well drained (even sandy) soil. If soil is not sufficiently acidic
the flowers will fade very quickly and be more white than pink. Cultivar
'Ombrella' is hardier.

[]
Cercis chinesis
Chinese redbud. To 12ft tall, flowers well.

Nice tree, and hardy. Can take full sun though most don't recommend it.

[]
Kalopanax septemlobus
Castor aralia. To 30 m tall. Flowers in autumn. Very hardy, tropical
looking.

The var. maximowiczii with deeper cut lobes is more interesting. Not a
fast grower. Avoid too windy a spot, the long petioles break and give an
untidy look.

Koelreuteria paniculata
Goldenrain tree. To 15 m tall.

I'm growing cultivar 'Coral Sun" which is very spectacular in spring. "September
Gold" is supposed to be more reliable about flowering late.

[]
Liriodendron chinense and tulipifera
Tulip tree. To 30 m + tall.

Be prepared to wait a long time to see flowers...
[]

How about a Davidia involucrata (pocket handkerchief tree)? I've
always wanted one of those.

Cercidiphyllum japonicum f. pendulum, the weeping katsura tree.

Cornus contraversa variegatum, the wedding cake tree.

Don't forget the rowans and whitebeams:

Sorbus aria 'lutescens'
Sorbus huphensis 'Pink Pagoda' (November Pink)
Sorbus 'Lombart's Golden Wonder'
Sorbus vilmoranii
Sorbus koehneana

Also, great opportunity to plant some maples:

Acer capidociccum ssp sinensis. Lovely copper young leaves and red samaras.
Acer pseudoplatanus 'Simon Louis Freres' Pink and green young leaves
give way to cream.
Acer pectinatum ssp forrestii (cultivars Alice, sirene, sparkling): snakebark with
pretty leaves, Alice is pink, sirene dark red.
Acer griseum. Paper bark maple, very easy to grow and spectacular.
Acer beurgerianum cultivars, fresh green with long lasting fall color.
Acer tutcheri. Great copper color, very unique olive green leaves.

And on it goes...

HTH

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Bob Hobden 29-05-2007 11:13 AM

Unusual trees for a new park

"Nick Maclaren" wrote
after "Bob Hobden" wrote:

| I had thought about a Wollemi Pine but they are expensive for their
size.
| However that puts me on another tack, how about ancient, prehistoric
tree
| species like the Wollemi?
| Suggestions please...

A female gingko.

Finding one may be a problem?

Interesting article in the Kew Magazine about their famous big Ginko near
the Princess of Wales Conservatory, supposed to be a male (actually two
joined together) but had fruit on one branch last year, turns out on
investigation that a branch from a female was grafted on decades ago and
forgotten about. So it's actually three trees joined together.

--
Regards
Bob H

Bob Hobden 29-05-2007 11:14 AM

Unusual trees for a new park

"CWatters" wrote after...

"Bob Hobden" wrote ...
Been thinking of some unusual trees to plant in a new local Park of about

10
acres that used to be my old allotment site. We already have lots of

native
trees and shrubs btw but they won't get tree preservation orders on them

for
a long time. (not that I'm suggesting the Council might eventually want
build on the land!)

Here is my list so far....

How big is this allotment? Sounds like it might be a bit crowded.

About 10 acres.

--
Regards
Bob H

Emery Davis 29-05-2007 11:18 AM

Unusual trees for a new park

On Tue, 29 May 2007 11:13:01 +0100
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

A female gingko.

Finding one may be a problem?

Cultivar 'King of Dongting' is (ironically enough) female.

But maybe Nick was joking. Don't the fruits have a horrible
smell or something?

-E

Bob Hobden 29-05-2007 11:19 AM

Unusual trees for a new park

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote
Would a palm or three not break up the monotony of all that common
stuff:-)

:-) Good idea, not thought of palms, suggestions please.

BTW, soil is about 3ft of good clay/silt over gravel.

--
Regards
Bob H

Bob Hobden 29-05-2007 11:26 AM

Unusual trees for a new park

"Nick Maclaren" wrote after ..
"Bob Hobden" wrote

| Albizia julibrissin.
|
| Silk Tree. Small tree with spreading crown to 5-12 m tall. Pink puff
ball
| flowers.

Maybe. I have been trying for some years, and it dies back to the
ground every winter, and so has never started to grow.

I believe they need protection for a number of years until the trunk is
thick enough to be frost hardy, certainly in a friends garden near Toulouse
they grow well and he gets down to 13°C of frost each winter. I have a few
I've grown from seed and one stayed out in it's pot as an experiment and is
now growing away.

| Cercis chinesis
| Chinese redbud. To 12ft tall, flowers well.

You could also try C. canadiensis.

| Ficus carica
| Fig. 3 - 9 m tall.

Grrk. In the open, it will be a small shrub, if it thrives. As with
some of the others, it's the lack of a summer that is its problem.

That's what I thought, but I saw one near here (Datchet) the other day that
is growing as a specimen tree and it was quite big. Was surrounded mostly by
buildings though but exposed to wind from the River. Mind you, I don't know
how old it is.

You could also try Halesia monticola and Maclura aurantica.

I'll take a look at those, thanks.

--
Regards
Bob H

Bob Hobden 29-05-2007 11:29 AM

Unusual trees for a new park

"Emery Davis" wrote ...
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

A female gingko.

Finding one may be a problem?

Cultivar 'King of Dongting' is (ironically enough) female.

But maybe Nick was joking. Don't the fruits have a horrible
smell or something?

I'm convinced there will be a dog poo problem so nobody will notice the
Ginko. :-)

--
Regards
Bob H

Emery Davis 29-05-2007 11:30 AM

Unusual trees for a new park

On Tue, 29 May 2007 11:29:35 +0100
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

"Emery Davis" wrote ...
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

A female gingko.

Finding one may be a problem?

Cultivar 'King of Dongting' is (ironically enough) female.

But maybe Nick was joking. Don't the fruits have a horrible
smell or something?

I'm convinced there will be a dog poo problem so nobody will notice the
Ginko. :-)

Ah, that's all right, then. ;)

-E

Stewart Robert Hinsley 29-05-2007 12:18 PM

Unusual trees for a new park

In message , Emery Davis
writes
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

A female gingko.

Finding one may be a problem?

Cultivar 'King of Dongting' is (ironically enough) female.

But maybe Nick was joking. Don't the fruits have a horrible
smell or something?

-E

That would make a female gingko an unusual tree because it the male that
is usually planted.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

echinosum 29-05-2007 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Hobden (Post 716280)
Please feel free to comment about hardiness etc, add more suggestions, pick the list to pieces. :-)

Pinus engelmannii (Apache pine) - has just about the longest needles of any pine, and very rare in cultivation in Britain. They have got one that is doing well at Wakehurst Place, so I'm sure you could grow it. Or try Pinus wallichiana or Pinus montezumae if you can't find an engelmannii
Pinus koraiensis (Korean pine) very common in east Asia, the main source of pine nuts, but hardly ever seen in Britain, attractive interesting garded varieties exist
Sciadopitys verticillata (Japanese Umbrella Pine) Quite unique appearance, being the only thing in its family, perfectly hardy, attractive interesting garden varieties also exist.
Araucaria angustifolia (Parana Pine) Related to the common-as-muck monkey puzzle and very rare in cultivation in Britain, some say it is hardy enough here once established.
Lomatia ferruginea - beautiful, rare in cultivation here and doing well at Wakehurst
Embothrium coccineum - ditto
Gevuina avellana - cutting it a bit finer in terms of hardiness, but again very beautiful flowers, usually in autumn
Nothofagus dombeyi, a magnificent large tree, (but will take 600 years to reach full size) unusual in being a broadleaf evergreen with small leaves. Absolutely hardy.
Nothofagus antarctica, a broadleaf deciduous tree with very small leaves giving an unusually open crown, like a birch but more so, beautiful shaped tree. Absolutely hardy.
Eucalyptus perriniana, commonly grown in the cut flower industry but little seen as an ornamental, which is a shame because it is quite bizarre, unique in appearance, and perfectly hardy
Banksia integrifolia, grows tree-sized, really weird flowers, perfectly hardy
Prumnopitys andina (plum-fruited yew) an unusual monospecific yew-like conifer which is more closely related to the podocarps, becoming rare in nature, with an edible berry (dioecious), perfectly hardy
Maytenus boaria, an unusual evergreen from South America, perfectly hardy, rare in cultivation here.
Drimys winteri (Winter's bark), which gives its name to the Winteraceae, a southern hemisphere family of primitive trees and shrubs. An evergreen with an aromatic flower. Perfectly hardy (though would prefer to be in W Scotland) but not too common in cultivation.

You will observe I have a particular taste for southern hemisphere trees.

John McMillan 29-05-2007 04:52 PM

Unusual trees for a new park

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Aesculus pavia "Briotii".

Red Buckeye (also var. flavescens, yellow flowered form) Small tree to
5 - 8m tall. Red Horse Chestnut type flowers.

Aesculus Indica?
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/parmar/02.html

I have three seedlings if you'd like one.

Stewart Robert Hinsley 29-05-2007 05:17 PM

Unusual trees for a new park

In message
, John
McMillan writes
In article ,
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Aesculus pavia "Briotii".

Red Buckeye (also var. flavescens, yellow flowered form) Small tree to
5 - 8m tall. Red Horse Chestnut type flowers.

Aesculus Indica?
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/parmar/02.html

I have three seedlings if you'd like one.

If my memories of London are correct, you can see this in Hyde Park.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 29-05-2007 10:26 PM

Unusual trees for a new park

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote
Would a palm or three not break up the monotony of all that common
stuff:-)

:-) Good idea, not thought of palms, suggestions please.

BTW, soil is about 3ft of good clay/silt over gravel.

--
Regards
Bob H
17mls W. of London.UK

The favourite for most locations which are wind free is Trachycarpus
fortuneii. Butia capitata and Phoenix canariensis are the others that seem
to be gaining in popularity. Cold is not a problem but wet waterlogged soil
is the winter killer. These three sailed through last winter (what winter)
and did not really stop growing. Have a look at the Palm centre just to get
an idea of the sizes and prices :-(
There are better deals from some of the other Palm importers.
http://www.thepalmcentre.co.uk/
Some rather nice Butias at Akamba in Birmingham £600 per metre for a trunk
about 3 metres high with a canopy of a further few metres.
Just in case you need a few, remember to double that price to allow for
transport and hole digging:-)
Perhaps it's best to stick with Leylandii

Bob Hobden 29-05-2007 10:44 PM

Unusual trees for a new park

"John McMillan" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Aesculus pavia "Briotii".

Red Buckeye (also var. flavescens, yellow flowered form) Small tree to
5 - 8m tall. Red Horse Chestnut type flowers.

Aesculus Indica?
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/parmar/02.html

I have three seedlings if you'd like one.

Would love one thanks, but how to get it here?

--
Regards
Bob H (hobdens at btinternetdotcom)

Rod 30-05-2007 10:06 AM

Unusual trees for a new park

On 29 May, 22:44, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"John McMillan" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Aesculus pavia "Briotii".

Red Buckeye (also var. flavescens, yellow flowered form) Small tree to
5 - 8m tall. Red Horse Chestnut type flowers.

Aesculus Indica?
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/parmar/02.html

I have three seedlings if you'd like one.

Would love one thanks, but how to get it here?

--
Regards
Bob H (hobdens at btinternetdotcom)
17mls W. of London.UK

I see nobody's mentioned Dawn Redwood, not esp. rare or unusual but
lovely tree at any time of the year, reasonably fast growing and
there's the fascinating story to tell of it's rediscovery.

Rhiannon S 30-05-2007 11:44 AM

Unusual trees for a new park

oups.com...

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Aesculus pavia "Briotii".

Red Buckeye (also var. flavescens, yellow flowered form) Small

tree to
5 - 8m tall. Red Horse Chestnut type flowers.

Aesculus Indica?
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/parmar/02.html

I have three seedlings if you'd like one.

Would love one thanks, but how to get it here?

--
Regards
Bob H (hobdens at btinternetdotcom)
17mls W. of London.UK

I see nobody's mentioned Dawn Redwood, not esp. rare or unusual but
lovely tree at any time of the year, reasonably fast growing and
there's the fascinating story to tell of it's rediscovery.

Sorry for piggybacking, but I've lost the original post.

My suggestions would be for a Monkey Puzzle Trees (I know they aren't that
rare, but I happen to like monkey puzzle trees and think there should be
more of them) and japanese cherry trees (Prunus serrulata and varients)
which are so gorgeous in spring.

--
Rhiannon_s
Due to it's large carbon footprint the light at the end of the tunnel has

John McMillan 30-05-2007 12:12 PM

Unusual trees for a new park

In article ,

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Aesculus pavia "Briotii".

Red Buckeye (also var. flavescens, yellow flowered form) Small tree to
5 - 8m tall. Red Horse Chestnut type flowers.

Aesculus Indica?
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/parmar/02.html

I have three seedlings if you'd like one.

If my memories of London are correct, you can see this in Hyde Park.

You can certainly see it at Kew gardens, which are where, er, my
three conkers came from. They all sprouted in march and are now 50cm
high thugs. My own site is probably a bit small for such a species
but I thought of growing one and coppicing it. You can do that for
sweet chestnut can't you.

Nick Maclaren 30-05-2007 12:23 PM

Unusual trees for a new park

In article ,
John McMillan writes:
| In article ,
| Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
|
| Aesculus Indica?
| http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/parmar/02.html
|
| I have three seedlings if you'd like one.
|
| If my memories of London are correct, you can see this in Hyde Park.
|
| You can certainly see it at Kew gardens, which are where, er, my
| three conkers came from. They all sprouted in march and are now 50cm
| high thugs. My own site is probably a bit small for such a species
| but I thought of growing one and coppicing it. You can do that for
| sweet chestnut can't you.

Sweet chestnut and horse chestnut have little in common. I doubt
that the tree Aesculus would coppice well, as they tend to suffer
from rot, but the shrubby ones might. I don't know. Sweet chestnut
does coppice well, as you say.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Stewart Robert Hinsley 30-05-2007 12:32 PM

Unusual trees for a new park

In message
, John
McMillan writes
In article ,

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Aesculus pavia "Briotii".

Red Buckeye (also var. flavescens, yellow flowered form) Small tree to
5 - 8m tall. Red Horse Chestnut type flowers.

Aesculus Indica?
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/parmar/02.html

I have three seedlings if you'd like one.

If my memories of London are correct, you can see this in Hyde Park.

You can certainly see it at Kew gardens, which are where, er, my
three conkers came from. They all sprouted in march and are now 50cm
high thugs. My own site is probably a bit small for such a species
but I thought of growing one and coppicing it. You can do that for
sweet chestnut can't you.

Sweet chestnut and horse chestnut are not particularly closely related,
and drawing conclusions about one from the other is not safe. OTOH, many
trees can be coppiced, and there is mention of coppiced horse chestnuts
on the web. (Sweet chestnuts are particularly good for coppicing).

[Sweet chestnuts belong to the group of catkin-bearing trees including
beeches and oaks, and more distantly birches, alders, hazels, hornbeans,
walnuts and wingnuts. Horse chestnuts' closest relatives, apart from an
obscure Mexican genus, are maples, and more distantly golden rain tree,
citrus, sumach, mahogany etc.]
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Bob Hobden 30-05-2007 11:34 PM

Unusual trees for a new park

"Rhiannon S" wrote after Rod wrote...

I see nobody's mentioned Dawn Redwood, not esp. rare or unusual but
lovely tree at any time of the year, reasonably fast growing and
there's the fascinating story to tell of it's rediscovery.

Sorry for piggybacking, but I've lost the original post.

My suggestions would be for a Monkey Puzzle Trees (I know they aren't that
rare, but I happen to like monkey puzzle trees and think there should be
more of them) and japanese cherry trees (Prunus serrulata and varients)
which are so gorgeous in spring.

I think the Dawn Redwood was mentioned previously or at least I've got it on
my list now thanks Rod. A few prehistoric trees would be rather useful for
the local Scouts etc to help them get their badges. :-)

The Monkey Puzzle Tree is a favourite of mine too, there is an excellent one
just near the Orangery at Kew but I'm not so sure one would be a good idea
in a public park these days, some little darling might prick themselves.
:-(
I'll put it to the Council though with most of your other suggestions.

--
Regards
Bob H

Nick Maclaren 30-05-2007 11:52 PM

Unusual trees for a new park

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:

| The Monkey Puzzle Tree is a favourite of mine too, there is an excellent one
| just near the Orangery at Kew but I'm not so sure one would be a good idea
| in a public park these days, some little darling might prick themselves.
| :-(

Oh, GOOD! For sheer viciousness, our native barberry (Berberis vulgaris)
takes a lot of beating. It has spectacular yellow flowers in spring,
and equally spectacular, edible red berries in autumn. Its leaves are
edible, too.

| I'll put it to the Council though with most of your other suggestions.

Taxodium distichum is also good, as is Abies koreana (though a bit
slow growing).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Rhiannon S 31-05-2007 11:11 AM

Unusual trees for a new park

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:

| The Monkey Puzzle Tree is a favourite of mine too, there is an

excellent one
| just near the Orangery at Kew but I'm not so sure one would be a good

idea
| in a public park these days, some little darling might prick

themselves.
| :-(

Oh, GOOD!

Isn't that how kids are supposed to learn? Do something stupid, feel pain.
Do something really, really stupid like playing chicken with train, feel
Charles Darwin's chainsaw of natural selection.

K 31-05-2007 01:11 PM

Unusual trees for a new park

Nick Maclaren writes

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:

| The Monkey Puzzle Tree is a favourite of mine too,

Until this thread I thought I was the only urgler who liked them!

|there is an excellent one
| just near the Orangery at Kew but I'm not so sure one would be a good idea
| in a public park these days, some little darling might prick themselves.
| :-(

Oh, GOOD! For sheer viciousness, our native barberry (Berberis vulgaris)
takes a lot of beating. It has spectacular yellow flowers in spring,
and equally spectacular, edible red berries in autumn. Its leaves are
edible, too.

Leeds have been planting Araucaria by the score :-)
In amongst pampas grass which is probably more vicious.

| I'll put it to the Council though with most of your other suggestions.

Taxodium distichum is also good,

Swamp cypress? Got one of those I grew from seed - very pretty at this
age. Wish it would grow 'knees' but I don't think it will.

as is Abies koreana (though a bit
slow growing).

But with cones when very young :-)
--
Kay

Nick Maclaren 31-05-2007 01:43 PM

Unusual trees for a new park

In article ,
K writes:

| Leeds have been planting Araucaria by the score :-)
| In amongst pampas grass which is probably more vicious.

Much. Pampas grass is actually dangerous - not enough to get excited
about, but enough to cause cuts that need surgery in an operating
theatre.

| | I'll put it to the Council though with most of your other suggestions.
|
| Taxodium distichum is also good,
|
| Swamp cypress? Got one of those I grew from seed - very pretty at this
| age. Wish it would grow 'knees' but I don't think it will.

Only when planted in a swamp. It doesn't need a swamp, but can
handle one.

| as is Abies koreana (though a bit
| slow growing).
|
| But with cones when very young :-)

From VERY young.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

K 31-05-2007 04:25 PM

Unusual trees for a new park

Nick Maclaren writes

| Taxodium distichum is also good,
|
| Swamp cypress? Got one of those I grew from seed - very pretty at this
| age. Wish it would grow 'knees' but I don't think it will.

Only when planted in a swamp.

It's got knees in one of the botanic gardens in Lisbon. Much less swampy
than my garden. Maybe there's hope yet ;-)

--
Kay

echinosum 31-05-2007 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Hobden (Post 717120)
The Monkey Puzzle Tree is a favourite of mine too, there is an excellent one just near the Orangery at Kew but I'm not so sure one would be a good idea in a public park these days, some little darling might prick themselves.
:-(

I also like Monkey Puzzles, but don't think of them as "unusual" any more, so many are seen in gardens these days.

If you do have them, please have several, not one. They are dioecious, and the pollen only travels a couple of hundred metres or so, so you are breaking their fundamental arboreal rights by keeping them in isolation. Also you can't sex them until they grow up, which takes decades, so you need a copse to be sure of having a mix of the sexes. The nuts, which are huge, are edible if cooked. Plant them reasonably spaced out. In 50 years, they will look daft unless they are at least 10m apart from each other. In the mean time, you can plant plenty of other smaller trees between them.

In nature, they often grow in mixed forests with Nothofagus dombeyi. So there is a good reason to grow some N dombeyi along with them. The mixed forest of these two species on the upper slopes of Volcán Villarrica in Chile is a wonder to behold: the trees (of both species) are enormous (many with trunks a good 2m in diameter), far bigger than any seen in this country, and very many must be several centuries old. We are very lucky they got protected before they were logged.

As they mature, there will no longer be any sharp bits lower down. You could put a livestock fence around them until they were established, though that would take some decades.

Bob Hobden 31-05-2007 05:46 PM

Unusual trees for a new park

"Nick Maclaren" wrote
| Taxodium distichum is also good,
|
| Swamp cypress? Got one of those I grew from seed - very pretty at this
| age. Wish it would grow 'knees' but I don't think it will.

Only when planted in a swamp. It doesn't need a swamp, but can
handle one.

The Council plan actually shows a boggy area so a Swamp Cypress would do
nicely. They are also improving another local Park with walkways because
it's always boggy with the slightest rain so it would be ideal at that site
too.

--
Regards
Bob H

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 31-05-2007 08:42 PM

Unusual trees for a new park

"K" wrote in message
Nick Maclaren writes

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:

| The Monkey Puzzle Tree is a favourite of mine too,

Until this thread I thought I was the only urgler who liked them!

|there is an excellent one
| just near the Orangery at Kew but I'm not so sure one would be a good
idea
| in a public park these days, some little darling might prick
themselves.
| :-(

Oh, GOOD! For sheer viciousness, our native barberry (Berberis vulgaris)
takes a lot of beating. It has spectacular yellow flowers in spring,
and equally spectacular, edible red berries in autumn. Its leaves are
edible, too.

Leeds have been planting Araucaria by the score :-)
In amongst pampas grass which is probably more vicious.

| I'll put it to the Council though with most of your other suggestions.

Taxodium distichum is also good,

Swamp cypress? Got one of those I grew from seed - very pretty at this
age. Wish it would grow 'knees' but I don't think it will.

as is Abies koreana (though a bit
slow growing).

But with cones when very young :-)
--
Kay

That's a cone when very young in my case, however after 10 years it now has
four. Those Araucaria on the bit by the Armley gyratory are excellent .
Planted very closely -perhaps that is supposed to limit the growth?
Very Yob proof- I wonder if it is possible to do a hedge:-)

K 31-05-2007 11:32 PM

Unusual trees for a new park

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

"K" wrote in message

Abies koreana

That's a cone when very young in my case, however after 10 years it now has
four.

Mine's never had fewer than 4, but it has missed out a year now and
again.
It might be the dwarf form - it's spent most of its life fighting a
Daboecia

Those Araucaria on the bit by the Armley gyratory are excellent .
Planted very closely -perhaps that is supposed to limit the growth?
Very Yob proof- I wonder if it is possible to do a hedge:-)

:-)

Have you seen the nice Araucaria in Otley, on the main road out to the
W, planted about 18in from the house?

--
Kay

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 01-06-2007 01:35 AM

Unusual trees for a new park

"K" wrote in message
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

"K" wrote in message

Abies koreana

That's a cone when very young in my case, however after 10 years it now
has
four.

Mine's never had fewer than 4, but it has missed out a year now and again.
It might be the dwarf form - it's spent most of its life fighting a
Daboecia

Those Araucaria on the bit by the Armley gyratory are excellent .
Planted very closely -perhaps that is supposed to limit the growth?
Very Yob proof- I wonder if it is possible to do a hedge:-)

:-)

Have you seen the nice Araucaria in Otley, on the main road out to the W,
planted about 18in from the house?

--
Kay

It makes me smile each time I see it. Another few years and those lower
branches might drop off and give them and their neighbours a clear view for
the first time in many decades. It must be a very loved and protected
tree:-)
There is a smaller (growing fast) example somewhere in Yeadon just near the
Park;-)

Nick Maclaren 01-06-2007 08:40 AM

Unusual trees for a new park

In article ,
K writes:
| "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes
|
| Abies koreana
|
| That's a cone when very young in my case, however after 10 years it now has
| four.
|
| Mine's never had fewer than 4, but it has missed out a year now and
| again.
| It might be the dwarf form - it's spent most of its life fighting a
| Daboecia

Mine started within a few years - at under 2', and has continued ever
since. It is now 15' or so.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

La Puce 01-06-2007 05:30 PM

Unusual trees for a new park

On 28 May, 18:56, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
Please feel free to comment about hardiness etc, add more suggestions, pick
the list to pieces. :-)

Just thought of the Parrotia persica (relative of the witch hazel).
Reaches colour zenith in October in coppery and orange blaze. Passed
9m branches often spread horizontally so looks like an enormous
brightly coloured umbrella. If only I had the room .... :o(