GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What's killing the fish?? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/159404-whats-killing-fish.html)

sfby 31-05-2007 01:37 PM

What's killing the fish??

A friend of mine has a fishpond & a couple of times a week he finds
one or two of his fish dead on the lawn with their heads bitten off.

Any idea what sort of predator he should be looking for? We assumed
that anything that would get the fish out of the pond would eat the
whole fish (e.g. heron or cat)

Thanks

Wane Smooth 31-05-2007 02:11 PM

What's killing the fish??

On 31 May 2007 05:37:37 -0700, sfby wrote:

A friend of mine has a fishpond & a couple of times a week he finds
one or two of his fish dead on the lawn with their heads bitten off.

Any idea what sort of predator he should be looking for? We assumed
that anything that would get the fish out of the pond would eat the
whole fish (e.g. heron or cat)

Thanks

Hi sfby I think cats are known for just eating heads.They do it with mice
as well.
--
Regards From
Wane Smooth

Help feed the Hungry,goto
http://www.thehungersite.com
It's Free!

BAC 31-05-2007 02:12 PM

What's killing the fish??

"sfby" wrote in message
ups.com...
A friend of mine has a fishpond & a couple of times a week he finds
one or two of his fish dead on the lawn with their heads bitten off.

Any idea what sort of predator he should be looking for? We assumed
that anything that would get the fish out of the pond would eat the
whole fish (e.g. heron or cat)

Thanks

If a heron succeeds in getting a fish out of the pond, it will usually
swallow it whole. If disturbed, it might cough it up, but still whole.

Mammalian predators which aren't particularly hungry will often leave part
of their 'kill', either for later consumption, or because they've taken the
part they donsider 'tastiest'. Domestic cats aren't normally starving,
because they are fed by their owners, and hunt, largely, for the sport of
it. It is quite common for cat owners to remark on the 'gifts' of unconsumed
or part consumed prey left by their feline companions. Once, for example, my
next door neighbour complained that the cat was in the habit of leaving
(dead) goldfish on her step, which she assumed must have come from my pond,
so would I mind netting it. She meant the pond, I think ...

So I suspect a cat is the most likely culprit.

Broadback 31-05-2007 03:03 PM

What's killing the fish??

BAC wrote:
"sfby" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

What was your reply BAC? Something witty and cutting I hope. ;-)

K 31-05-2007 04:26 PM

What's killing the fish??

Wane Smooth writes
On 31 May 2007 05:37:37 -0700, sfby wrote:

A friend of mine has a fishpond & a couple of times a week he finds
one or two of his fish dead on the lawn with their heads bitten off.

Any idea what sort of predator he should be looking for? We assumed
that anything that would get the fish out of the pond would eat the
whole fish (e.g. heron or cat)

Thanks

Hi sfby I think cats are known for just eating heads.They do it with mice
as well.

Really? The only remains we ever find are stomachs. And they totally
refuse mackerel etc heads.
--
Kay

BAC 31-05-2007 04:34 PM

What's killing the fish??

"Broadback" wrote in message
BAC wrote:
"sfby" wrote in message
ups.com...

snip

Mammalian predators which aren't particularly hungry will often leave
part of their 'kill', either for later consumption, or because they've
taken the part they donsider 'tastiest'. Domestic cats aren't normally
starving, because they are fed by their owners, and hunt, largely, for
the sport of it. It is quite common for cat owners to remark on the
'gifts' of unconsumed or part consumed prey left by their feline
companions. Once, for example, my next door neighbour complained that the
cat was in the habit of leaving (dead) goldfish on her step, which she
assumed must have come from my pond, so would I mind netting it. She
meant the pond, I think ...

So I suspect a cat is the most likely culprit.

What was your reply BAC? Something witty and cutting I hope. ;-)

Sorry to disappoint, but no, I left the retribution to my dog ...

BoyPete 01-06-2007 06:58 PM

What's killing the fish??

sfby wrote:
A friend of mine has a fishpond & a couple of times a week he finds
one or two of his fish dead on the lawn with their heads bitten off.

Any idea what sort of predator he should be looking for? We assumed
that anything that would get the fish out of the pond would eat the
whole fish (e.g. heron or cat)

Thanks

A cat is what first comes to mind. However, it depends on your local area to
some extent..........town/country etc.
Try posting here...........
http://www.forums.pondlife.eu/forum/index.php
and add some more local area detail. You'll also get good advice as to how
your beighbour can protect his pond from predators.
HTH :)
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

CWatters 04-06-2007 09:00 AM

What's killing the fish??

"sfby" wrote in message
ups.com...
A friend of mine has a fishpond & a couple of times a week he finds
one or two of his fish dead on the lawn with their heads bitten off.

Any idea what sort of predator he should be looking for? We assumed
that anything that would get the fish out of the pond would eat the
whole fish (e.g. heron or cat)

Time to set up a webcam or camcorder.