Old 02-06-2007, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Woodlice

I have a raised bed of strawberry plants - planted in slots in a porous
membrane which is weighted around the plants with pea gravel.

Although I try to keep the berries off the gravel by placing them over leaf
stalks, some are on the gravel/membrane: those are the ones the woodlice
eat!

Any ideas for getting rid of the woodlice please without anything nasty to
poison the strawberries.

Thanks

Geoff

Old 02-06-2007, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Geoff" writes:
| I have a raised bed of strawberry plants - planted in slots in a porous
| membrane which is weighted around the plants with pea gravel.
|
| Although I try to keep the berries off the gravel by placing them over leaf
| stalks, some are on the gravel/membrane: those are the ones the woodlice
| eat!
|
| Any ideas for getting rid of the woodlice please without anything nasty to
| poison the strawberries.

It would do you no good.

Woodlice don't attack undamaged strawberries, and you are merely finding
the ones that have followed on after slugs have made holes. Concentrate
on attacking the slugs.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren wrote:
: In article ,
: "Geoff" writes:
::: I have a raised bed of strawberry plants - planted in slots in a
::: porous membrane which is weighted around the plants with pea gravel.
:::
::: Although I try to keep the berries off the gravel by placing them
::: over leaf stalks, some are on the gravel/membrane: those are the
::: ones the woodlice eat!
:::
::: Any ideas for getting rid of the woodlice please without anything
::: nasty to poison the strawberries.
:
: It would do you no good.
:
: Woodlice don't attack undamaged strawberries, and you are merely
: finding the ones that have followed on after slugs have made holes.
: Concentrate on attacking the slugs.
:
:
: Regards,
: Nick Maclaren.

That's what I would have said too

Old 03-06-2007, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in message
Nick Maclaren wrote:
: In article ,
: "Geoff" writes:
[...]

I would have said it as well but I would have been much more witty.

Des in very very very wet Dublin (it's coming your way shortly)

Old 03-06-2007, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Des Higgins" writes:
| "Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in message
|
| That's what I would have said too
|
| I would have said it as well but I would have been much more witty.

Well, that's what comes from living in the land of blarney.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Woodlice in Pots les United Kingdom 32 09-05-2004 03:09 PM
Woodlice and now also earwigs More to Wiggle United Kingdom 11 02-07-2003 06:09 PM
Woodlice Adam Powell United Kingdom 2 01-07-2003 01:35 PM
Woodlice - good or bad? Sharon Hughes United Kingdom 8 08-06-2003 10:44 PM
Composters and Woodlice JP United Kingdom 1 16-03-2003 06:08 PM