Old 03-06-2007, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Small fruit tree

This sprouted from a stone in early spring. I thought it was an apricot
since I chucked the stones from eaten fruit into a trough last year. But
looking at the leaves, I'm not so sure. Looks more like a cherry. Any
ideas please?

*http://tinyurl.com/2jmckn*
Old 03-06-2007, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 3, 8:58 pm, Frank Booth Snr wrote:
This sprouted from a stone in early spring. I thought it was an apricot
since I chucked the stones from eaten fruit into a trough last year. But
looking at the leaves, I'm not so sure. Looks more like a cherry. Any
ideas please?

*http://tinyurl.com/2jmckn*

I have a cherry in my back garden and the leaves are very similar to
yours but I am certainly not an expert on trees so I am sure someone
else with more knowledge will be able to help you.

Judith

Old 03-06-2007, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Frank Booth Snr writes
This sprouted from a stone in early spring. I thought it was an apricot
since I chucked the stones from eaten fruit into a trough last year.
But looking at the leaves, I'm not so sure. Looks more like a cherry.
Any ideas please?

*http://tinyurl.com/2jmckn*

I think it's apricot. Doesn't seem right for a cherry - can't put my
finger on it. Nearest I can get is that cherry is a bit greener (this is
a bit greyish green), not as smooth (cherry has more narrowly spaced
veins), cherry has more definite serrations at the edge, and is a
slightly longer oval, and more symmetrical lengthwise - this has the
bulk of the leaf towards the stalk end.

It's a long time since I've looked at an apricot tree, but these leaves
wouldn't ring alarm bells if I saw them on an apricot.
--
Kay
Old 03-06-2007, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Frank Booth Snr" wrote ...
This sprouted from a stone in early spring. I thought it was an apricot
since I chucked the stones from eaten fruit into a trough last year. But
looking at the leaves, I'm not so sure. Looks more like a cherry. Any
ideas please?

*http://tinyurl.com/2jmckn*

That looks like leaves of the large Apricot tree on the next allotment to
mine.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 03-06-2007, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Frank Booth Snr" wrote ...

This sprouted from a stone in early spring. I thought it was an apricot
since I chucked the stones from eaten fruit into a trough last year. But
looking at the leaves, I'm not so sure. Looks more like a cherry. Any
ideas please?

*http://tinyurl.com/2jmckn*

That looks like leaves of the large Apricot tree on the next allotment to
mine.

Thanks everyone. Looked at some leaf images online and together with
your opinions it seems fairly conclusive

Old 04-06-2007, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 3, 11:09 pm, Frank Booth Snr wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Frank Booth Snr" wrote ...

This sprouted from a stone in early spring. I thought it was an apricot
since I chucked the stones from eaten fruit into a trough last year. But
looking at the leaves, I'm not so sure. Looks more like a cherry. Any
ideas please?

*http://tinyurl.com/2jmckn*

That looks like leaves of the large Apricot tree on the next allotment to
mine.

Thanks everyone. Looked at some leaf images online and together with
your opinions it seems fairly conclusive

It's just as well that Kay and Bob were around, though I did warn you
that I knew nothing about trees. However, I have learnt something
too, I brough it a leaf from the cherry and a leaf from a damson to
compare with the picture, and of course, I can now see the
difference. However, it is very like the damson leaf, are damsons the
same family?

Judith

Old 04-06-2007, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

" writes
On Jun 3, 11:09 pm, Frank Booth Snr wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Frank Booth Snr" wrote ...

[...]

Grin Most of the fruit we grow in the UK is the same family - they are
all in the rose family :-)

Rose family includes apples, pears, plums, damsons, apricots, medlars,
blackberries, raspberries, strawberries etc (as well as lots of our
ornamentals and wild flowers).

The key thing to look at is the flower - 5 petals, all separated at the
base (and other characteristics which Stewart will be able to tell you
but I can't) - if you look at a few, you will see the basic similarity.
And that the flower is very different from redcurrants, gooseberries,
rhubarb.

But within the Rose family, there are a large number of genera,
including Malus = apples and crab apples, Pyrus = pears, Rubus =
raspberries, blackberries etc,

And in particular, Prunus includes plums, damsons, greengages, bullaces,
cherry plums, cherries, sloes, apricot and peach. All things with a
stone. So you were right in spotting that similarity.

But almond is Amygdala - don't know why, because the fruit is very
peach-like - help, someone?

(That's the trouble with plants. The more you learn, the more questions
you find to ask)

--
Kay
Old 04-06-2007, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 4, 5:41 pm, K wrote:

Grin Most of the fruit we grow in the UK is the same family - they are
all in the rose family :-)

Big useful snip, thanks Kay, I am marginally wiser.

But almond is Amygdala - don't know why, because the fruit is very
peach-like - help, someone?

(That's the trouble with plants. The more you learn, the more questions
you find to ask)

The more I ask and the more I read here, the more convinced I become
that I know nothing at all but I am enjoying learning a little.

Judith

Old 04-06-2007, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:

[...]

Cherries, apricots, and almonds are not part of the Rosa genus. They
come under the Prunus genus, although they actually come under the
Rosacae family. I always think the genus is a much more accurate way of
identifying plants' common characteristics. the almond is a Prunus.
Amygdala is the Latin name for the bitter almond.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Frank Booth Snr writes

Cherries, apricots, and almonds are not part of the Rosa genus.

Was anyone suggesting they were? ;-)

They come under the Prunus genus,
although they actually come under the Rosacae family. I always think
the genus is a much more accurate way of identifying plants' common
characteristics.

Well, is should be, since it is a closer relationship than the family -
ie all plants of the family will share the defining characteristics of
the family, but within the family, there are sub groups of
characteristics which define the genus.

the almond is a Prunus.
Amygdala is the Latin name for the bitter almond.

OK - some googling - Almond - Prunus dulcis, syn Prunus amygdalus,
Amygdalus communis. I though bitter and sweet almonds were varieties of
the same species, rather than different species?
--
Kay

Old 05-06-2007, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:

Most of the fruit we grow in the UK is the same family - they are
all in the rose family :-)

Rose family includes apples, pears, plums, damsons, apricots, medlars,
blackberries, raspberries, strawberries etc (as well as lots of our
ornamentals and wild flowers). [...]

But within the Rose family, there are a large number of genera,
including Malus = apples and crab apples, Pyrus = pears, Rubus =
raspberries, blackberries etc,

And in particular, Prunus includes plums, damsons, greengages, bullaces,
cherry plums, cherries, sloes, apricot and peach. All things with a
stone. So you were right in spotting that similarity.

But almond is Amygdala - don't know why, because the fruit is very
peach-like - help, someone?

The taxonomy browser[*] places almonds in with plums, apricots
and peaches:

Eukaryota; Viridiplantae; Streptophyta; Streptophytina; Embryophyta;
Tracheophyta; Euphyllophyta; Spermatophyta; Magnoliophyta;
eudicotyledons; core eudicotyledons; rosids; eurosids I; Rosales;
Rosaceae; Amygdaloideae; Prunus
[*] http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Taxonomy/Browser/wwwtax.cgi
--
__________
Old 05-06-2007, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:
Frank Booth Snr writes

Cherries, apricots, and almonds are not part of the Rosa genus.

Was anyone suggesting they were? ;-)

Me.

They come under the Prunus genus,
although they actually come under the Rosacae family. I always think
the genus is a much more accurate way of identifying plants' common
characteristics.

Well, is should be, since it is a closer relationship than the family -
ie all plants of the family will share the defining characteristics of
the family, but within the family, there are sub groups of
characteristics which define the genus.

the almond is a Prunus.
Amygdala is the Latin name for the bitter almond.

OK - some googling - Almond - Prunus dulcis, syn Prunus amygdalus,
Amygdalus communis. I though bitter and sweet almonds were varieties of
the same species, rather than different species?

I suspect they are part of the same family :-)
Old 05-06-2007, 08:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Tim Tyler writes
K wrote:

Most of the fruit we grow in the UK is the same family - they are
all in the rose family :-)
Rose family includes apples, pears, plums, damsons, apricots,
medlars, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries etc (as well as lots
our ornamentals and wild flowers). [...]
But within the Rose family, there are a large number of genera,
including Malus = apples and crab apples, Pyrus = pears, Rubus =
raspberries, blackberries etc,
And in particular, Prunus includes plums, damsons, greengages,
bullaces, cherry plums, cherries, sloes, apricot and peach. All
things with a stone. So you were right in spotting that similarity.
But almond is Amygdala - don't know why, because the fruit is very
peach-like - help, someone?

The taxonomy browser[*] places almonds in with plums, apricots
and peaches:

That makes me feel much happier :-)

thanks for the link
--
Kay
Old 10-06-2007, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
" writes
On Jun 3, 11:09 pm, Frank Booth Snr wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Frank Booth Snr" wrote ...

[...]

I nearly missed my name being invoked, between being away for a few
days, and not reading every thread on the froup.

You're perhaps overconfident in my knowledge. However ...

It's hard to find characters that apply universally within big groups of
plants such as Rosaceae (for example, neglecting double flowered plants,
Potentilla erecta has 4 petals, Potentilla erecta 4 or 5, and Dryas
octapetala 8). However in the flowers of rosaceous plants usually have a
hypanthium, a disclike structure to the edge of which the petals and
stamens are attached (unlike, for example, mallows, where the they are
attached directly to the flower stalk). Stace also mentions that the
sepals are commonly attached to the hypanthium as well, and that there
are 5 sepals, also separated at the base. The ovary is often inferior -
hence the remains of the calyx found at end of the fruit opposite to the
stalk is roses, and in the subfamily Maloideae (apples, pears, thorns,
firethorns, rowans, cotoneasters, medlars, etc), and perhaps others.
Each carpel has a separate style, so there are usually multiple styles,
but Prunus has reduced the number of carpels to 1.

But within the Rose family, there are a large number of genera,
including Malus = apples and crab apples, Pyrus = pears, Rubus =
raspberries, blackberries etc,

And in particular, Prunus includes plums, damsons, greengages,
bullaces, cherry plums, cherries, sloes, apricot and peach. All things
with a stone. So you were right in spotting that similarity.

Also cherry laurels and Portuguese laurels.

But almond is Amygdala - don't know why, because the fruit is very
peach-like - help, someone?

Almond is usually Prunus dulcis. Anybody who chops Prunus into pieces is
likely is likely to put peaches and apricots in Amygdalus with almonds.

(That's the trouble with plants. The more you learn, the more questions
you find to ask)

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley