GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   When garden styles collide (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/159580-when-garden-styles-collide.html)

Robert[_3_] 04-06-2007 10:24 PM

When garden styles collide

We returned home today from a couple of days away to find that the
neighbours whose property runs across the bottom of our garden had
kindly tidied up the bottom of our garden.

The tidying up consisted of cutting down to ground level part of an old
hawthorn hedge about 1.5 metres high with ivy growing up through it,
some holly and pyracantha, all adjacent to but on our side of the
boundary wall and an area of mature nettles about 1.5 x 2 metres that
was well over a metre from the boundary. When asked about this kind act
they explained that they did not like nettles and the untidy area and
that it should be all right for us as we had another hedge which
separated this part of our garden from our property and we would not see
it. The fact that they had placed a 2 metre fence between our
properties seemed to have escaped them. Admittedly the level of our
garden is about .6/.7 metre higher than their garden so it is possible
that they may have been able to have seen the tops of the nettles.

They do have an absolutely immaculate modern instant garden which is all
grey painted fence panels, different paving styles and hard landscaping
in the style of Dairmuid Gavin. Not our style at all (we are busy
turning much of our rear garden into a wildlife garden) but we do not
publicly question their wish to create a garden style which they find
pleasing. When I explained what we were trying to achieve they said 'I
suppose that means more nettles and brambles', 'you are being lazy' and
'flies come from your garden - why don't you take your grass cuttings to
the council tip'.

The strange thing is that there have been no disagreements between us in
the relatively short time since they took the property over - we
actually helped them when they wanted an old, dead stump of a Turkey oak
removed (shame really as it is where the Tawny owl used to frequently
park itself).

I have explained to them that they may not enter our garden again - they
are welcome to cut back any foliage that hangs over the boundary but
entering our garden to 'tidy up' the bits they do not like is definitely
out and that if we wish to allow nettles to grow to attract Red Admiral
and Comma butterflies then that really is up to us.

I imagine that we could probably take some sort of action against them
for the 'tidying up' but I think that would be completely OTT and as I
am sure that our displeasure at this occurrence was very evident they
will not repeat their act of 'It took me nearly all day and we thought
that we were being helpful'.

Perhaps the TV sanitised garden programmes have something to answer for
(or are we just being old fashioned)?

--
Robert

reg 04-06-2007 11:35 PM

When garden styles collide

"Robert" wrote in message

[...]

good on you, your not being old fashioned, your right in saying TV sanitised
garden programmes have something to answer for, with houses being knocked
down & being replaced with flats, gardens are disappearing along with all
the wildlife. i wish more people would set a piece of garden aside to
attract the wildlife, i have to be honest i cant remember the last time i
saw a hedgehog !!

shazzbat 05-06-2007 12:10 AM

When garden styles collide

"reg" wrote in message ...

"Robert" wrote in message

[...]

I think it's fairly safe to say 99% of us are with you on this one. And I
must say I salute your restraint. I would have been spitting blood if they'd
come in my garden and done that. I think they have committed both trespass
and criminal damage, but I'm not a lawyer.

Steve

George.com 05-06-2007 02:59 AM

When garden styles collide

"Robert" wrote in message

[...]

I commend you for your principled apparoach to handling this. Outwardly calm
and laying down further instructions about how things will happen without
losing your rag. It also allows you to maintain a positive relationship with
your neighbours.

Now, that aside, you need to consider pay back and revenge for the damage
done. Forget ranting & raving or legal action. You can achieve it without
them suspecting whilst still enjoying their misfortune. Things I may
recommend include seeding their nice new 'perfect' instant garden with an
invasive weed such as thistle, dandelion or wandering jew. Arrange a manner
of dispensing the seed to the most appropriate place in their garden without
them suspecting you. Another way may be a glyphosate 'bomb' strategically
directed on to a prize plant one evening. Ensure the delivery mechanism
won't be discovered. Google 'seed bomb' or 'seed grenade'.

Best of luck.
Rob

Kate Morgan 05-06-2007 08:08 AM

When garden styles collide

snip
Perhaps the TV sanitised garden programmes have something to answer for
(or are we just being old fashioned)?

I think it's fairly safe to say 99% of us are with you on this one. And I
must say I salute your restraint. I would have been spitting blood if
they'd come in my garden and done that. I think they have committed both
trespass and criminal damage, but I'm not a lawyer.

Steve

I am with Steve on this one and I too think that you have behaved in a way
I would have found impossible, how dare they do this to your garden, I would
have been in there fighting. Hope that you manage to get it all sorted
without too many more problems

hurrah for old fashioned nettles etc.

kate

Alan Johnson 05-06-2007 08:16 AM

When garden styles collide

Robert wrote:

(or are we just being old fashioned)?

Yes, you probably are old-fashioned, possibly an old-fashioned
gentleman? I would have thrown an utter and complete, extremely
unsightly wobbly.

Regards

--
Alan Johnson, Geotr@ns
www.geotrans-online.de

Les Hemmings 05-06-2007 10:24 AM

When garden styles collide

Robert wrote:
We returned home today from a couple of days away to find that the
neighbours whose property runs across the bottom of our garden had
kindly tidied up the bottom of our garden.

I would have absolutely freaked! They wouldn't have known what hit them.
Trespass, criminal damage charges. Police immediately after I had finished
calling them all the names under the sun.

How dare they!!!!

Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

"These people believe the souls of fried space aliens inhabit their
bodies and hold soup cans to get rid of them. I should care what they
think?"...Valerie Emmanuel

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Les Hemmings 05-06-2007 10:59 AM

When garden styles collide

George.com wrote:

Now, that aside, you need to consider pay back and revenge for the
damage done. Forget ranting & raving or legal action. You can achieve
it without them suspecting whilst still enjoying their misfortune.
Things I may recommend include seeding their nice new 'perfect'
instant garden with an invasive weed such as thistle, dandelion or
wandering jew. Arrange a manner of dispensing the seed to the most
appropriate place in their garden without them suspecting you.
Another way may be a glyphosate 'bomb' strategically directed on to a
prize plant one evening. Ensure the delivery mechanism won't be
discovered. Google 'seed bomb' or 'seed grenade'.

Best of luck.
Rob

Japenese Knot weed?

Kate Morgan 05-06-2007 11:59 AM

When garden styles collide

We returned home today from a couple of days away to find that the
neighbours whose property runs across the bottom of our garden had
kindly tidied up the bottom of our garden.

Roberts post has caused a mild but simmering domestic between me and my
husband, he says he would have done the same as Roberts neighbours if he
thought that he was helping - he is a bit of a Peter Perfect - I could not
believe what he was saying, under no circumstances should they have gone
into your garden Robert says she stomping up the garden muttering

angry kate

La Puce 05-06-2007 12:15 PM

When garden styles collide

On 4 Jun, 22:24, Robert wrote:
We returned home today from a couple of days away to find that the
neighbours whose property runs across the bottom of our garden had
kindly tidied up the bottom of our garden.

(snip nightmare tale)

Perhaps the TV sanitised garden programmes have something to answer for
(or are we just being old fashioned)?

Robert, your tale upseted me so, my heart sank for you. I cannot
imagine how calm and paused you've been. I would have totally
exploded!!! This is something I see on a regular basis and the only
thing we can do is stand up to this kind of savage approach to our
beloved wild gardens. If I can be of some reassurance to you, this
behaviour stems from naivety but also our over hygienic society
indeed. Like you I beleive very much that those TV programmes have
something to do with it - that instant garden make over with no
patience and feelings of seasons, orientations, soil knowledge etc.
but also the talk of chemicals use, again and again, with no
consideration of consequences, when with patience a simple natural
balance can be acheived. The 80s have a lot to answer for our designs
but also the 50s for all chemical use. However, many of us are now
united in our approach to wild garden and its benefits and that is not
only with gardeners but designers as well.

I deal with it constantly because I help maintain a few small urban
gardens, and I often find myself having to explain that they can't
have it both way - they want the wild and colourful appearance of a
garden but won't accept the plants which make it so nor the bugs
attracted to it. I had to remove 3 lavenders because of bees, in case
little Jimmy gets bitten ...! Through my designs I always add a wild
area, usually from an exsisting patch where I see an abondance of bugs
and the attractive plants. I have never have to 'create' a wild area,
however small the garden is. And I've made myself a promise that once
I do get into designing for real clients, I will turn out work asking
me for a modern style garden with no bugs, no smell, no life, no
weeds. Because that is simply not a garden.

Robert[_3_] 05-06-2007 12:17 PM

When garden styles collide

In message , Alan Johnson
writes
Robert wrote:

(or are we just being old fashioned)?

Yes, you probably are old-fashioned, possibly an old-fashioned
gentleman? I would have thrown an utter and complete, extremely
unsightly wobbly.

Regards

If only I was an old-fashioned gentleman (I may be old-fashioned but I
do not think that I could aspire to being a gentleman). Please bear in
mind that by the time I posted to urg I had cooled down considerably -
perhaps I should have used capitals in my text to indicate where things
got rather heated.

I do admit that lost my cool somewhat when the neighbours opening gambit
was 'what's the problem' in a somewhat aggressive manner and when I was
accused of being lazy and taking advantage of the previous elderly
occupant of their property by allowing our hedge to become a mess, I did
go ballistic. I did, however retain sufficient control to advise them
clearly of what they may and may not do.

I am most upset/annoyed about the chunk of hawthorn hedge they cut down
- I do appreciate that it was not and never could be a neatly trimmed
hedge, hawthorn does not do neat, but they had placed 2 metre fence
panels in front of it so that only about 30 cms would have been visible
from their side.

--
Robert

Broadback 05-06-2007 12:25 PM

When garden styles collide

Les Hemmings wrote:
George.com wrote:
Now, that aside, you need to consider pay back and revenge for the
damage done. Forget ranting & raving or legal action. You can achieve
it without them suspecting whilst still enjoying their misfortune.
Things I may recommend include seeding their nice new 'perfect'
instant garden with an invasive weed such as thistle, dandelion or
wandering jew. Arrange a manner of dispensing the seed to the most
appropriate place in their garden without them suspecting you.
Another way may be a glyphosate 'bomb' strategically directed on to a
prize plant one evening. Ensure the delivery mechanism won't be
discovered. Google 'seed bomb' or 'seed grenade'.

Best of luck.
Rob

Japenese Knot weed?

Ah, but might it not strike back, I doubt that would recognise property
boundaries either.

Robert[_3_] 05-06-2007 12:25 PM

When garden styles collide

In message , George.com
writes

"Robert" wrote in message

[...]

As for me being outwardly calm please see my response to Alan Johnson.

Many thanks for the revenge ideas. I do not think I could glyphosate a
plant or, as another poster suggests, use Japanese Knotweed (I think
that the latter would be like using nuclear weapons to enforce a parking
fine :) but when our wildflowers produce seed later this year it could
be an opportunity to enlighten others as to the benefits of wildlife
friendly gardening.

--
Robert

JennyC 05-06-2007 12:35 PM

When garden styles collide

"Robert" wrote in message

We returned home today from a couple of days away to find that the
neighbours whose property runs across the bottom of our garden had kindly
tidied up the bottom of our garden.

snipped

How dare they !!!!!!!!
You must be a saint to have responded as you did!

I would ask them for compensation money and go out and buy new hedgerow
shrubs etc and re-plant !

Jenny

Sacha 05-06-2007 12:55 PM

When garden styles collide

On 5/6/07 12:25, in article , "Robert"
wrote:

In message , George.com
writes

"Robert" wrote in message

We returned home today from a couple of days away to find that the
neighbours whose property runs across the bottom of our garden had
kindly tidied up the bottom of our garden.

snip

As for me being outwardly calm please see my response to Alan Johnson.

Many thanks for the revenge ideas. I do not think I could glyphosate a
plant or, as another poster suggests, use Japanese Knotweed (I think
that the latter would be like using nuclear weapons to enforce a parking
fine :) but when our wildflowers produce seed later this year it could
be an opportunity to enlighten others as to the benefits of wildlife
friendly gardening.

They might as well go into your house in your absence and rearrange the
furniture. What a truly appalling thing to do. May I suggest that you
plant Eupatoriums because butterflies absolutely adore them and they will be
covered in these lovely insects. Perhaps then your neighbours will start to
see the benefit of wildlife friendly gardening.
Any more arguments and you could always tell them that you loathe and
despise their ugly attempts at gardening and that their garden is an offence
to nature and your sight. ;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk