GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hardiness question. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/159806-hardiness-question.html)

Rhiannon S 08-06-2007 07:55 PM

Hardiness question.

Hi all, sorry to bother you guys again.

I was wondering if any of you guys could possibly shed light on the
hardiness of a couple of plants. I was looking at rudbeckia occidentalis
"green wizard" and a Cardoon in various places online and off. Depending on
where you seem to be shopping, both of these have been marked as hardy
perenniels, tender perenniels, half hardy-perenniels, or even half hardy
annuals, I was wondering if anyone here had any first hand knowledge of
these plants as it's now getting a tad confusing?

--
Rhiannon_s
Due to it's large carbon footprint the light at the end of the tunnel has

Nick Maclaren 08-06-2007 08:56 PM

Hardiness question.

In article ,
"Rhiannon S" writes:
| Hi all, sorry to bother you guys again.

That's what's this newsgroup's for :-)

| I was wondering if any of you guys could possibly shed light on the
| hardiness of a couple of plants. I was looking at rudbeckia occidentalis
| "green wizard" and a Cardoon in various places online and off. Depending on
| where you seem to be shopping, both of these have been marked as hardy
| perenniels, tender perenniels, half hardy-perenniels, or even half hardy
| annuals, I was wondering if anyone here had any first hand knowledge of
| these plants as it's now getting a tad confusing?

Cardoon is hardy in most of the UK, at least with modern mild winters.
I grew it, as a vegetable, and compared it unfavourably with repulsant
snozzcombers.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Chris S 09-06-2007 01:01 AM

Hardiness question.

"Rhiannon S" wrote in message
Hi all, sorry to bother you guys again.

I was wondering if any of you guys could possibly shed light on the
hardiness of a couple of plants. I was looking at rudbeckia occidentalis
"green wizard" and a Cardoon in various places online and off. Depending
on
where you seem to be shopping, both of these have been marked as hardy
perenniels, tender perenniels, half hardy-perenniels, or even half hardy
annuals, I was wondering if anyone here had any first hand knowledge of
these plants as it's now getting a tad confusing?

--
Rhiannon_s
Due to it's large carbon footprint the light at the end of the tunnel has
been turned off.

Hi,
Cardoons are hardy in Aberdeen - I have had one grow outside for 4 - 5
years now.

Chris S

Rhiannon S 09-06-2007 02:53 PM

Hardiness question.

"Chris S" wrote in message

"Rhiannon S" wrote in message
[...]

[cardoon]
Thanks, I guess if it can survive in Aberdeen then it's probably pretty
hardy:o)

Rhiannon S 09-06-2007 02:55 PM

Hardiness question.

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Rhiannon S" writes:
| Hi all, sorry to bother you guys again.

That's what's this newsgroup's for :-)
| I was wondering if any of you guys could possibly shed light on the
| hardiness of a couple of plants. I was looking at rudbeckia

occidentalis
| "green wizard" and a Cardoon in various places online and off.

Depending on
| where you seem to be shopping, both of these have been marked as hardy
| perenniels, tender perenniels, half hardy-perenniels, or even half

hardy
| annuals, I was wondering if anyone here had any first hand knowledge of
| these plants as it's now getting a tad confusing?

Cardoon is hardy in most of the UK, at least with modern mild winters.
I grew it, as a vegetable, and compared it unfavourably with repulsant
snozzcombers.

I was looking at it as more of a decorative plant than a veg, I mean if the
Shrub does start a nuclear war it may be worth having, but until then just
as a decorative plant. I know the Victorians grew it as a veg, but y'know,
those vitorians, always smoking something.

At least I know that cardoon's are hardy.

Nick Maclaren 09-06-2007 03:04 PM

Hardiness question.

In article ,
"Rhiannon S" writes:

| I was looking at it as more of a decorative plant than a veg, I mean if the
| Shrub does start a nuclear war it may be worth having, but until then just
| as a decorative plant. I know the Victorians grew it as a veg, but y'know,
| those vitorians, always smoking something.

Very wise of you. I will try most things once. With some things,
that is once too often.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Kate Morgan 10-06-2007 10:41 AM

Hardiness question.

snip
.. I will try most things once. With some things,
that is once too often.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

That made me laugh Nick, are you an Aries ? my motto is - it seemed like a
good idea at the time :-)

kate

echinosum 11-06-2007 09:42 AM

[quote=Rhiannon S;719632]Hi all, sorry to bother you guys again.

I was wondering if any of you guys could possibly shed light on the
hardiness of a couple of plants. I was looking at rudbeckia occidentalis
"green wizard" [quote]
I have Rudbeckia "green wizard" on high ground on the chiltern plateau, and it grows fine.