Old 10-06-2007, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default (unprecedented) trouble with biting insects and/or solutions?

I've never been one to attract biters, or for the bites to become a problem.
Last couple of weeks however, I've been bitten unmercilessly (in the garden
during daytime), and the bites have all become swollen and infected. A
couple of them have a bright red centre bigger than a 50p, and swelling
around them.

I haven't seen anything crawling on me, but I can rule out fleas and ticks.
Mossies would be my first guess, but I've never had a reaction to them
before.

This is the first time I've ever had any problems with insects, is anyone
aware of any recent issues with them that may cause this all of a sudden?

Any tips on keeping them out of the garden (or away from me!) would be
appreciated, too. I don't have stagnant water and most of the garden is
patioed.

Old 10-06-2007, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Try this - neem is also apparently used as an organic, natural plant
insecticide and fungicide.
http://www.neemco.co.uk/shop/insectrepellent

Barb

Old 10-06-2007, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mentalguy2004" wrote ...
I've never been one to attract biters, or for the bites to become a
problem. Last couple of weeks however, I've been bitten unmercilessly (in
the garden during daytime), and the bites have all become swollen and
infected. A couple of them have a bright red centre bigger than a 50p, and
swelling around them.

I haven't seen anything crawling on me, but I can rule out fleas and
ticks. Mossies would be my first guess, but I've never had a reaction to
them before.

This is the first time I've ever had any problems with insects, is anyone
aware of any recent issues with them that may cause this all of a sudden?

Any tips on keeping them out of the garden (or away from me!) would be
appreciated, too. I don't have stagnant water and most of the garden is
patioed.

Sounds like it could be Horse Flies or Clegs to me...did you find a little
blood where it bit?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse-fly
I get bitten at least once or twice every year and have already had one on
the wrist so far that was painful, as you say, for a week or two and it's
left a nasty little scar.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 10-06-2007, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 13:50:27 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Sounds like it could be Horse Flies or Clegs to me...did you find a little
blood where it bit?

I can't imagine anyone not noticing a cleg biting. Some of the types
are quite big and the bite can hurt like hell. I suppose the small
ones could sneak a chunk of flesh while one is sleeping in the garden.

The nastiest cleg bite I have had resulted in an allergic reaction
that caused a big red zit to come up every summer for ten years.

Steve

Old 10-06-2007, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Sounds like it could be Horse Flies or Clegs to me...did you find a little
blood where it bit?

I can't imagine anyone not noticing a cleg biting. Some of the types
are quite big and the bite can hurt like hell. I suppose the small
ones could sneak a chunk of flesh while one is sleeping in the garden.

The nastiest cleg bite I have had resulted in an allergic reaction
that caused a big red zit to come up every summer for ten years.

Steve

I got bitten while working in the garden, but I haven't even seen an insect
on me. Whatever it was, it was very sneaky about it. It got my ankles,
knees, forehead and hands without me even noticing until an hour afterwards
when they swelled and itched.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 10:20:18 +0000, mentalguy2004 wrote:

I've never been one to attract biters, or for the bites to become a
problem. Last couple of weeks however, I've been bitten unmercilessly (in
the garden during daytime), and the bites have all become swollen and
infected. A couple of them have a bright red centre bigger than a 50p, and
swelling around them.

I haven't seen anything crawling on me, but I can rule out fleas and
ticks. Mossies would be my first guess, but I've never had a reaction to
them before.

This is the first time I've ever had any problems with insects, is anyone
aware of any recent issues with them that may cause this all of a sudden?

Any tips on keeping them out of the garden (or away from me!) would be
appreciated, too. I don't have stagnant water and most of the garden is
patioed.

Eat some garlic (raw) - they leave you alone then and besides it'll do you
good, its great at keeping colds at bay as well.

--
___ _______ ___ ___ ___ __ ____
/ _ \/ __/ _ | / _ \ / _ \/ _ |/ / / / /

Old 11-06-2007, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 15:27:15 GMT, "mentalguy2004"
wrote:

I got bitten while working in the garden, but I haven't even seen an insect
on me. Whatever it was, it was very sneaky about it. It got my ankles,
knees, forehead and hands without me even noticing until an hour afterwards
when they swelled and itched.

Are you sure it's an insect and not some sort of allergic rash to
something you've come in contact with in the garden? Several plants
have sap known to cause allergic reactions in some people, such as
euphorbia, ruta (rue) and giant hogweed. A strimmer can splash sap all
over the place.

--
Chris