Old 12-06-2007, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Battery powered sprayers - any good?

One of the fence panel paint sellers are now doing a bottle of paint
complete with a battery powered sprayer included.
The same or similar type sprayers are advertised every week in the Daily
Telegraph for around £10 inc post.

I'm tempted, just to see if they are any good - certainly spraying the
fence with creosote would be better than splashing it everywhere with a
big paintbrush.

Has anyone tried one, and is it worth the punt for £10?
Thanks
Alan.
Old 13-06-2007, 12:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , A.Lee
wrote

I'm tempted, just to see if they are any good - certainly spraying the
fence with creosote would be better than splashing it everywhere with a
big paintbrush.

It doesn't splash so much if you mix it 50:50 with old engine oil. The
oil will make the fence last 10 times longer and you would be doing your
bit for recycling.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old 13-06-2007, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"A.Lee" wrote in message
One of the fence panel paint sellers are now doing a bottle of paint
complete with a battery powered sprayer included.
The same or similar type sprayers are advertised every week in the Daily
Telegraph for around £10 inc post.

I'm tempted, just to see if they are any good - certainly spraying the
fence with creosote would be better than splashing it everywhere with a
big paintbrush.

Has anyone tried one, and is it worth the punt for £10?
Thanks
Alan.

I've just used a hand sprayer to colour a fence panel and it was a complete
nightmare. Lots of spray drift and several plants covered in paint.
I guess they are good for a quick coverage on a panel that has yet to be
erected or on a fence that has nothing within 6 feet.

Old 13-06-2007, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 13, 4:53 pm, "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)"
wrote:

I've just used a hand sprayer to colour a fence panel and it was a complete
nightmare. Lots of spray drift and several plants covered in paint.
I guess they are good for a quick coverage on a panel that has yet to be
erected or on a fence that has nothing within 6 feet.

Hi Rupe, I bought an electric one, not for fences, although that was
what it is intended for, but to paint furniture; I have gone made on
painting the garden room furniture eggshell! It works a treat, it was
a nightmare to get the right thickness but once I got the hang of it,
it was quick and easy, I would recommend buying one.

Judith

Old 14-06-2007, 07:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

oups.com...
wrote:

I've just used a hand sprayer to colour a fence panel and it was a
complete
nightmare. Lots of spray drift and several plants covered in paint.
I guess they are good for a quick coverage on a panel that has yet to be
erected or on a fence that has nothing within 6 feet.

Hi Rupe, I bought an electric one, not for fences, although that was
what it is intended for, but to paint furniture; I have gone made on
painting the garden room furniture eggshell! It works a treat, it was
a nightmare to get the right thickness but once I got the hang of it,
it was quick and easy, I would recommend buying one.

Judith

Agreed they have their uses and can be quite effective under the right
conditions. Egg Shell??--is that the 1950's term for what is now called
Satin:-) You will be stripping it all off in a few years time when fashion
changes.

Old 15-06-2007, 10:09 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Lee View Post
One of the fence panel paint sellers are now doing a bottle of paint
complete with a battery powered sprayer included.
The same or similar type sprayers are advertised every week in the Daily
Telegraph for around £10 inc post.

I'm tempted, just to see if they are any good - certainly spraying the
fence with creosote would be better than splashing it everywhere with a
big paintbrush.

Has anyone tried one, and is it worth the punt for £10?
Thanks
Alan.
These battery sprayers are for use with waterbased fence coatings from Ronseal and Cuprinol. They work fine on those kinds of products but should not be used on creasote. In fact these days there are far better products about than that smelly stuff.

When using the sprayers just be careful about overspray when approaching the top of a fence. Ive known people on another forum play hell over paint droplets on their windows from next door