Old 14-06-2007, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default first raspberries picked

Yesterday I picked my first raspberries, a few All Gold and Autumn
Bliss(*) - the earliest I can remember. There was even one Tayberry ripe
too.

Jim

* - I leave a few (mainly-)unfruited canes when I prune down my autumn
fruiting raspberries in January. They alsways seem to come earlier than my
summer varieties, but not previously this early.

Old 14-06-2007, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jim Jackson" wrote in message
Yesterday I picked my first raspberries, a few All Gold and Autumn
Bliss(*) - the earliest I can remember. There was even one Tayberry ripe
too.

Jim

* - I leave a few (mainly-)unfruited canes when I prune down my autumn
fruiting raspberries in January. They alsways seem to come earlier than my
summer varieties, but not previously this early.

Where are you? Only a few of ours have finished flowering!

Mary

Old 14-06-2007, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

"Jim Jackson" wrote in message
Yesterday I picked my first raspberries, a few All Gold and Autumn
Bliss(*) - the earliest I can remember. There was even one Tayberry ripe
too.

By coincidence, my daughter also picked her first raspberries of the year
yesterday.

Old 14-06-2007, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jim Jackson wrote:
Yesterday I picked my first raspberries, a few All Gold and Autumn
Bliss(*) - the earliest I can remember. There was even one Tayberry ripe
too.

Jim

* - I leave a few (mainly-)unfruited canes when I prune down my autumn
fruiting raspberries in January. They alsways seem to come earlier than my
summer varieties, but not previously this early.

Here in north Germany we picked our first at the weekend.

Regards

--
Alan Johnson, Geotr@ns
www.geotrans-online.de
Old 14-06-2007, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jim Jackson" wrote in message
: Yesterday I picked my first raspberries, a few All Gold and Autumn
: Bliss(*) - the earliest I can remember. There was even one Tayberry ripe
: too.
:
: Jim
:
: * - I leave a few (mainly-)unfruited canes when I prune down my autumn
: fruiting raspberries in January. They alsways seem to come earlier than my
: summer varieties, but not previously this early.
:

Picked our first, early last week . The loganberries are also rpening well
before they should

Old 14-06-2007, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 14, 10:19 am, (Jim Jackson) wrote:
Yesterday I picked my first raspberries, a few All Gold and Autumn
Bliss(*) - the earliest I can remember. There was even one Tayberry ripe
too.

Jim

* - I leave a few (mainly-)unfruited canes when I prune down my autumn
fruiting raspberries in January. They alsways seem to come earlier than my
summer varieties, but not previously this early.

My summer fruiting raspberries are about to turn colour, and there is
a bumper crop there, if the birds give us a chance.
I have given up on netting, because too many birds got caught into the
net. I am thinking of trying the Tom Jones Greatest Hits Method which
works so well for brassicas and pigeons, to see if that discourages
the birds.

Cat(h)

Old 14-06-2007, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 Cat(h) wrote:

Yesterday I picked my first raspberries, a few All Gold and Autumn
Bliss(*) - the earliest I can remember. There was even one Tayberry ripe
too.

My summer fruiting raspberries are about to turn colour, and there is
a bumper crop there, if the birds give us a chance.
I have given up on netting, because too many birds got caught into the
net. I am thinking of trying the Tom Jones Greatest Hits Method which
works so well for brassicas and pigeons, to see if that discourages
the birds.

Sorry to pee on everyone's firework but I started picking a fortnight
ago and I'm well into the raspberry harvest.

Makes a welcome change from rhubarb!

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old 14-06-2007, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Jim Jackson writes
Yesterday I picked my first raspberries, a few All Gold and Autumn
Bliss(*) - the earliest I can remember. There was even one Tayberry ripe
too.

Jim

* - I leave a few (mainly-)unfruited canes when I prune down my autumn
fruiting raspberries in January. They alsways seem to come earlier than my
summer varieties, but not previously this early.

Picked tayberries in June in about 1992 when they were newly planted,
but they since have got the hang of the climate and have never been so
early before.

I'm just picking the first alpine strawberries, french beans and
courgettes
--
Kay
Old 15-06-2007, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jim Jackson" wrote in message
Yesterday I picked my first raspberries, a few All Gold and Autumn
Bliss(*) - the earliest I can remember. There was even one Tayberry ripe
too.

Got two(!) yesterday off my canes in Cambridgeshire near Ely.

All the remainder look like they have at least another week to go before
they'll be ready.

--
Brian

Old 15-06-2007, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Jim Jackson" wrote in message
Yesterday I picked my first raspberries, a few All Gold and Autumn
Bliss(*) - the earliest I can remember. There was even one Tayberry ripe
too.

Jim

* - I leave a few (mainly-)unfruited canes when I prune down my autumn
fruiting raspberries in January. They alsways seem to come earlier than my
summer varieties, but not previously this early.

Where are you? Only a few of ours have finished flowering!

East Ardsley, near Wakefield.
Old 16-06-2007, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mary Fisher wrote:

Where are you? Only a few of ours have finished flowering!

East Ardsley, near Wakefield.

Ah yes, of course.

So why are you more favoured?

Hrumph!