Old 17-06-2007, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cats in garden

The message
from Broadback contains these words:

Bazza wrote:
Peter James wrote:
Bazza wrote:

BoyPete wrote: Bazza wrote: Hi all, I encourage wildlife
into my garden which is visited and nested by Birds, squirrels,
Fox's,badgers,frogs,toads, newts and the occasional sloworm and
grassnake, I also have an aviary with Cockatiels. All nice and
cosy apart from 2 large black cats, these have collars and look
well fed so I assume they are from some where down the street. They
crap in the garden, have caught collared doves and the other birds
and eat the food I put out for the Badgers and Fox's not to mention
trying to terrorise my cockatiels. I have been looking for ways to
discourage them without harming the rest of the wildlife. I
don't want a dog or a cat, don't spend enough time at home to do
them justice. I have looked at sensor watering systems etc.. but
have come across this one: http://tinyurl.com/2evhnr.
Anybody any experience of this or similar? I am a
pretty good shot and lots of patience so quite fancy it
Bazza
Can't get your link to work Bazza. However, look at this........
http://www.bradshawsdirect.co.uk/Bra...uct/DVSCAR.htm

Yes seen that type, don't want to deter the foxes though. This is the
one I am looking at:
http://www.coopersofstortford.co.uk/...=ST05942&super
category=G&branch=&wcategory=PEST-G Bazza

I've got two sonic cat scarers. One in the front garden and one in the
rear garden. They do work OK. Not identical to yours, but they work,
and we haven't had a cat in the back garden for two years now. Worth
every penny.

For £19.99 I will give it a go, as I said I don't want to deter the
Foxes which could happen if it was a permanent setup but with this I can
target the cats from the house when I put out the left overs in the
evenings(they do run away as soon as they see me, probably from the time
I managed to soak them with the hosepipe) .
The cats are always there waiting for me to walk back to the house and
help themselves, can't blame them as it is a free meal to them but they
often eat it all before the foxes appear.
Sometimes the foxes do appear at the same time as the cats and it is
quite amusing to watch them both circling the dish, dive in in turn to
grab something and eat it at a safe distance, on one occasion a badger
turned up at the same time, it just barged in, you couldn't see the fox
and cat for dust.
Maybe that is the answer, get a pet Badger, more interesting than a dog
or a cat

Bazza

Sigh, why is mine ignored by cats, are Manchester cats deaf?

Are there too many other noises so they learn to ignore it, along with
all the traffic etc?
Beryl
Old 17-06-2007, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Alan contains these words:

In message , Beryl Harwood
wrote

But you don't 'own' a cat - it owns you!!

This is typical response from the irresponsible members of our society
who don't bother to control their pets.

I have never been able to
control where a cat 'performs' nor to stop them catching birds

Then don't keep cats.

I don't!!!
I like to feed the birds that visit my garden! I am sure pleny here
would have a much longer list than I can create but l love to see them,
even in my tiny garden.

Blackbird Blue Tit Chaffinch
Coal Tit Collared Dove Dunnock
Robin Greenfinch Wren
House Sparrow Song Thrush Starling
Jay Wood Pigeon Magpie
Goldfinch Pied wagtail Lesser Spotted
Woodpecker
Nuthatch Great Tit Crow

Beryl
Old 07-07-2007, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hello

I know this is an emotive subject and indeed I have already had my
fingers burned when I added a link to an official government petition.
However as this thread already exists I don't see that it would do
harm to add it here!

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/control-pet-cats/

This is a much more level headed one from some of the extreme ones to
be found and as such may get more attention.
If you agree please vote.
If you don't then you need do nothing.

For the record I don't hate cats, I dislike the owners who buy/get
cats for the kids and then leave the cats to roam free.
I do indeed hate it when well fed cats kill the wildlife in my garden
that I strive so hard to promote.
I also do hate getting cats mess on me and finding my plats uprooted.

I have raised the concern, lets see if those in charge of our destiny
can come up with an answer.

Thanks for your time.

Old 07-07-2007, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Mikesndbs writes
Hello

I know this is an emotive subject and indeed I have already had my
fingers burned when I added a link to an official government petition.
However as this thread already exists I don't see that it would do
harm to add it here!

Perhaps.

But if we all follow your lead and post links to petitions about issues
that we are concerned about, then the gardening content of the group
will get swamped.
--
Kay
Old 07-07-2007, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Anne Jackson writes
The message from K contains these words:
Mikesndbs writes
Hello

I know this is an emotive subject and indeed I have already had my
fingers burned when I added a link to an official government petition.
However as this thread already exists I don't see that it would do
harm to add it here!

Perhaps.

But if we all follow your lead and post links to petitions about issues
that we are concerned about, then the gardening content of the group
will get swamped.

Cats _are_ of concern to gardeners, though...as evidenced by the
multitudes of threads in the past.

Yes, but that petition isn't going to do anything about their defecating
in the garden, which is what the multitudes of threads are about. I
could start posting links to the Cats Protection League using the same
logic.
--
Kay

Old 07-07-2007, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 05:26:50 -0700, Mikesndbs
wrote:

Hello

I know this is an emotive subject and indeed I have already had my
fingers burned when I added a link to an official government petition.
However as this thread already exists I don't see that it would do
harm to add it here!

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/control-pet-cats/

It's a pity you haven't something more worthwhile to worry about ffs.

Why don't you start a new petition for all cats to wear a nappy?
Old 07-07-2007, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Well at least I am trying!
And without suggesting any harm to the cats!
Cats are as someone said here a concern to gardeners hence posting to
a garden forum.
Also, if some controls were brought in then it would stop the issue of
cats messing in other people gardens, or at least make it the cat
owner who has to got the time and expense of keeping their animals out
of your garden.

To those who have supported this thanks very much.
To those who persistently moan and make witless comments go get a
life!

I will not come back to this thread or read any more replies.

Oh! one last thing, another petition is for cats to attract a child
benefit! this shows the level of some of the owners and why we need
the government to make a ruling on the matter.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 7, 4:28 pm, K wrote:

Yes, but that petition isn't going to do anything about their defecating
in the garden, which is what the multitudes of threads are about. I
could start posting links to the Cats Protection League using the same
logic.

I usually have a couple of feral cats in my garden and I have learned
to live with them even though I don't like them. Just recently there
has only been one, my neighbour told me that a fox killed it and it
will often kill cats, I have never heard of that before. We do get
foxes in the garden and also deer, badger, ducks, pheasants. Our lawn
sometimes resembles an animal lavatory but we have learned to live
with that too, I just wish I could identify the poo so that I know who
is doing what.

Judith

Old 08-07-2007, 01:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Anne Jackson was thinking very hard :
The message from K contains these words:
Mikesndbs writes
Hello

I know this is an emotive subject and indeed I have already had my
fingers burned when I added a link to an official government petition.
However as this thread already exists I don't see that it would do
harm to add it here!

Perhaps.

But if we all follow your lead and post links to petitions about issues
that we are concerned about, then the gardening content of the group
will get swamped.

Cats _are_ of concern to gardeners, though...as evidenced by the
multitudes of threads in the past.

Cats are wild animals that are just doing what is natural to them.

--
Count Baldoni

Old 08-07-2007, 01:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

pretended :
On Jul 7, 4:28 pm, K wrote:

Yes, but that petition isn't going to do anything about their defecating
in the garden, which is what the multitudes of threads are about. I
could start posting links to the Cats Protection League using the same
logic.

I usually have a couple of feral cats in my garden and I have learned
to live with them even though I don't like them. Just recently there
has only been one, my neighbour told me that a fox killed it and it
will often kill cats, I have never heard of that before. We do get
foxes in the garden and also deer, badger, ducks, pheasants. Our lawn
sometimes resembles an animal lavatory but we have learned to live
with that too, I just wish I could identify the poo so that I know who
is doing what.

Judith

A fox came into our garden and frightend the chipmonks which were in
their run.

My wife kept on at me so I shot him dead. She never spoke to me for 2
days then.

I think the best thing to do with cats is to fill up some empty
lemonade bottles with water and leave them on the ground, this seems to
deter them. Also in fine soil I break up a beanpole into small pieces
and plant them in the soil to stop the cat from squatting down.

--
Count Baldoni

Old 08-07-2007, 01:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mikesndbs" wrote in message
oups.com...
For the record I don't hate cats, I dislike the owners who buy/get
cats for the kids and then leave the cats to roam free.
I do indeed hate it when well fed cats kill the wildlife in my garden
that I strive so hard to promote.
I also do hate getting cats mess on me and finding my plats uprooted.

Can you explain this a bit more? I have two cats, and dislike having to
rescue screaming frogs from them and clearing up rodent entrails, but I see
little a petition will do about the annoyance? If a cat is killing birds
then perhaps a bell will solve the problem. Any other wildlife will not have
the benefit of sharp senses and wings and will not be able to get away in
time.

As for them shitting in your garden, how will a bell help this? Cats do crap
wherever the hell they want, despite your best efforts. Buy some cat
repellant. Starting some kind of petition will not solve this. Perhaps I
should start a petition to get whiney old farts banned from the internet so
they can't start petitions against minor issues with no workable resolution?
Or you could just shut the **** up?

Old 08-07-2007, 08:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Crundy
wrote

Buy some cat
repellant.

Why does the victim have to always pay to control other peoples pets?

Cat repellent should be free to anyone who needs it. The cost of this
service can be paid by the cat owners with a 'tax' on vets bills and cat
food.

Starting some kind of petition will not solve this. Perhaps I
should start a petition to get whiney old farts banned from the internet so
they can't start petitions against minor issues with no workable resolution?

There is more than one workable solution.

Or you could just shut the **** up?

Typical reaction of a cat owner!
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old 08-07-2007, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Google for scarecrow and buy one of the motion activated sprayers. I used
one for a few weeks and found that cats learnt not to come into the garden.
Our major problem though was badgers and herons and it cured them! It
sprayed me a few times as well when I forgot to turn it off!! Nowadays, I
use it when needed

Perhaps you and a few of your friends/neighbours who have a similar problem
should club together and buy one. Used for a few weeks now and then and all
will be pleased.

Geoff

Old 08-07-2007, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The thing about cats is they always do their business in other peoples
gardens!!!!

Its as if they know

Old 08-07-2007, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mikesndbs" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I have a cat. I've recently moved it (and me!) from an urban to a rural
location. In the urban environment we would get very occasional kills
(usually mice/shres/voles but one or two small birds).

Since we moved the kill rate has increased. Now, if she was killing lots
of birds I would be worried. However, the majority of her kills remain
mice/shrews/voles. She has also had 3 small rabbits and 1 mole (at least
we think she had the mole, we found the body where she has taken the rabbits
previously and we've seen her catch and eat a rabbit there).

The rabbits are a real nusiance. They damage plants. I don't want her to
kill birds (well, I might not object to some wood pigeons) but if she can
keep down the rabbit population I'm cheering her on. I don't want her
hobbled by having to wear a bell.

But I also have sympathy for people who object to cats. We have some beds
we don't want her to use so we use cat pepper and, as someone else
suggested, short sticks at close spacing.

In the end, I don't know the answer.