Old 15-06-2007, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cats in garden

Hi all,
I encourage wildlife into my garden which is visited and nested by
Birds, squirrels, Fox's,badgers,frogs,toads, newts and the occasional
sloworm and grassnake, I also have an aviary with Cockatiels.

All nice and cosy apart from 2 large black cats, these have collars and
look well fed so I assume they are from some where down the street.
They crap in the garden, have caught collared doves and the other birds
and eat the food I put out for the Badgers and Fox's not to mention
trying to terrorise my cockatiels.
I have been looking for ways to discourage them without harming the rest
of the wildlife.
I don't want a dog or a cat, don't spend enough time at home to do them
justice.
I have looked at sensor watering systems etc.. but have come across this
one:

http://tinyurl.com/2evhnr.

Anybody any experience of this or similar?

I am a pretty good shot and lots of patience so quite fancy it

Bazza
Old 15-06-2007, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bazza wrote:
[...]

A BB gun with plastic pellets, shoot em up the arse a few times.

--
MSN
Email

WebCam
http://nitromax.ww.com
Location Telford, Shropshire

Old 15-06-2007, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nitro® wrote:
Bazza wrote:
[...]

I do have a Musket and shot but don't want to jepordise my licence,
Want to take a softly softly approach first
Old 15-06-2007, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

All nice and cosy apart from 2 large black cats, these have collars and
look well fed so I assume they are from some where down the street.
Bazza

There have been quite a few threads on this recently. The best one I read
involved getting a trap (cat clamp). It doesn't harm the cats but they don't
like being caged up for an hour or three. Apparently you can optionally take
the caged cats along to somewhere (forgot where but I'm sure someone else
will fill in the missing details) and they will release the cat for a
release fee! A bit like car clamping but for cats! It certainly makes owners
take more responsibility for their animals!

David.

Old 15-06-2007, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "David \(Normandy\)" contains these words:

All nice and cosy apart from 2 large black cats, these have collars and
look well fed so I assume they are from some where down the street.
Bazza

There have been quite a few threads on this recently. The best one I read
involved getting a trap (cat clamp). It doesn't harm the cats but they
don't
like being caged up for an hour or three. Apparently you can
optionally take
the caged cats along to somewhere (forgot where but I'm sure someone else
will fill in the missing details) and they will release the cat for a
release fee! A bit like car clamping but for cats! It certainly makes
owners
take more responsibility for their animals!

But you don't 'own' a cat - it owns you!! I have never been able to
control where a cat 'performs' nor to stop them catching birds
Occasionally I find a pile of stray feathers in my garden so I guess one
of the local feline population [thankfully small] has had an extra meal
courtesy of my bird table.

Beryl

Old 15-06-2007, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

"David (Normandy)" writes

All nice and cosy apart from 2 large black cats, these have collars and
look well fed so I assume they are from some where down the street.
Bazza

There have been quite a few threads on this recently. The best one I read
involved getting a trap (cat clamp). It doesn't harm the cats but they don't
like being caged up for an hour or three. Apparently you can optionally take
the caged cats along to somewhere (forgot where but I'm sure someone else
will fill in the missing details) and they will release the cat for a
release fee! A bit like car clamping but for cats! It certainly makes owners
take more responsibility for their animals!

Since there is no law saying that the owner must confine a cat to his
own land, or stop it going on to someone else's land, trapping a cat
and refusing to release it except for payment would seem to be a bit
problematical.
--
Kay
Old 15-06-2007, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Feed them.

Try Chicken and wallpaper stripper but my favourite was beef and warfarin
(100mg), The cats ceased to be a problem!

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

Old 16-06-2007, 12:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message

All nice and cosy apart from 2 large black cats, these have collars and
look well fed so I assume they are from some where down the street.
Bazza

There have been quite a few threads on this recently. The best one I read
involved getting a trap (cat clamp). It doesn't harm the cats but they
don't like being caged up for an hour or three.

Give it a good soak with the garden hose. Apparently, that helps.
Graham

Old 16-06-2007, 12:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Beryl Harwood
wrote

But you don't 'own' a cat - it owns you!!

This is typical response from the irresponsible members of our society
who don't bother to control their pets.

I have never been able to
control where a cat 'performs' nor to stop them catching birds

Then don't keep cats.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Old 16-06-2007, 12:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"graham" wrote in message

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message

All nice and cosy apart from 2 large black cats, these have collars and
look well fed so I assume they are from some where down the street.
Bazza

There have been quite a few threads on this recently. The best one I read
involved getting a trap (cat clamp). It doesn't harm the cats but they
don't like being caged up for an hour or three.

Give it a good soak with the garden hose. Apparently, that helps.
Graham

I would go with this, or a water pistol so long as it is not too high
pressured. I have three cats and try to control them. Most times I fail,
with two of them. The third prefers to go in our front garden. I have
mentioned to neighbours that a water pistol aimed just right will do the
trick. Just not too high pressure!!

Old 16-06-2007, 01:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Beryl Harwood" wrote in message
The message
from "David \(Normandy\)" contains these words:

But you don't 'own' a cat - it owns you!! I have never been able to
control where a cat 'performs' nor to stop them catching birds
Occasionally I find a pile of stray feathers in my garden so I guess one
of the local feline population [thankfully small] has had an extra meal
courtesy of my bird table.

Beryl

One responsible cat owner I know keeps hers on a leash when she lets it out.
That way, it can roam over most of her front lawn but nobody else's.
So simple!
Graham

Old 16-06-2007, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Beryl Harwood
wrote

But you don't 'own' a cat - it owns you!!

This is typical response from the irresponsible members of our society who
don't bother to control their pets.

I have never been able to
control where a cat 'performs' nor to stop them catching birds

Then don't keep cats.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

you do know where cats originated..................no, you know nothing
about them.

Old 16-06-2007, 07:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

.. .

"Bazza" wrote in message
[...]

I bet you a little fat chap with a bald head and plenty tattoos and your
wear those short sleeve T shirts.....................right.

Old 16-06-2007, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"graham" wrote in message

"Beryl Harwood" wrote in message
The message
from "David \(Normandy\)" contains these
words:

But you don't 'own' a cat - it owns you!! I have never been able to
control where a cat 'performs' nor to stop them catching birds
Occasionally I find a pile of stray feathers in my garden so I guess one
of the local feline population [thankfully small] has had an extra meal
courtesy of my bird table.

Beryl

One responsible cat owner I know keeps hers on a leash when she lets it
out. That way, it can roam over most of her front lawn but nobody else's.
So simple!
Graham

Just 4 words stand out there and speak a thousand words ..........
..

""One responsible cat owner""

such a rare thing these days.

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 16-06-2007, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Yes Baby wrote:
.. .

"Bazza" wrote in message
[...]

Is that aimed at me Yes Baby?? I am 5'11", slim, head of hair, no
tattoos and hate short sleeve shirts.

I also abhor unnecessary suffering to any creatures and do not even kill
flies out of hand. I am a committed meat eater but do not use
insecticide in the garden,my plants are designed to encourage insect
life, if greenfly are a pest in the greenhouse I introduce natural
predators, everything goes in a circle.
Whilst I am at it I also detest any form of killing for fun, as a kid I
used to hunt rabbits with dogs and ferrets but they always ended up on
the table.
Deterrent is better than cure that is why I am interested in the item
from the web link.

Bazza