Old 15-06-2007, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default When is it too late to sow seeds outside?

I'm located in the North East and am new to vegetable gardening. I
want to sow some seeds outside: squash, french beans, peas, broccoli
and courgette. On the back of the packets it tells me that I can sow
them directly into the ground in June at the latest but I still need
to get my plot sorted out (dig it and add compost). It's raining cats
and dogs and I've heard it's not good for the soil to dig/cultivate it
when it's wet. So should I wait, plant the seeds in some pots to get
them going or get my act together and get the plot sorted asap?

Old 15-06-2007, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm located in the North East and am new to vegetable gardening. I
want to sow some seeds outside: squash, french beans, peas, broccoli
and courgette. On the back of the packets it tells me that I can sow
them directly into the ground in June at the latest but I still need
to get my plot sorted out (dig it and add compost). It's raining cats
and dogs and I've heard it's not good for the soil to dig/cultivate it
when it's wet. So should I wait, plant the seeds in some pots to get
them going or get my act together and get the plot sorted asap?

If I were you I'd get them going in seed trays / small pots in some seed
compost on a window sill or two and wait until the ground is dry enough to
work or you will just create a sludgy mess.

David.

Old 15-06-2007, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Now is fine. All mine are in (and have been for weeks) but you will be
limited in later months by not having a temperature high enough for
germination.

Start them off under glass now or direct into soil.

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way
"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old 18-06-2007, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I'm waiting on a delivery of
compost but will get some stuff going in some pots in the meantime.