Old 17-06-2007, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Starting to wonder about getting a greenhouse

Starting to wonder about getting a greenhouse.
Don't know anything about it.
Any advice about where to begin my education?
--
Chris
Old 17-06-2007, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris ] wrote:
: Starting to wonder about getting a greenhouse.
: Don't know anything about it.
: Any advice about where to begin my education?

Put mine up recently with a lot of help and bought it from Eden Greenhouses
online. Very satisfied with them

Old 17-06-2007, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris" wrote
Starting to wonder about getting a greenhouse.
Don't know anything about it.
Any advice about where to begin my education?

Sounds like a silly question but it is pertinent...
What do you wish to grow in it?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 17-06-2007, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bob Hobden
writes
"Chris" wrote
Starting to wonder about getting a greenhouse.
Don't know anything about it.
Any advice about where to begin my education?

Sounds like a silly question but it is pertinent...
What do you wish to grow in it?

Seedlings, tomatoes, cucumbers, possibly grapes ...
and then see what possibilities occur to me when the greenhouse is
available.
--
Chris
Old 17-06-2007, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris" wrote
after Bob Hobden asked
"Chris"
Starting to wonder about getting a greenhouse.
Don't know anything about it.
Any advice about where to begin my education?

Sounds like a silly question but it is pertinent...
What do you wish to grow in it?

Seedlings, tomatoes, cucumbers, possibly grapes ...
and then see what possibilities occur to me when the greenhouse is
available.

Position is traditionally on a North/South axis so both sides get sun. If
you have the land available position it on the north side of your land so
you have full control of light getting to your house. You wouldn't want it
on the S side and then find that neighbour plants a Leylandii hedge and just
lets it grow...seen that with two of my neighbours.

You will need roof vents and side louvers at ground level to get a good air
flow through the house and stop it getting too hot in summer, if you work
then get automatic openers for both.
See if you can get water and electricity laid on as they will make your life
much easier.

Don't rush in, take your time and look at all the makes and options.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 18-06-2007, 08:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Chris" wrote
after Bob Hobden asked
"Chris"
[...]

I would only add that it will not be big enough! so go for the largest one
you can.
My 14x8's are always stuffed with things all over the floor etc while my
first little 6x8 has tomatoes in it and with only 6 plants we can not
actually get in it now they have become so large!
As Bob says without automatic vents you will have many disasters and if they
are offered always take extra vents, I also find double width doors a big
boon.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 18-06-2007, 06:01 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris[_3_] View Post
Starting to wonder about getting a greenhouse.
Don't know anything about it.
Any advice about where to begin my education?
--
Chris
Try this set of pages, this goes into all sorts of details about choosing a greenhouse and some of the main manufacturers are reviewed.
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/greenh...election_1.asp
Old 20-06-2007, 11:29 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris[_3_] View Post
Starting to wonder about getting a greenhouse.
Don't know anything about it.
Any advice about where to begin my education?
--
Chris
What ever greenhouse you buy you will always wish you had bought a larger one the following year. So my advice is that if you think you need a 6 x 8 then buy a 12 x 8! Save you a lot of worry and disappointment.

Look for windbraces in each corner of each side, ditto the roof. These are diaginal straps from top to bottom. Must have.

Buy two louvre windows to be placed at low level on one side. This will help with air changes as the cooler air pushes out he warmer air through the roof windows.

Anchor the house down very securley. Stops it flying over into next door in a strong wind.

Make a net curtain for the door frame to stop he birds flying in and getting distressed. It keeps the cats out too.

Keep it clean inside and out!

Happy growing!