Old 18-06-2007, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Nature at its best

i made a shallow wildlife pond just before christmas gone,it has
gravel/pebbles.I am amazed at how wildlife has sprung from what seems
nowhere!Frogs/toads appeared,lots of pond snails,pond skates?,and tiny knat
looking things swimming about?And to my surprise whilst adding some plants
today spotted a newt!
Can you tell i am happy about this.
I find it amazing how a new pond can have such interest in such a short
period of time.
Thanks Keith

Old 18-06-2007, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
reg reg is offline

"Keith Kent" wrote in message
i made a shallow wildlife pond just before christmas gone,it has
gravel/pebbles.I am amazed at how wildlife has sprung from what seems
nowhere!Frogs/toads appeared,lots of pond snails,pond skates?,and tiny knat
looking things swimming about?And to my surprise whilst adding some plants
today spotted a newt!
Can you tell i am happy about this.
I find it amazing how a new pond can have such interest in such a short
period of time.
Thanks Keith

nice one keith, good to see the wild life being encouraged back into the
gardens, any pics ?

Old 19-06-2007, 12:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Keith Kent" contains these words:

i made a shallow wildlife pond just before christmas gone,it has
gravel/pebbles.I am amazed at how wildlife has sprung from what seems
nowhere!Frogs/toads appeared,lots of pond snails,pond skates?,and tiny knat
looking things swimming about?And to my surprise whilst adding some plants
today spotted a newt!
Can you tell i am happy about this.
I find it amazing how a new pond can have such interest in such a short
period of time.
Thanks Keith

Fascinating. congratulations.

I have tried to make a 'pond' but I don't have the space to make a
proper one and it is just a bowl type thing. Right now,despite a small
fountain it still smells stale

Beryl
Old 19-06-2007, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/6/07 22:34, in article , "reg"
wrote:

"Keith Kent" wrote in message
i made a shallow wildlife pond just before christmas gone,it has
gravel/pebbles.I am amazed at how wildlife has sprung from what seems
nowhere!Frogs/toads appeared,lots of pond snails,pond skates?,and tiny knat
looking things swimming about?And to my surprise whilst adding some plants
today spotted a newt!
Can you tell i am happy about this.
I find it amazing how a new pond can have such interest in such a short
period of time.
Thanks Keith

nice one keith, good to see the wild life being encouraged back into the
gardens, any pics ?

I agree. It's lovely to see people making ponds because they have been in
short supply for water wildlife. It's astonishing how quickly all sorts of
creatures find water and colonise it.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 19-06-2007, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Beryl Harwood" wrote in message
The message
from "Keith Kent" contains these words:

i made a shallow wildlife pond just before christmas gone,it has
gravel/pebbles.I am amazed at how wildlife has sprung from what seems
nowhere!Frogs/toads appeared,lots of pond snails,pond skates?,and tiny
knat
looking things swimming about?And to my surprise whilst adding some
plants
today spotted a newt!
Can you tell i am happy about this.
I find it amazing how a new pond can have such interest in such a short
period of time.
Thanks Keith

Fascinating. congratulations.

I have tried to make a 'pond' but I don't have the space to make a
proper one and it is just a bowl type thing. Right now,despite a small
fountain it still smells stale

Have you planted any pond plants?

Lilies are very good at keeping water clear, but they may not like the
fountain.

Beryl

Old 19-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Kent View Post
i made a shallow wildlife pond just before christmas gone,it has
gravel/pebbles.I am amazed at how wildlife has sprung from what seems
nowhere!Frogs/toads appeared,lots of pond snails,pond skates?,and tiny knat
looking things swimming about?And to my surprise whilst adding some plants
today spotted a newt!
Can you tell i am happy about this.
I find it amazing how a new pond can have such interest in such a short
period of time.
Thanks Keith
Nature are fantastic! I made a small one only say 1 sq m surface area but had a depth of 500mm at one end with a shelf only 50mm at the other. I put two small tiddler goldfish to eat the mossys. Planted the edges but put the plants in pond contaiers filled with gravel not soil. This reduces the greening effect. Add some oxygenating weed and everything balances out with clear water. Birds are bathing and drinking. hedgehogs visiting, its always alive with some activity. Much better than large showy ponds with filters, coi carp and money etc.
Old 19-06-2007, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Keith Kent
writes
i made a shallow wildlife pond just before christmas gone,it has
gravel/pebbles.I am amazed at how wildlife has sprung from what seems
nowhere!Frogs/toads appeared,lots of pond snails,pond skates?,and tiny knat
looking things swimming about?And to my surprise whilst adding some plants
today spotted a newt!
Can you tell i am happy about this.
I find it amazing how a new pond can have such interest in such a short
period of time.

Every garden should have one!
The pond skater will be the common pond skater, Gerris lacustris. I
don't know what the tiny gnat like things are, possibly mosquito larvae
but they are not really swimmers - see if you can spot something on
Buglife http://www.buglife.org.uk/ or a similar site.

A really good resource for garden wildlife ponds is
http://www.english-nature.org.uk/pub...ardenPonds.pdf
(775Kb)
--
Robert
Old 22-06-2007, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

[...]

I have a water iris in there, but that is not flourishing greatly
either. It is survising though.
The bown is not big enough to put a lily in it. It has a buttercup when
I first created it but that was too vigourous.
--
Beryl

Winsford, Cheshire