Old 19-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Registered User

Question Rain damage to plants

I have recently joined the forum and have posted several times but no reply

The problem I have is with the rain we have had the last few days, my lupins are all lying flat ..... going to stake them back up to see if that makes a difference.

But what i really wanted to know is .... summer pots I have planted up are also now flat .... litteraly like someone has sat on them.

I have a huge pot out the front and that has "mimulas" in. Everyone who passes the house comments on how lovely it looked. But now even that is lying flat.

I have checked all the stalkes etc and nothing appears broken but they are lying flat. Instead of standing tall, they are lying lifeless looking and lying all drapped over the edges of the pots, with a big bare patch in the middle (like someones sat on them).

What I dont know (being newbie gardener) is will they just spring back up in a day or two, or do i need to do anything? or are they ruined?

If someone could please answer I would be very very grateful as Im starting to feel that new people arent welcome here
Old 19-06-2007, 08:26 PM
Registered User

Still no replies
Old 20-06-2007, 11:18 AM
Registered User

[quote=Sam1974x;722593]I have recently joined the forum and have posted several times but no reply

The problem I have is with the rain we have had the last few days, my lupins are all lying flat ..... going to stake them back up to see if that makes a difference.

But what i really wanted to know is .... summer pots I have planted up are also now flat .... litteraly like someone has sat on them.

I have a huge pot out the front and that has "mimulas" in. Everyone who passes the house comments on how lovely it looked. But now even that is lying flat.

I have checked all the stalkes etc and nothing appears broken but they are lying flat. Instead of standing tall, they are lying lifeless looking and lying all drapped over the edges of the pots, with a big bare patch in the middle (like someones sat on them).

What I dont know (being newbie gardener) is will they just spring back up in a day or two, or do i need to do anything? or are they ruined?

If someone could please answer I would be very very grateful as Im starting to feel that new people arent welcome here [Dont know why people arnt replying to you but I will! If the Lupin stems arnt broken then stake them back up verticle. If looky a bit dodgy then cut off the central main flower and you'll get secondery flowers from the side. The bedding in pots shopuld come back OK. Its the unusual force of the rain just now. Dont worry.
Old 20-06-2007, 02:49 PM
Registered User

Thank you for your reply
Old 25-06-2007, 09:08 AM
Registered User

Location: South Oxfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1974x View Post
Thank you for your reply
Hello Sam,

Know how you feel! I am starting to feel like the thread-killer, every time I add a comment it is either ignored in further responses, or no-one adds any more to the thread.

I can't imagine that it's deliberate, as the people on here all seem to be very nice, as well as very knowledgeable, but I have to agree that they aren't quite as keen to "chat" to us newcomers.

Regarding your problem, I know it's a bit obvious but are they lying flat and wilted through lack of water? If that's not the problem, then it almost sounds like a cat making it a habit of lying curled up on them....! in which case the addition of a clump of twiggy branches in the middle of the pot might stop them.

Do please keep on posting, though!

Rachel
www.Rachel-The-Gardener.co.uk (still building website, don't expect too much!)
Jobbing Gardener, South Oxfordshire
Living Willow Sculptures and Plant Sales