Old 19-06-2007, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Possible emergency? White stuff

Noticed this morning.
There has suddenly appeared a white deposit on an area of earth about a
yard square - underneath a silver birch (which may not be relevant).

What on earth can it be?
I don't like to even touch it without knowing.

I scraped a bit up on the tip of a stainless steel table knife - and it
seems to be about a millimetre thick - possibly some kind of fungus -
paste-like when squashed - doesn't cover the whole area - just blotches
of it on the ground.

How can I find out what it is?
Should I be concerned?
Might urgent action be needed?
--
Chris
Old 19-06-2007, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
Noticed this morning.
There has suddenly appeared a white deposit on an area of earth about a
yard square - underneath a silver birch (which may not be relevant).

What on earth can it be?

Pollen probably. Washed off by rain, collects in a puddle which then dries
out to form...

Old 22-06-2007, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ], Chris ]
writes
Noticed this morning.
There has suddenly appeared a white deposit on an area of earth about a
yard square - underneath a silver birch (which may not be relevant).

What on earth can it be?
I don't like to even touch it without knowing.

I scraped a bit up on the tip of a stainless steel table knife - and it
seems to be about a millimetre thick - possibly some kind of fungus -
paste-like when squashed - doesn't cover the whole area - just blotches
of it on the ground.

How can I find out what it is?
Should I be concerned?
Might urgent action be needed?

A neighbour's garden has a fungus that forms a blanket on or in the soil
in shady places. It seems to be harmless.

--
Sue ]
Old 25-06-2007, 12:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Silver birches have a friendly fungus that grows on the roots, it's
totally harmless indeed |I think the tree actually benefits from it.
can't remember the name though,

Should be not problem at all.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 25-06-2007, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
Silver birches have a friendly fungus that grows on the roots, it's
totally harmless indeed |I think the tree actually benefits from it.
can't remember the name though,

Should be not problem at all.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

I heard a program on radio 4 last week or so where a scientist was
explaining that almost all plants rely on a friendly fungus (I think he used
a different term). I recall he mentioned that the best example being
Bluebells that can't get enough process phosphorus without it.

Old 25-06-2007, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

], I, Marvo, say :

Noticed this morning.
There has suddenly appeared a white deposit on an area of earth about
a yard square - underneath a silver birch (which may not be relevant).

What on earth can it be?
I don't like to even touch it without knowing.

I scraped a bit up on the tip of a stainless steel table knife - and
it seems to be about a millimetre thick - possibly some kind of
fungus - paste-like when squashed - doesn't cover the whole area -
just blotches of it on the ground.

How can I find out what it is?
Should I be concerned?
Might urgent action be needed?

Oddly, I found exactly the same thing after the heavy rain at the weekend.

It turned out, after inspection under a magnifying glass, to be tiny fungi,
like pointy mushrooms. I think they were imported with the rotted horse
manure than had been used to fill that particular hole a few weeks ago.

Nothing to worry about, but certainly not big enough for frying :-)

HTH

Old 25-06-2007, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
Silver birches have a friendly fungus that grows on the roots, it's
totally harmless indeed |I think the tree actually benefits from it. can't
remember the name though,

Should be not problem at all.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

mycorrhizal symbioses is wot u iz afta:-)

Old 25-06-2007, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 09:18:40 +0100, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:

Noticed this morning.
There has suddenly appeared a white deposit on an area of earth about
a yard square - underneath a silver birch (which may not be relevant).

What on earth can it be?
I don't like to even touch it without knowing.

A very similar question was answered on GQT yesterday. The fungus is
beneficial. Listen to the repeat on Weds or online.

Pam in Bristol
Old 25-06-2007, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
writes

mycorrhizal symbioses is wot u iz afta:-)

Ah yes, the correct words woz on the tip o' me tongue
Old 26-06-2007, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 25, 11:01 am, "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)"
wrote:
"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message

Silver birches have a friendly fungus that grows on the roots, it's
totally harmless indeed |I think the tree actually benefits from it. can't
remember the name though,

Should be not problem at all.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

mycorrhizal symbioses is wot u iz afta:-)

Dat's dem; de very tings alright!!!!